User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I believe jeffster would be the best medicine for BA. And I'm not even kidding, I'm deadly serious.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Have you read the INFJ profile? You do indeed give off an INFJ vibe, my best friend is one. You have that certain writing style that they seem to have.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

garbage

I still end up questioning my type, but then I end up telling myself that I'm an idiot for doing so. I've resigned to defining myself as "An ENTJ first and an ENTP second. Also, there's a lot of ENFP in there." That way people don't think I'm a total jerk to everybody

I thoroughly enjoyed SolitaryWalker's discussion

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    You're welcome!

BTW, I've read several of your other posts/threads and they also have an INFJ vibe to them. I hesitiate to recommend yet more reading material for your poor overloaded brain at present, but the best published authority on the Inferior Function is Naomi Quenk:

Amazon.com: Was That Really Me?: How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality: Naomi L. Quenk: Books

Her description of inferior Se in INFJs and INTJs was so accurate for me that it was the final piece of the puzzle in determing my own type for sure.

Highly recommended, but please take a break first!!

Thanks! Someone else recommended this to me recently, and despite searching the inventory at all Borders and Barnes and Noble's within ~100 miles, I cannot find it! I think I'm just going to have to order it from Amazon. And you know it's going to be impossible for me to not order it TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    The more time you spend focused on others, the less time you have to be self-obsessed.
    Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I have been thinking a lot about focusing more on others as a remedy for my ails. Thanks for the affirmation.

Do not seek an MBTI box in which to confine yourself. In times of stress, it is tempting to seek its structure and definition for security, but it is a false security which limits growth.

Define who you are after this difficult time, rather than borrowing someone else's definition.

Nobody says, "When I grow up, I want to be a four letter acronym!"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

ISFP.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    This won't be news to many of you...I am obsessed with figuring out my type. And the word 'obsessed' isn't to be taken lightly.

I spend every free moment (truly) trying to figure out my type. I drove 30 miles yesterday to purchase 'Gifts Differing' and 'Personality Type: An Owner's Manual'. I do as little work as possible at my jobs, instead endlessly browsing the same sites I've explored before, but each time following some new idea (that surely, this time, will unlock the answer!). This weekend, like the last and the one before it, have been spent laying in bed reading 'Understanding Yourself and Others' or enneagram books, hardly getting up but for the necessities.

I just keep going in circles and circles.

And this isn't the only subject with which I do this. I am also obsessed with the 'Color Me Beautiful' color-coordinated dressing system. My mom will no longer go shopping with me because I hold every piece of clothing to my hair or skin to see if it is congruent. I would spend the daylight hours of my weekend time not with my husband but outside trying to capture my skin's 'undertone' in the natural light so that I could determine whether I am a 'warm' or 'cool'. (It's amazing that I want so desperately to match colors perfectly, yet I while doing so, my room continues to look like this.)

The problem is, with both of these obsessions, I am apparently ill-equipped at utilizing the systems. One day I will determine with absolute certainly that I am such and such type or that I am a 'warm'. The next day, I 'see' with absolute clarity that I am wrong! I will purchase 'warm-colored clothing' then take the items back because I realize I was wrong. Every cycle includes a 'Eureka' moment followed by disillusion followed by a 'Eureka' moment and on and on.

For whatever reason, I cannot recognize these things on my own. I don't know what's wrong with me. And the more I realize I cannot recognize them, the more I want to re-read the rules of the system and try again! I just know I can do it!

The strange thing is, even in my posting of this, I have faith that the 'answer' is in my obsessions themselves! That the pairing of my tertiary and inferior are responsible for this unhealthy loop.

I'm at the point where I feel the only thing that will help me is to quit these obsessions cold-turkey, but I fear that unless I understand the functions at work, I will do the same thing with something else (previously I was obsessed with finding the 'perfect' career, which ultimately brought me to MBTI which which has obviously gotten me nowhere).

I'm not sure what I even expect anyone to say...I'm just lost at the moment.
    A good post.
    You can only find what you have lost.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I feel the same way beyond; it's because there's too much contradictory information out there. I spent a long time (two years of constant thinking/discussion) developing my own understanding of the system such that it's simple, contains no logical inconsistencies, and is somewhat representative of reality.

