User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 57

  1. #31
    beyondaurora
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    You look like a winter.

    This picture seems to show it the most. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...pictureid=2275

    The dark rim around your blue eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yeah, I think so, too.
    Yeah, unfortunately, I have to disagree with you ladies. Because of flash on those pictures, I appear to have very blue eyes, pale skin and darker hair. But in reality, my eyes are more teal with a cloudy yellow aura in the center. Additionally, I have a yellow cast to my skin (it's a yellow-olive, not golden) that makes the winter colors majorly clash with me. I'm leaning towards a Spring at this moment (yes, springs can have dark hair). I was previously convinced I was a Summer, but those colors really dull my coloring (make me look grayish).

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    ^ Actually the Color Me system was very anxiety relieving for me at an earlier age. I feel like I have no sense of how to dress or things like that and once I decided on being a winter I could just buy basic wardrobe items in one color area and quit worrying about such petty things. People around me responded positively too. I can pretty much just buy black and navy clothes and know I'll look the best I can in them and forget about it, which is what I wanted.

    So I really think it's a good way to alievate anxiety about dressing, especially for women.
    I wore all black almost every day for the past 10 years. I had NO idea how colors worked, and I had no sense of fashion. My mom and sister thought I was a lost cause. That's why I got into this system. I have improved, obviously...I wear pink now!

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I am afraid I agree with Kangirl...

    perhaps some professional is called for at this time...obsessions, no matter what they involve are about something underlying..its not about the actual thing, its symbolic of something else...

    You likely will find out what it is if you are willing to explore in depth the stuff you don't see ..there is also a possibility that meds may , ( i said MAY, not WILL) be called for...

  3. #33
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, I have to disagree with you ladies. Because of flash on those pictures, I appear to have very blue eyes, pale skin and darker hair. But in reality, my eyes are more teal with a cloudy yellow aura in the center. Additionally, I have a yellow cast to my skin (it's a yellow-olive, not golden) that makes the winter colors majorly clash with me. I'm leaning towards a Spring at this moment (yes, springs can have dark hair). I was previously convinced I was a Summer, but those colors really dull my coloring (make me look grayish).



    I wore all black almost every day for the past 10 years. I had NO idea how colors worked, and I had no sense of fashion. My mom and sister thought I was a lost cause. That's why I got into this system. I have improved, obviously...I wear pink now!
    Spring seems like a harder season to work with. The need for clear and bright colors not always so easy to find.

    My mother always made me wear pastels and cream colors when I was a teen, I looked sick all the time!

    Honestly you seem very Fi in these posts, not that anyone should really listen to me.

  4. #34
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    I know nothing about the Color Me thing, but just looked at the website and decided I'm a Spring. Bright colors -- greens, teals, turquoises, even pinks -- look best on me. I can't wear white, black isn't awful but also does nothing for me and just makes me look more ghostly. Anything that's orange or mustard-toned looks horrible on me, and extreme pastels aren't great either because I look washed out. Sometimes I can pull off certain shades of red, but red isn't the ideal color on me either.

    Regarding mbti.... I think a lot of people can become 'obsessed' with it, especially if they don't feel they're a great fit with any of the 16 types. And the obsession leads to research, and there's so much conflicting info and conflicting viewpoints even amongst 'experts' that you end up running in circles.

    At some point I imagine you'll just wear yourself out and will stop caring. And it's when you stop caring that things might start to make more sense, or you'll just be content to pick one and stick with it, and won't particularly care if it's your 'True Type' or not (or won't care to the same degree you do in the present moment).

    I often think mbti is at its most beneficial when you know the least about it. At its most basic, it's simply stating everyone has their own preferences, everyone values different things and approaches/perceives life in different ways, and people have different priorities . That's pretty much it. When you start going beyond that basic recognition, into nitty gritty details, it can quickly start becoming much less helpful/useful, and that's where all of the silly stereotyping begins. And with that, applying all kinds of behaviors to mbti or cognitive functions that shouldn't be applied to it or correlated to it at all.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  5. #35
    beyondaurora
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pecan111 View Post
    I am afraid I agree with Kangirl...

    perhaps some professional is called for at this time...obsessions, no matter what they involve are about something underlying..its not about the actual thing, its symbolic of something else...

    You likely will find out what it is if you are willing to explore in depth the stuff you don't see ..there is also a possibility that meds may , ( i said MAY, not WILL) be called for...

    Thanks for your concern. I'm well aware of the counseling option.

  6. #36
    beyondaurora
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Best guess: INFJ. This is because your "symptoms" sound horribly familiar to me!

    It is what happens when our Inferior Se function gets totally and utterly stuck on external details, which it then feeds to tertiary Ti for analysis, which feeds it's evaluation back to Se, which then finds more details which contradict this evaluation, so it sends them to Ti for more analysis....and so on ad infinitum. I call it "analysis paralysis".

    I pretty certain this is what is happening to you: the obsessive focus on "colour coordination" is a very strong pointer towards Se. Also, it reflects the fact that you want to look good for others, which shows that Fe is also involved here - another hint that you may be an INFJ. Ni is being largely shut-out here; it pops up whenever you have a "Eureka" moment, but is then being drowned out by the excessive Se-Ti noise. However, your Ni has gotten one important idea through to you: that the answer lies with your tertiary and inferior pairing.

    You can at least console yourself with the fact that by the time this loop has run its course, you will have absorbed so much information on these topics that you will effectively have become an expert!

    In the meantime, when you can (these things cannot be forced), take some downtime to help you recover your normal equilibrium. You may need to allow Se to express itself on it's own terms - possibilities include exercising, getting out into nature, cooking and enjoying a delicious meal, going to the movies. You will know which type of activity has worked for you in the past.

