User Tag List

View Poll Results: When do you work more effectively?

57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have a plan or goals I can work to (I am Judging)

13 22.81%
  • I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Judging)

6 10.53%
  • I have a plan or goals I can work to (I am Perceiving)

17 29.82%
  • I do what I have to do as I go along (I am Perceiving)

21 36.84%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I work more effectively and productively when...

Senior Member Array

When I have a general idea of what I am doing, leaving it flexible somewhat and every day putting effort into each day by day, towards it, helps exponentially.

there should have been 4 more options, to distinguish between extroverted and introverted people

In my current job I'm the one who makes the plans/goals. So, I chose the other option. In previous jobs, I would have worked more effectively with clear goals but not necessarily plans, as I work better when I'm left to find the best route to the goal...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"

4dw sx/so
    IEx None

When I make a schedule of what needs to be done without filling in the details already or limiting myself by insisting on a set time to do a specific task.

Definitely, as I go along. No contest. First of all, for me accomplishing any task is a more cohesive, thorough process if I can do it... AS I do it. Trying to make a detailed plan before I start a) is mind-numbingly boring, b) never is sufficient (the plan always leaves things out or fails to take them into consideration) and most importantly c) takes focus away from the task at hand and puts it onto following and/or maintaining the plan. Now this doesn't mean that I just jump into things with absolutely no consideration about what I'm doing and what I need to succeed, especially for complex things, but less is almost always better (and let's face it... most stuff isn't that complex).

I have a *horrible* time at work with this. I'm "required" to make a "detailed design plan" before I start anything... no matter how minor. Solution? Just do the job, *then* write the "plan" when I'm done, telling what I did. Sure, I could probably get in trouble for it... but anything else is just a waste of time and asking to miss stuff. Solutions, possible problems, and ways to address things come out naturally as I'm doing things - but NOT when I'm focusing on paperwork. Just the way it is. Wish me luck in getting the boss to believe it, though.

Note: I consider "plans" very different from "goals" - knowing what you're trying to do (goals) is important, but is usually a simple and pretty vague outcome-based thing. Saying how you will go about achieving it before you even get started (plans) is what I usually find counterproductive.

Senior Member Array Nonsensical's Avatar

When I find something in my hands that needs be doing, I do it well. I do things as they pop up, and don't really have a system or organization when dealing with tasks at hand, but either do them when you arise, or do them when I have nothing else going on..which is usually the result of procrastination.

I find that I can do tasks really well..when I eventually get around to doing them, which is the hardest part, it takes off and I can do a really great job, as there's always a way.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?