It was because I, too was obsessed with figuring out my type, and thinking of MBTI in the way it was taught to me (four dichotomies) couldn't capture any of the nuance I wanted to capture in describing my personality. I was searching so hard for an answer because for some reason I thought it would offer some sort of deep insight into who I am.

But honestly, now that I'm satisfied with my understanding of the system (which can only be considered one interpretation of MBTI, since there are so many out there), it doesn't really help me much that I know my type. Sure, I'm technically INFJ. But that's still not enough -- I always have to use extra qualifiers to even capture what I want to capture. Look at my type, I call myself NiTi...not even necessarily because I use Ti more than Fe. But because I use Ti more than other INFJs I know...or even maybe because I use Ti more than the descriptions give room for... or maybe because I want people to know that I'm good at logic and I don't want them dismissing me as some emotional or silly F.

But for whatever reason, I've kind of gotten to the end of the road in terms of understanding...and it's not like I finally get something huge about myself! I just get that MBTI is a limited system -- a dimensionality reduction of personality. And all that a dimensionality reduction does is simplify data by throwing some of it out.

But when asking deeper questions about psychological motivations, genetic predispositions, relationship dynamics, or whatever, it makes no sense to do the dimensionality reduction to the data FIRST (because then you're just losing information meaninglessly). Personality is a point in bajillion-dimensional space, other people are other points, and relationships are paths through that incomprehensible space. We may as well accept how complicated it all is and do as little reduction of data as possible (which is inevitable).

But yeah, using MBTI to talk about relationships or personalities or anything is like this: you're taking 2.4 to the 4.4th power. 2.4 is kinda like 2, right? And 4.4 is kinda like 4, right? So the answer is kinda like 16 (2^4). So yeah. The answer is about 15. But the real answer is 47. Okay so maybe not so severe...but still, you get the point.

MBTI is merely a reduced-down set of adjectives. They're useful to get a vague general sense of people. But there's really nothing deeper there. Annoying but true. (Annoying because it causes lots of cognitive dissonance to know you've spent so much time on such a worthless problem, to put it bluntly).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Evan, whilst I understand your position and even share something of the same dilemma, being an INFJ who has developed a powerful Ti function (I am a scientist and have to use Ti frequently in my work) I have to say that my experience of MBTI is entirely different from yourself.

Maybe it's because I'm more interested in the Jungian basis behind the theory than the later simplifications, but I find that the more I explore Type, the more I discover. Even though I use multiple alternate models, including NLP and the Enneagram, I continually return to Jungian Type as a powerful, versatile and even practical tool for understanding both myself and other people.

I think, perhaps, that we agree that it is easy to be overwhelmed or confused by the wealth of misleading information on the subject. If you are still interested in exploring Jungian type to a deeper level, it is best to suspend any preconceptions, grab onto an idea that seems appealing opr compelling to you and then see where it takes you. Since you have Ni-dominant, this approach should feel natural to you and may take you in some surprising directions!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Evan, whilst I understand your position and even share something of the same dilemma, being an INFJ who has developed a powerful Ti function (I am a scientist and have to use Ti frequently in my work) I have to say that my experience of MBTI is entirely different from yourself.

Maybe it's because I'm more interested in the Jungian basis behind the theory than the later simplifications, but I find that the more I explore Type, the more I discover. Even though I use multiple alternate models, including NLP and the Enneagram, I continually return to Jungian Type as a powerful, versatile and even practical tool for understanding both myself and other people.

I think, perhaps, that we agree that it is easy to be overwhelmed or confused by the wealth of misleading information on the subject. If you are still interested in exploring Jungian type to a deeper level, it is best to suspend any preconceptions, grab onto an idea that seems appealing opr compelling to you and then see where it takes you. Since you have Ni-dominant, this approach should feel natural to you and may take you in some surprising directions!
    I'm not saying MBTI is completely worthless, just mostly

Edit: Seriously, though, I do think it helps some people a lot. But those same people are at risk for forgetting that it's a simplification and viewing it as some deeper truth.