• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and superficiality...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a lot of talk that Sensors are shallow and Intuitives are profound. I'm here to examine how both cognitive functions can be "shallow."

Sensors are generally perceived as materialistic and overly concerned with physical appearances. But let's look deeper into them. Sensors live in the physical world, which means their mental activity is predominantly directed into the environment. I think they are more likely to display a certain seriousness about life than an Intuitive probably would.

For example, I actually think it's likely to be an SJ who is more concerned about global warming and issues about morality and so forth. They have an extremely realistic perspective on things. Their Sensation directs them into worldly here-and-now concerns, and their Judgment provides them a lifestyle that looks at future consequences. So the SJ is everything but shallow because they take things seriously (sometimes at the expense of becoming uptight).

Sensors take life seriously, and are aware of what is worldly. Even SPs take life seriously. SPs take fun seriously, and isn't fun a part of life? Who knows? Maybe the whole purpose of life is to enjoy it. I see SPs also show concern for the environment, as well -- for example, I believe the hippie cultures are largely an Extraverted Sensation population.

Intuitives, on the other hand can be incredibly shallow. An example is the tendency for ENxPs to make jokes about worldly concerns, which is probably what makes them such great comedians, and often insensitive and uncaring about more worldly matters, such as political correctness. A dominant Ne could also be quite flighty. They tend to come up with a lot of ideas, but bringing them to reality is more of a challenge unless developed. Of all types, I think it's the Ne that is most likely to trivialize. Satire and "shocking" others, after all, does seem to be more Ne than not.

An Ni can also be quite shallow in terms of having their minds in reality (unless developed). An Ni's prophetic mindset leads him/her to look at the possibilities of all situations, which may or may not be true. Just because your think prophetically doesn't mean you're always going to be right. And so, by itself, Ni can be quite shallow in its unwillingness to experience, particularly if they are skeptics rather than optimists. An Ni who is also a negative thinker could be quite cynical, asking, "What's the point?"

So there you have it, I think that a Sensor is deep in some ways and an Intuitive is shallow in some ways.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yes my SJ parents are much less superficial than me in terms of analyzing problems for example - I tend to breeze through them whereas they take a deep look because they're concerned about all the possible ramifications of an action (whereas I, with creative Ni, only look at one possible path).

Many feelers (especially ISF) are much less superficial about relationships than their ENT counterparts, especially towards the relationship that don't concern them directly (meaning, that for an ENT an emotional investment in his girlfriend can be easily done, but he is likely not to care less about the relationship of a friend, whereas the opposite applies to ISFx).

Both ISTx's are far better at analyzing the details of a problem than me, also. I can quickly offer all the steps for the solution, but I'd prefer somebody else to take care of putting it on paper.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would agree that it is a misconception. Shallowness is only our perspective that results from the weak attention paid by the other to our respective forms of reality. "Head in the clouds"(Intuitive), "Stuck in a rut"(Sensor). I tend not to get along well with Sensors (especially SP's), but I know that it's because they confuse me with their reality, and not because they are evil.

FDG: Isn't Ni about multiple perspectives? I don't completely understand.

heart

heart on fire
I tend not to get along well with Sensors (especially SP's), but I know that it's because they confuse me with their reality, and not because they are evil.

I like the way you put that, it is much how I feel.

I think I just irritated and bored an ISFP that I want to be friends with. I said hey you are an ISFP and tried to bring up that we have Fi in common and they said "Huh?" and I reminded them about their ISFP MBTI result in their profile, they said "Oh yeah, that, I had forgotten about that, huh interesting ...do you watch Lifetime, I love Lifetime!"

When I said I don't watch much lifetime but I think it is ok.

...the conversation went downhill. Why is this important? Not sure, just felt like sharing it.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah, I learned early on that everyone is useful for something just not everything. since then most people I have in my life are catagorized by what I can and can't do with them - it helps a lot.

heart

heart on fire
For me, friendships with S types seem to go better when we can share activies and the things of daily life, but not so much when the friendship is based on conversations alone such as on the web or trying to keep a long distance friendship alive via the phone.

Usehername

On a mission
For me, friendships with S types seem to go better when we can share activies and the things of daily life, but not so much when the friendship is based on conversations alone such as on the web or trying to keep a long distance friendship alive via the phone.

oou! not universally true!

