User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Typeism

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Are you familiar with the idea of narcissistic supplies? It's very apropos.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Can you explain this, Edahn? I'm not familiar with the term.

Is it about an ego-centric search for something that justifies your views? Or am I way off?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'd like to know what that is also. I'm not familiar with that term.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

heart on fire

Narcissists cultivate yes men who supply them with platitudes.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    But the everyday world really values S more than N.
    E more than I
    T more than F
    J more than P

So the feeling of superiority can only really live inside the abstract worlds of MBTI message boards. Doesn't seem likely to take over the world.
    So society favors ESTJ's?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    So society favors ESTJ's?
    I tend to think so---even if they don't know to call them ESTJ, that's what society wants however. ESFJ, well okay, there good too, if they subordinate feeling.

garbage

Have there been many examples of blatant "type discrimination" that have had actual consequences?

As to why it happens.. it's just idiots misapplying the tool, just as any tool can be misapplied and misinterpreted by idiots. I blame the idiots.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Have there been many examples of blatant "type discrimination" that have had actual consequences?

As to why it happens.. it's just idiots misapplying the tool, just as any tool can be misapplied and misinterpreted by idiots. I blame the idiots.
    Eh, most of it either gets ignored or mobbed out of existence.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    But the everyday world really values S more than N.
    E more than I
    T more than F
    J more than P
    Well, I'm totally f***ked then.

Oh, you're a INFP too. Lets be useless and impractical together

Seriously though, its totally true. Its not 'society's' fault or anything. Its just that these (E,S,T and J) are the most effective attributes to get yourself through life. I'm not talking about personal preferences but more of what is generally valued in the world - these prefences are simply more practical and helpful. If you were choosing a president/prime minister/whatever based on each of the dichotomies (disregarding the overall type) you would pick those above the others. Of course this does not mean a ESTJ is the most ideal type of human being, but merely that having a couple of the 'valued' preferences is going to be very beneficial in helping you engage with the world.

I guess this is the reason INFPs feel like failures and freaks. We have absolutely no practical qualities and instead have to supress our natural instincts to function effectively. And that's not easy, believe me. I wouldn't call this typism exactly, though. Its just the way the world works.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Well, I'm totally f***ked then.

Oh, you're a INFP too. Lets be useless and impractical together

Seriously though, its totally true. Its not 'society's' fault or anything. Its just that these (E,S,T and J) are the most effective attributes to get yourself through life. I'm not talking about personal preferences but more of what is generally valued in the world - these prefences are simply more practical and helpful. If you were choosing a president/prime minister/whatever based on each of the dichotomies (disregarding the overall type) you would pick those above the others. Of course this does not mean a ESTJ is the most ideal type of human being, but merely that having a couple of the 'valued' preferences is going to be very beneficial in helping you engage with the world.

I guess this is the reason INFPs feel like failures and freaks. We have absolutely no practical qualities and instead have to supress our natural instincts to function effectively. And that's not easy, believe me. I wouldn't call this typism exactly, though. Its just the way the world works.
    The EJs are most inclined of all types, I think, to want to influence and control the world around them. It's not about those traits being innately more effective, just much more influential. They naturally want to set the structures and standards for the rest of us to live up to, almost every institution in society is heavily influenced by EJs. When "success" is defined almost entirely by them, it's hardly a level playing field.