User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Typeism

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Typeism

I searched for a thread that examined this aspect of the MBTI personality theory. Typeism provides a unique opportunity to look into some aspects of prejudicial thinking because there are people who are sincere in their assumptions regarding type. With the other "isms" like sexism, racism, etc. there is a cultural and historical context that influences the assumptions of prejudice. These can often be connected to underlying political and religious thought. Most people learn these assumptions from their parents and authorities they trust. My own understanding was that prejudice was primarily driven by this deep context and indoctrination during childhood. This is not typically the case with typeism. This is a fresh way of categorizing people and yet shares a similar outcome without culturally based prejudices. It is interesting just how powerful these prejudicial conclusions can become even without any deeper cultural context. Or is there a deeper context that is labeled differently and this system is a way of expressing those unquestioned values?

What are the reasons that even intelligent, insightful people embrace assumptions about others and label them as inferior based on their MBTI category when it is in itself a system that is not scientifically founded? As a system that does not have a valid method of measurement, it would seem the critical thinker would have some reservations about its validity.

This is a link to a review that summarizes the book, "The Cult of Personality..." by Dr. Cathy Goodwin.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    What are the reasons that even intelligent, insightful people embrace assumptions about others and label them as inferior based on their MBTI category when it is in itself a system that is not scientifically founded?
    Not enough Ti.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think some people tend to see personality typing as something in which their type or temperament is 'superior' to others.. "Gifts Differing" and other personality type books indirectly caused much of the typeism after statistics showed that N's did better on standardized tests than S's and had more 'intellectual jobs'.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Not enough Ti.
    FTW!
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

heart on fire

People have things that bother them in their interactions with other people's personalities their whole lives but maybe only a vague way to describe it. If they have something like tyoplogy it gives them a language to use to describe tensions and feelings that were already there. At least that's how I see it.

Long before typology I knew my father looked at the world in a different way. I would have said harder, colder etc, which reveals my own prejudices/preferences as Feeler. I didn't need to know about typology to feel or know the tension existing between his view and mine. My mother accused me of being "head in the clouds" all the time. I didn't need typology to know there was tension between her preferred way of looking at life and mine. Typology merely provided a language to more clearly express things. It didn't create the tension.

If a person had a uncomfortablness with Feelers before learning typology, then can one really say typology created the prejudice or is it just making a previous prejudice more valid and tangible? I say it's building on something that pre-exists it.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Not enough ENFJs in the world. Troo dat.

It's sad, isn't it, Toons? How something enlightening and focusing and directive can be turned, once again, into something divisive and ugly? Segregation deserves a massive cosmic eyeroll, girlfriend.

Heart makes a good point too. Maybe typology puts a finger on what bothers or antagonizes people, and the internal anxiety or division extroverts itself.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I think some people tend to see personality typing as something in which their type or temperament is 'superior' to others.. "Gifts Differing" and other personality type books indirectly caused much of the typeism after statistics showed that N's did better on standardized tests than S's and had more 'intellectual jobs'.
    And it does make sense for people who prefer certain attributes in themselves to prefer these same ones in others.

The problem with those statistics is that the original measurement for determining type does not pass the validity test for measurements, so what can the statistic built on the flawed system of measurement actually determine?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP

Survival. If you want to ensure a comfortable existence for yourself you have to (of course you don't have to; I am putting myself in an elitist's shoes) a) become aware of the existing social class (or create one) and b) make damned sure you're in an upper tier.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    And it does make sense for people who prefer certain attributes in themselves to prefer these same ones in others.

The problem with those statistics is that the original measurement for determining type does not pass the validity test for measurements, so what can the statistic built on the flawed system of measurement actually determine?
    Like most prejudiced isms it is measured based on nothing objective.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    But the everyday world really values S more than N.
    E more than I
    T more than F
    J more than P

So the feeling of superiority can only really live inside the abstract worlds of MBTI message boards. Doesn't seem likely to take over the world.