User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Default Why isn't Intuition more widely known?

If 1 in 4 people are Intuitives as some people here claim, why isn't intuition discussed more often? Before finding out about MBTI the only reference I really heard about intuition was in regards to "woman's intuition". I think it would come as a huge surprise to a lot of people that "intuition" is such an important part of so many people.

Is sensing so dominant that people are afraid to discuss their intuition?

Maybe I'm making no sense but I'll post anyway.

there are many definitions of the word (but only one is commonly known, see wikipedia, "going from A to C without going through B"). i would not even like to be associated with "intuition" as it is commonly understood. people would ask me to perform tricks, to prove it, like a circus monkey or magician or whatever

"can you find the murderer, if i show you the photo of a dead body?"

MBTI
    INTP

Since learning about MBTI I've suddenly become aware of when the word intuition crops up when I'm reading or even just the idea of intuition. I've actually realised that it is suprisingly common in more academic literature, especially books with a philosophical bent or books about education theories. I've noticed it especially in Science philosophy; empirical methods versus theoretical methods etc.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Actually, when you begin to look for it you find references to it everywhere, from publications like "New Scientist", to popular TV shows, especially the large number of forensic/legal shows on at present. I was watching "Relocation, Relocation" (a show about buying property) just a few days ago and one of the presenters talked about her intuition about the behaviour of some prospective purchasers, which turned out to be 100% accurate.

They don't always use the term "intuition". Synonyms include "hunch", "instinct" or "gut feeling", but they usually mean the same thing: a personal convinction that something is missing, incorrect or misleading in the data being presented as "facts".
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Another idea, perhaps being a Sensor I'm naturally drawn away from topics/things with an intuitive bent, or less likely to acknowledge them.

Interesting.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Another idea, perhaps being a Sensor I'm naturally drawn away from topics/things with an intuitive bent, or less likely to acknowledge them.

Interesting.
    A good question is - how do you really hear about "sensing" in the same sense that you mean intuition. I mean, lots of things "touch" on the overall concepts involved. Both good and bad aspects of each too.

To me, it's a question of how we slice the concepts. Is "Blink" an example of intuition at work? (broad or MBTI definition)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Sensing is the default of course and requires no explanation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

As others have said, it's actually discussed quite a bit, and learning about MBTI has only increased my notice of it. On the other hand, many of the definitions for intuition out there, are just plain wrong.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Is sensing so dominant that people are afraid to discuss their intuition?
    It's an excellent question. I very seldom discuss my intuitions. Why?

1.) People think you're a bit wacky when you share these thoughts, or feel a bit creeped out that you can tell so much about them without really knowing them.

2.) Even if I sense I am right, they are generally not verifiable by data I can readily point to in order to validate my intuitions.

3.) And thus, I can't be 100% certain any given intuition is accurate. Others don't necessarily want to hear about "hunches" or "insights" - they want "facts". (As if the facts are more reliable LOL!)

Personally, I think the percentage of intuitives is even lower than 1 in 4, but that's just a hunch.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Personally, I think the percentage of intuitives is even lower than 1 in 4, but that's just a hunch.
    I have to say it... I have to...

It's a bit higher