I hugely improved a relationship with an ESTP (guess, but certainly SP) by email when she moved. She and I don't flow off each other that well in conversation, but when I could type we really found a pace where we both could gel well.
She's back home after a year--better relationship because of sharing online!
We got really deep in convo, too.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
There is a lot of talk that Sensors are shallow and Intuitives are profound. I'm here to examine how both cognitive functions can be "shallow."

Sensors are generally perceived as materialistic and overly concerned with physical appearances. But let's look deeper into them. Sensors live in the physical world, which means their mental activity is predominantly directed into the environment. I think they are more likely to display a certain seriousness about life than an Intuitive probably would.

For example, I actually think it's likely to be an SJ who is more concerned about global warming and issues about morality and so forth. They have an extremely realistic perspective on things. Their Sensation directs them into worldly here-and-now concerns, and their Judgment provides them a lifestyle that looks at future consequences. So the SJ is everything but shallow because they take things seriously (sometimes at the expense of becoming uptight).

Sensors take life seriously, and are aware of what is worldly. Even SPs take life seriously. SPs take fun seriously, and isn't fun a part of life? Who knows? Maybe the whole purpose of life is to enjoy it. I see SPs also show concern for the environment, as well -- for example, I believe the hippie cultures are largely an Extraverted Sensation population.

Intuitives, on the other hand can be incredibly shallow. An example is the tendency for ENxPs to make jokes about worldly concerns, which is probably what makes them such great comedians, and often insensitive and uncaring about more worldly matters, such as political correctness. A dominant Ne could also be quite flighty. They tend to come up with a lot of ideas, but bringing them to reality is more of a challenge unless developed. Of all types, I think it's the Ne that is most likely to trivialize. Satire and "shocking" others, after all, does seem to be more Ne than not.

An Ni can also be quite shallow in terms of having their minds in reality (unless developed). An Ni's prophetic mindset leads him/her to look at the possibilities of all situations, which may or may not be true. Just because your think prophetically doesn't mean you're always going to be right. And so, by itself, Ni can be quite shallow in its unwillingness to experience, particularly if they are skeptics rather than optimists. An Ni who is also a negative thinker could be quite cynical, asking, "What's the point?"

So there you have it, I think that a Sensor is deep in some ways and an Intuitive is shallow in some ways.
Depth is but responsibility.
You know. Bread on the table.

The SJs were slow to perceive the global warming is a here-and-now concern.
Only presently they are beginning to get it.

The SJs are the latest to see the need for any change.

The SPs are keener in intellect.
Curious, adaptable.

The Swiss are the SJs.. probably to a greater extent than people of any other nation.
Thrifty, tidy, coy, conservative.. they combine all the SJ virtues.

The Austrians are of the other extreme.
The Vienna taxi cabs have always the motor running when they are waiting for the next mac.

The Swiss stop the motor even in the red traffic lights.
In Austria the house painters are out of a job. Nothing is being repaired. Everything is about to fall apart.

The Swiss spared capital.
Generation after generation they accumulated wealth.

My father did a lot of business with the Swiss. He told me their primary concern is about the welfare of their sons and daughters.
The pride of every Swiss is to leave more capital to the next generation compared to what the previous generation had provided.

My father was an INTJ.
He could not get it. Why should anyone care about their offspring?
He told me the Swiss top class executives travel in the second class.
An abomination.
They refuse to live in the most expensive hotels. They are careful with the tip.
The old man shook his head while he ordered another Armagnac.
He loved to have the waiters running.
Meanwhile he told me stories about his ENTJ grandfather. The Patriarch.
A chap of a small wealth he was.

The Patriarch had two cooks. The two cooks prepared different kind of meals.

The one cook prepared meals for the Patriarch only.

The speciality of the other cook was porridge.
After the oatmeal each member of the family had to lick the plate clean.
Before the Patriarch left the dining room he checked that every plate was immaculately clean.

I on the other hand was born lucky. I did not have to support such a large family. I have only one offspring and her mother takes care of her.

Now you say I forgot to mention my wildcat.
I never had to worry about the kit.
He knew how to lick the plate clean.
I had to provide for him?
A stupid accusation.
You do not provide for a wildcat.