veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by maerzhase View Post
    I am in close relationship with an isfp and I wonder whether it satisfies him if I only talk about things that I did, that we want to do together, that he did or that I did. This sounds a bit boring to me. Do you think this is enough talk for an S-Person? By the way I have my N-talks with other people, so I don't miss out there. Still sometimes I wonder what a satisfying talk would look like to an ISFP? But I guess from your above statement I am just projecting my own idea of an conservation. So he does not actually need other topics.
    Well, you probably should ask him about that, don't just go off what I say. But, anyway the "N" topics can be entertaining to me, even if I'm not actually interested in the topic itself, it can still be fun to hear about and sometimes participate in.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    The cat smells green.

The dude is young, and, oh so fresh. Mos Def.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    The thing is, when the "crash" comes (if it ever does) it will not affect an SP in the same way it might affect a J type. By almost never using rigid plans we very quickly learn how to adapt and work our way around problems in the immediate situation. SPs are adaptable and tactical, we can step past a lot of problems that would have other types scrambling for plan B. Sure every now and then we get blindsided by something huge, but those are usually the kind of things that no amount of planning will save you from.
    wow excellent post

Anyway I know a few Ns IRL and they are good at coming up with random stuff that has nothing to do with the current situation... its quite entertaining!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The cat smells green.
    Reminds me of this.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    The thing is, when the "crash" comes (if it ever does) it will not affect an SP in the same way it might affect a J type. By almost never using rigid plans we very quickly learn how to adapt and work our way around problems in the immediate situation. SPs are adaptable and tactical, we can step past a lot of problems that would have other types scrambling for plan B. Sure every now and then we get blindsided by something huge, but those are usually the kind of things that no amount of planning will save you from.
    Awesome post. OK, I want to add one little point here from my recent research (i.e. self discovery). Part of my most recent MBTI test was a 94 page personality report. Much of it was kind of canned reference information in support of the MBTI material tested on, but it did bring an interesting point which I think is relevant in your car crash example, Quinlan.

The report literally mentioned a car crash as an example of how an INTROVERT and EXTROVERT are affected differently by the same event. Apparently the EXTROVERT's brain immediately shuts down and basically represses the trauma of the crash as it is happening, and therefor is OK with asking for the keys once sutured up; while the INTROVERT's brain remembers each and every second of the crash in frame by frame sequence, and is able to recall these events as such with frightening detail, thus allowing I's to be more effected by traumatic events than their E counterparts.

BUT, you bring an interesting point, Quinlan, in that the SP types very well do gain some amount of crisis mitigation in the hear and now due to their sensor/perceiver dispositions. This ability can in theory then be available to an ISPJ/ISPT as well as a ESTP/ESFP, thus making it a trait mutually exclusive of extroversion/introversion.

So then by far, the ESTPs are the MOST capable of dealing with a car crash as they have the "E" repression of trauma available to them, as well as the SP ability to logically maneuver through an unexpected crisi in the here and now.

Good stuff, Bro!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My take:

N is about pattern recognition, information organization, and system building. It has the ability to deconstruct data and then draw connections to other data based upon the traits (objective or subjective) that are revealed upon deconstruction. So, a banana will, in a way, be linked to every yellow thing I have stored in my memory. It will also be linked to every kind of fruit. Anything, er ... phallic ... Anything sweet-tasting. Etc. Etc.

Mind you this is just a simple example, as these connections are made unconsciously and are much more far-reaching in their scope. So, the concept of a banana is probably connected to many, many other concepts that I would never consciously associate them with. I tend to call my intuition "The Map," because it is essentially a map of every experience I've ever had in my life.

So, at a given time I can be sensing or I can be intuiting (as we all can). Since I have a really strong N, though, I tend to be intuiting much more frequently and with better accuracy than a sensor would. And since my sensing function isn't very strong, I will generally miss more details about my environment than a sensor would, I don't have as direct a connection with the concrete world around me. However, my intuition can take that relatively incomplete data, draw connections between all the gathered information, and form a "whole picture" for the situation, many times accurate ... sometimes not so much.

I could see how a sensor would see an N in the middle of intuiting and think they're just spacing out. There is a certain disconnect from the material world, it's true. I have the ability to run on "auto-pilot" really, REALLY well while intuiting. For example, I can prepare my entire breakfast -- 2 eggs, sunny-side up, toast, bacon, maybe some cereal -- completely on auto-pilot, while also intuiting about whatever subject, and my breakfast will almost always turn out near-perfect regardless.

"Auto-pilot," though, is only useful in certain learned situations, and can actually be very bad in others.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INTP

In my experience, N tends to manifest best when establishing unusual connections between unrelated values.

The cat smells green.

Initially, the statement doesn't make sense as a cat cannot inherently smell "green". When you dig a little deeper into the complexity of what "green" could entail, the N dynamic becomes easier to visualize.

Green:

Envy?
    Broccoli?
    Money?
    St. Patrick's Day?

"Green" transforms from a statement that seeks to identify color into a generalized terminology that could theoretically encapsulate whatever imaginative pulp one could logically tether to "green".

Eventually, observation becomes less about ascertaining absolutes and more about exploring possibility. (Maybe that's the NP v. NJ divide as well...).

Hope this helps.
    As far as the Irish cats are concerned, green inevitably spells for St. Patrick's Day.
    There is an awful throng in Dublin and in Cork, that day.
    Cats are sensitive and shy creatures.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The downside to Ni is that sometimes the pull to intuit is so strong, it's like a veil goes down around you and you can focus only on what you're thinking about. This can be problematic, say, if you're talking to somebody and suddenly intuition grabs your attention. It can be dangerous if you're, say, crossing a street.

I bus to work, and I have headphones to listen to. I purposely drown out the world while I'm on the bus so that I can think about my writing and encourage my intuition to help piece story ideas together. Sometimes when I start intuiting ideas, even the music I'm listening to will completely fade away. I imagine I have a completely wide-eyed look on my face, too. A few minutes later I'll snap out of it and may not even realize it ever happened. Then I'll think, "How did I not hear three entire songs?" and realize that the only memory I have of the last 15 minutes were the story ideas.

That's an extreme example, but it happens. Some of the stupid things I've done while in the throes of Ni, let's see, something recent ... I dumped an entire pot of just-cooked spaghetti noodles into the sink without first grabbing the colander.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I can't say I fully grasped everything you said in your post, Antisocial. I think I have a basic idea of what you're saying, though.

I've always had a pretty good understanding of myself and my own values. My values have changed considerably over the years, which has affected how I relate to the rest of the world. To some degree, in that way my personality has changed. I've never really had an identity crisis since high school, though.
    INFJ
    4w5