User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I didn't read through all the replies, so apologies ahead of time if I repeat anything.

I think regardless of type, it's good to find balance.

I think finding out more about our personality is great. I also think that focusing on strengths is better, as well as learning about our weaknesses so it makes us well-rounded as individuals.

Enjoy life no matter what, right?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

MBTI is close to completely worthless and is culpable for the problems people have determining their type. It is simplistic and misses the point. (Is concerned not with the unconscious dispositions of the persons but the crude behaviors they manifest. ) This is problematic because such behaviors are not indicative of the true nature of our mind.

Jungian typology however, is indeed of great service to philosophy of psychology.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    MBTI is close to completely worthless and is culpable for the problems people have determining their type. It is simplistic and misses the point. (Is concerned not with the unconscious dispositions of the persons but the crude behaviors they manifest. )

Jungian typology however, is indeed of great service to philosophy of psychology.
    Agreed! =) Great point.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Edit: Seriously, though, I do think it helps some people a lot. But those same people are at risk for forgetting that it's a simplification and viewing it as some deeper truth.
    Agreed. My own approach is actually to use type as a roadmap for exploring the psyche, rather than as an absolute truth. The contents of the psyche are where the real treasure lies, and type is but one of many possible tools for getting there. However, IMHO, when used properly it is one of the more powerful of those tools.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

I haven't read this entire thread yet but I have to comment. I have been here since Nov. 2007 and still don't know my type yet. The only thing that is definite is that I'm a Thinking-Sensor. I get so frusterated because when I use a book like Do What You Are (which is what I started with), which is based on the dictomies, I end up with one thing, but when I go by the cognitive processes, I end up with another. Bottom line for me is that I am happiest when I act SJ, but my independance, and suspicion of authority, etc. points more to SP. ANyhow, I keep going back and forth...I go in phases where I feel that I HAVE to know... Lately I've been wondering if all my confusion is because I'm Te, Si, Ne, with really well-developed Ne....?? This is what my hubby insists I am... and I see it also. Perhaps you have developed your secondary or tertiary and it's messing up the test results? Have you asked anyone close to you to do a test on you? Might be insightful - some of us are not always accurate in describing ourselves.

When I'm not here I co-moderate a small private PERSONAL COLOR THEORY board called the Color Connection. This is a place for personal color analysis - we help each other find their best colors, styles etc. PM me for a link if you are interested (you can't find it with a search engine). On the color board, we have talked about MBTI and we have all types on there - and we are ALL obsessed with color analysis! Several of us are T-types - I guess we like to use a 'system' to analyze these things.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I haven't read this entire thread yet but I have to comment. I have been here since Nov. 2007 and still don't know my type yet. The only thing that is definite is that I'm a Thinking-Sensor. I get so frusterated because when I use a book like Do What You Are (which is what I started with), which is based on the dictomies, I end up with one thing, but when I go by the cognitive processes, I end up with another. Bottom line for me is that I am happiest when I act SJ, but my independance, and suspicion of authority, etc. points more to SP. ANyhow, I keep going back and forth...I go in phases where I feel that I HAVE to know... Lately I've been wondering if all my confusion is because I'm Te, Si, Ne, with really well-developed Ne....?? This is what my hubby insists I am... and I see it also. Perhaps you have developed your secondary or tertiary and it's messing up the test results? Have you asked anyone close to you to do a test on you? Might be insightful - some of us are not always accurate in describing ourselves.
    I hope you don't mind me commenting here, but I like to help people clarify their MBTI type - I know how frustrating it is when you have narrowed down some of the options, but cannot decide between several options!

First of all, while I consider type functions/cognitive processes to be invaluable when you know what your type is, they are actually not very helpful for helping to decide your type in the first place. This is because, as you have guessed, our life experiences may cause us to attain different levels of development in the 8 processes, regardless of our innate type.

For example, my Ti function gets used a lot because of my training and work as a scientist. If I were to approach my type via the functions, I'd probably get INTP instead of INFJ.

At least you are certain of 2 letters (ST) which narrows the field considerably. Temperament is usually the next place to look - you are torn between SJ and SP, but you say that you are "happiest when I act SJ". I am definitely happiest when I act NF, as I am doing right now! Just because you value independence etc. does not make you an SP type - no-one says that SJ guardian types are pushovers! If you had said you valued "freedom of action", "improvisation" or even just "having fun" that would be a much stronger indicator of you being an SP-type.

To help decide between E and I, it can be useful to remember what you were like as a child (typically our dominant function is the first to appear, maybe between the ages of 4 to 10). Were you, like me, quiet, introspective and dreamy (Introvert with Intuition)? Or were you more outgoing and talkative? If Te is your dominant, it often manifests in young children as early development of language skills, especially verbal but also written. Other possibilities include a desire to bring clarity to uncertain or confusing situations, a certain level of competiveness, and possibly an early development of leadership traits.

The type descriptions for ESTJs (if that is your type) are not written in as much depth as for some other types, and are not always as appealing as the descriptions of more "popular" types. This merely reflects the bias of the writers (usually N's) and does not reflect the true complexity of a developed ESTJ.

Just some of my random thoughts - I hope you find them interesting!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

you dont find your type by thinking of what you are, you interact with the world and by doing this you learn who you are (ie which type you are/could be)