User Tag List

12 Last

Default "mixed" or in-between types

Hi Guys,

1)A question-many people will test in-between two types, however, if you follow the dynamic model then certain in-the-middle types should not be allowed as you are swapping a primary pref for a inferior pref-like ESTP/ENTP. Only a letter apart but very different when drawn the dynamic way.

Are there certain "in-between" types that are actually common or allowed and certain that are not?

2) Say an ENFP is Ne, Fi, Te, Si. Can they or any other type move towards being more in the middle of a function-like Between Ne or Ni? My mind says this seems more different than swapping a primary for a secondary pref, but your thoughts?

totally depends on the model. given the controversies, i would rather rely on observation

but for starters, lets just assume what carl jung assumed: that functions are all available, but are subject to conscious "differentiation" and that this differentiation is a process in lifetime.

so if you start life with Fi you may or may not decide to develop a helping function at some day. probably early in life, but who knows.
    then you may choose between Ne and Se. now you are a type

if you start with Ni you may choose between Fe and Te...

eventually you can regress ... try a different direction. that should not be optimal. but who is optimal?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Hi Guys,

1)A question-many people will test in-between two types, however, if you follow the dynamic model then certain in-the-middle types should not be allowed as you are swapping a primary pref for a inferior pref-like ESTP/ENTP. Only a letter apart but very different when drawn the dynamic way.

Are there certain "in-between" types that are actually common or allowed and certain that are not?

2) Say an ENFP is Ne, Fi, Te, Si. Can they or any other type move towards being more in the middle of a function-like Between Ne or Ni? My mind says this seems more different than swapping a primary for a secondary pref, but your thoughts?
    Yeah I've always said that ENTPs and INFJs are very very similar for this reason. If you turn an ENTPs intuition inward, they become INFJ.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

what about an enfp who's highest used functions is apparently NE FI FE NI and SE
    it confuses me terribly.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    what about an enfp who's highest used functions is apparently NE FI FE NI and SE
    it confuses me terribly.
    The way I resolve that confusion is to stop thinking of Fe and Fi as different functions (same with Ne/Ni, etc.)

There are 4 functions (Thinking, Feeling, Sensing, Intuition), and each has a value on a continuous scale of introversion/extroversion. It can account for any function order.

There are trends, though...like introversion of T correlates with extroversion of F, etc. etc. But it doesn't have to be exact complementary values...it's just a correlation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

so...basically it just means i'm an enfp driven by intuition and feeling more than anything.
    and it doesn't matter that these Ne, Fi, Te, Si. are not the most used?
    interesting.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

so...basically it just means i'm an enfp driven by intuition and feeling more than anything.
    and it doesn't matter that these Ne, Fi, Te, Si. are not the most used?
    interesting.
    I think the dominant and auxiliary functions can have the I/E inverse be close to as pronounced, overshadowing the tertiary and inferior.

My top 4 are Ti, Ne, Te, Ni I think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

okay...interesting, thanks!
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Hi Guys,

For starters the MBTI model is set up to reflect preferences so there is no "in-between". A preference is a preference. The percentages or strengths of the test are irrelevant, it just measures how you answered those particular questions, not how much of an N you are. It's either or: N or S.

We use all of the functions to some extent so someone could easily have good use of both Se and Ne, one will just be their default or preference.

Many people seem to have good use of the opposite 'face' of their primary functions so someone who's dominant function is Ne can probably use Ni, but again one will be preferred.

Preference != Use

it confuses me terribly.
    You are talking about the cognitive function order and as far as I know there isn't a standardized, accepted, valid test for cognitive functions the same way as there is for MBTI. So the results of those tests are experimental.

As I said above, lots of people test high with both the internal and external versions of their primary functions so it's not surprising that your Ne and Ni and Fi and Fe are all high. It just confirms that you are definitely an NF.