    Good Luck!
    Apollanaut - thank you VERY much for your insightful response.

    Incidentally, forum members who have met me in person are pretty set on me being INFJ.

  7. #37
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Edit: That's not fair. I'll give you a partial response.

    You say keep saying that when there's an ambiguity, we just have dug deep enough. But using Occam's Razor, tell me: what's more likely, that people have some essence that no one has ever seen and there is no evidence for, which is contradicted by simple observations that people exhibit inconsistent and varying behavior, or that there simply IS no such essence, only a collection of variable stimuli/responses (traits)?

    To be clear, I'm not saying there is NO PATTERN to these responses. What I'm saying is that typology is not it. The pattern of responses is much much more complicated and more elusive that 8 cognitive processes, and, that these cognitive processes have no real correlates in reality because they are abstractions.
    In summary, your argument is as follows.

    1)People do have static essences.

    2)However, we do not clearly know what such an essence as people often display contradictory behaviors. It is therefore difficult for us to clearly identified the patterns in which our mind functions.

    3)Typology does not depict one of such patterns because it is too simple.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    I would agree that typology does not explain many important things about the human mind. It only explains some things. One of such things is the fact that some of our cognitive dispositions are solidified.

    Despite the fact that the human mind is very complicated and it is difficult for us to discern specifically how it works, we seem to know enough about it to establish that some of our dispositions are solidified and we can know some of such dispositions.

    So, I do not disagree with most of what you said, as you simply stated that typology does not describe a lot of important things about the human mind. However, you have not argued that the claims typology makes with regard to how human mind works are false.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    [that these cognitive processes have no real correlates in reality because they are abstractions.
    Abstractions depict in some vague sense how things of reality work. That is what typology accomplishes. The chief criticism applicable to this system is that it simply is incomplete, yet no coherent and a thorough argument has yet been made to prove that the claims it makes are false.


    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    But using Occam's Razor, tell me: what's more likely, that people have some essence that no one has ever seen and there is no evidence for,.
    This essence can be seen and has been seen through careful investigation of the biography of individuals. This is the task that has been performed by Carl Jung in the Psychological Types.

    Occam's razor is irrelevant to this discourse. It is an epistemic technique used to replace a complicated theory for a simpler one under the circumstance of the more complicated theory lacking explanatory power that the simpler theory does not have. At this point we have not found a theory that explains everything Jungian typology does, yet does so in a simpler manner.Hence, by virtue of Occam's Razor, it cannot be abrogated.


    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    which is contradicted by simple observations that people exhibit inconsistent and varying behavior.
    The fact that people behave in an inconsistent manner does not contradict one of the claims of typology. The system maintains that people have many types (a temperament is an aggreggate of types, so in your case there is an Ne type as a dominant and Ti as auxiliary for example). There will be some contradictory behaviors noticed as both types are prominent. Some circumstances of your life will even force you to rely on the less prominent of types more than on those that you're in natural affinity with. (Such as Fe and Si)

    In order to show that typology is false, a careful study of the person's biography must evince that he consistently engages in all functions to an equal degree or frequently how much he engages in each radically changes. Simple observations of behavior do not suffice to prove this.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  8. #38
    Senior Mugwump Apollanaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Apollanaut - thank you VERY much for your insightful response.

    Incidentally, forum members who have met me in person are pretty set on me being INFJ.

    You're welcome!

    BTW, I've read several of your other posts/threads and they also have an INFJ vibe to them. I hesitiate to recommend yet more reading material for your poor overloaded brain at present, but the best published authority on the Inferior Function is Naomi Quenk:

    Amazon.com: Was That Really Me?: How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality: Naomi L. Quenk: Books

    Her description of inferior Se in INFJs and INTJs was so accurate for me that it was the final piece of the puzzle in determing my own type for sure.

    Highly recommended, but please take a break first!!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

    "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

    And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

    - Kate Bush

  9. #39
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Man, I wish you lived closer to me. I would totally take you to an amusement park or a fair or the beach or somewhere and just have fun and forget about all this pyschoanalysis stuff. Life isn't meant to be nitpicked, it's meant to be lived!

    Since I can't afford to fly to Cali right now, Dr. Jeffster's expert advice is to try your hardest to focus on other people for now. If you can't get MB types outta your head, then heck, use those. But focus on the types of other people, not your own. But hopefully go beyond just the type stuff. Focus on trying to understand other people's motivations and desires, and what makes them tick. And maybe how you can help them. Not in a "oh I have to do this because this a relative and I'm obligated" way, but genuinely want to help somebody with whatever they need. The more time you spend focused on others, the less time you have to be self-obsessed.

    I know it's easy for me to sit here and tell you things to do, doing stuff is a lot tougher. Believe me I know. The first few years after my divorce were some of the hardest of my life. There were a lot of really painful days where I felt like the world sucked and I was a complete failure. But I didn't give in to those feelings for long, I kept trying, and kept fighting, and kept using the natural talents I possess to do the best I could. And these days I am a much happier person. Doesn't mean life is perfect. I don't think this life ever will be, but we can sure have fun trying to make it as good as possible.

    For what it's worth, I'm thinking and praying about you. Hang in there, there's people who love you.

    Plus, you're hot.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  10. #40
    Senior Mugwump Apollanaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Great advice from Jeffster, who knows a thing or two about Se!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

    "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

    And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

    - Kate Bush

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] mbti book recommendation for my nephew
    By rocco in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2017, 08:27 PM
  2. Big Five and MBTI: My Personality 100-item something
    By Bush Did 9/11 in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-23-2017, 12:22 PM
  3. Replies: 125
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
  4. Your theory on MBTI obsession
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO