• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

FPs, how changeable are your values?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
In my ongoing quest to figure out the functions, I make this thread.

Supposedly Fi is responsible for a value system, and judging situations according to those values to determine how you feel.

First off, do you agree with this definition? Second, assuming that definition is accurate enough, how hard is it to change your values? How often does it happen, and in what kind of situations?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The function is explained correctly.

As for changing my values if I experience a flaw in one of them then I will make changes accordingly. Say that I'm against animal cruelty (which I am). If animals started running rabid and killing everyone, then I would no longer be against being cruel to said animals killing everyone. Otherwise my values are long standing and don't budge, and I stick to my guns at all times.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm really trying to come up with an answer to your questions, but God help me, your avatar is boring into my soul.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
The function is explained correctly.

As for changing my values if I experience a flaw in one of them then I will make changes accordingly. Say that I'm against animal cruelty (which I am). If animals started running rabid and killing everyone, then I would no longer be against being cruel to said animals killing everyone. Otherwise my values are long standing and don't budge, and I stick to my guns at all times.

So basically, if some of your values end up conflicting, then you choose one you prioritize more, and change the other?

I'm really trying to come up with an answer to your questions, but God help me, your avatar is boring into my soul.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's probably the point of it lol.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So basically, if some of your values end up conflicting, then you choose one you prioritize more, and change the other?

What was the second value in question in the example I provided? The only one that I said in there was the animal cruelty one.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
What was the second value in question in the example I provided? The only one that I said in there was the animal cruelty one.

Presumably, that people dying is bad.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Presumably, that people dying is bad.

Yes you could put it that way most definitely, I just didn't mean it that way in the example. You're a clever one, that would have went through my mind as well if I saw this. ;) But it was more along the lines of the animals turned evil suddenly, so why should I be against being cruel to something evil?

You make adjustments like that accordingly.

wolfy

awsm
I really don't know. I'd have to work out what my values are first.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes you could put it that way most definitely, I just didn't mean it that way in the example. You're a clever one, that would have went through my mind as well if I saw this. ;) But it was more along the lines of the animals turned evil suddenly, so why should I be against being cruel to something evil?

You make adjustments like that accordingly.

And they're evil because they're killing people, right? Because killing people is evil.

So 'killing is bad' rates higher than 'animal cruelty is bad', or maybe a more generic 'cruelty is bad'. In the case of conflicts between values, killing is bad would win as its higher, so animal cruelty gets changed to compensate (or not, and then you get cognitive dissonance).

I really don't know. I'd have to work out what my values are first.

Yeah, that's one thing I noticed. Fi judges according to its values, but its not consciously aware of the criteria it uses. That can only be inferred in retrospect by analyzing the judgments it gives.

Sounds similiar actually to the way my Ti understands the essence of something, and judges based on that. It isn't easily expressed the way Te logic is.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And they're evil because they're killing people, right? Because killing people is evil.

So 'killing is bad' rates higher than 'animal cruelty is bad', or maybe a more generic 'cruelty is bad'. In the case of conflicts between values, killing is bad would win as its higher, so animal cruelty gets changed to compensate (or not, and then you get cognitive dissonance).

Yes exactly. It's the individual's decision as to which he weighs to be higher. This is why you can't pinpoint an Fi user's values down or how they will act on your typical internet profile.

Yeah, that's one thing I noticed. Fi judges according to its values, but its not consciously aware of the criteria it uses. That can only be inferred in retrospect by analyzing the judgments it gives.

Sounds similiar actually to the way my Ti understands the essence of something, and judges based on that. It isn't easily expressed the way Te logic is.

It is very similar to Ti in how it changes I imagine. If you are proven that your logic is flawed, then you change your logic correct? It's a similar process.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well...individual rights to freedom is a very significant one for me but if someone were to abuse those rights by infringing on someone else's than my strong need for fair and equal treatment would override that and i'd become proactive to protect those rights of that person....so...yes. i guess they get shuffled around based on priority.

is that even a relevant answer? i have no idea.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes exactly. It's the individual's decision as to which he weighs to be higher. This is why you can't pinpoint an Fi user's values down or how they will act on your typical internet profile.

It is very similar to Ti in how it changes I imagine. If you are proven that your logic is flawed, then you change your logic correct? It's a similar process.

Hmm... But somehow I'm not satisfied. I'm not sure what exactly it is I'm looking for, but this isn't it. :p

I guess the next step is, how do your values get developed in the first place? I have a feeling no one really knows this... but I can try I suppose.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Fi feels very contextual. I think that is where some people confuse it. You'll notice when most Fi types get triggered they attack concepts, and try to clarify the value judgment. The aim is resolution, to minimise damage. Remember Ps tend to be big picture also, so the damage considered can often be a long way from the source. And they are sometimes quite utilitarian, which isn't always a good thing if you are perceived to be the source of a significant amount of damage.

It tends to get likened a bit to Si and the thinking that we learn this is wrong, then react when we see it. I know at least for NFPs that is way too linear. It is far more of a weighting the scales in the moment, and seeing damaging consequences.

I suppose the values at the end of all that are pretty constant though, and seem to relate to very core things. So what is seen to cause damage, etc. may be redefined, but the dislike of personal damage would be the value and be constant.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have two main values: 'harm none' and 'respect each others freedom'. But those are applied like a set of scales almost, as reality isn't black or white. If I used them in a rigid way, I wouldn't set foot outside anymore, for I might crush an ant, and dog leashes would make me furious. So its a delicate balance, of what reality allows, and who else has to be taken into account.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I think mine are pretty changeable, because they are constantly, and I do mean on a day to day basis, being re-evaluated with new insights or new information.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think mine are pretty changeable, because they are constantly, and I do mean on a day to day basis, being re-evaluated with new insights or new information.

I think this illustrates one of the main differences between NFPs and SFPs. From what I have gathered, SFPs are very open to new activities, but not nearly as open to new ideas. This has been a source of conflict with me and my ex since the beginning of our relationship. My philosophies on stuff (values! crap, why do i keep wearing out spell-check?) stay much more consistent. So, whereas someone could tell me "hey, there's this great new cool thing called spanorking, let's go do it" and I'm like "Yeah! Let's go!", she was much more hesitant. And conversely, she would be like "I'm a vegetarian this week because of this new information" and I would be like "Meh."

Hopefully that made some sort of sense. :blush:

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
The theory of my values does not change, but the practical application changes.

Synthetic Darkness

I don't change my essence of my values, but if they conflict I will choose the one that I find more logical.

Logical feelers ftw?