User Tag List

123 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Default Peripheral vision and type

I have this random theory off the top of my head. Even though we normally associate sensing with observing our environment, I propose N dominant individuals tend to use their peripheral vision more often than S.

The use of peripheral vision is normally associated with fuzzy shapes and sudden moving objects or shift in color/contrast at the corner of our eyes. Therefore Ns will focus and use more of their peripheral vision in taking in their environments. (e.g. "vague" impressions of overall shapes and movements as cues). The Ss in contrast prefer taking in details which leads to a proportionally greater use of their focal vision in comparison to their peripheral vision. Even though on average Ss will attend to more things they see (combined focal + peripheral) compared to the Ns.

Prove me right or wrong here.
    From your personal experiences

1. Do you agree or disagree with my crazy idea?
    1. Your type and how would you describe your peripheral vision/perception?
    2. Do you rely on peripheral vision often? How does your usage compare to your focal vision?
    3. Examples of how you use peripheral vision?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Here are some tidbits. During my nightly walks I (from a distance) frequently liken shadows on the road/walls and many other dimly lit stationary objects, like road signs and lamp posts, to humanoid shapes. Of course that might just be my mind telling me I'm lonely or something to that effect.

I also sense movement around the edge of my visual awareness, making me turn around/look behind occasionally, and this can be something extraordinarily uncomfortable for me in public places where I usually keep my head down and dare not make much eye contact -- but keep seeing other people the same way all the time, which usually results in me not recognizing familiar faces and the like.
    Not really.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It's a good theory. Most of the times, especially when in alert situations, like at night I am pretty focussed on my environment. I really have a fast hand-eye coordination and I am highly dependant on what I see to find my way around.

Sometimes though if you walk absent minded somewhere on the street, things are pretty less focussed. I still can react to sudden movements and catch things thrown at me from the side, but its more like "feeling" your way around, besides seeing where you go. (I am famous for running into closed glas doors)

When I played soccer, peripheral vision was really a key strength in my position. I was pretty good at seeing and deciding in a second, if there is another guy from my team next to me I can pass the ball too.

I never deliberately thought about the concept, I always call it my matrix. Thats when you take in everything that is around you at once, without focussing on any specific detail, though still noticing every specific detail.

I think I would have made for a good cop, wouldnt I lack the seriousness for the job
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

My NLP trainer taught me how to use my peripheral vision (which was quite powerful already) in a more active fashion. Now I automatically switch it on whenever I am outdoors or want to visually scan a large area. It's quite incredible just how far around human vision can stretch using this skill - I estimate that I can see at least a 270 degree arc using this ability. Obviously things gets fuzzier as they get further away from my centre of my field of view, but I can still perceive enough detail to surprise people when I tell them what they are doing or wearing when I seem to be looking in the opposite direction! It even seems to help you sense objects which are completely behind you and therefore out of view. It's a great skill for moving through crowds of people as it allows me to track multiple moving objects at once.

I have also had the same idea as yourself (great minds think alike )- that Sensing is more centrally focussed and Intuition has a much broader sweep. It is certainly true for me.

On a related note, Introverted Intuition may have a connection with long-range vision as well. I've noticed (with myself and other INJs) that when Ni is being used a person seems to be staring into the far distance, as if looking towards infinity. Given that Ni is associated with taking a long-range view of life, this seems to make a lot of sense.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    XXFP

I'm a sensor.

I think you might be right about sensors desiring to use focal vision in order to get detail, but I think I use my peripheral vision a lot also.

I use my peripheral while riding my bike in traffic, it's pretty important crossing intersections. It's not all that useful when aiming a rifle, for instance, but it's actually not even useless then.

How could I compare the two types of vision? One is blurry, seems to have less color/contrast. Focal vision is...brighter and lets me focus on stuff.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    I

You may be on to something. As far as my vision goes, I seem to be more of a person focused on what he's seeing straight ahead, but at the same time I tend to notice movements out of the corner of my eye.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I really don't use my peripheral vision much at all, and I'm not very good at doing so. (There's a good metaphor in there, too...)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTP

I donít know about others but I tend towards using both peripheral and focal vision at the same time, for as much time as possible. I want to see everything.

I stare into space a lot so I need to be aware of whatís going on around me. That and staring into space is a great way for me to move through crowded streets as people tend to get out of my way if I look like Iím going to walk straight through them. I also have a tendency to get into deep thought at the oddest times (walking in crowded areas, playing sport, driving, while Iím being told important things) and I need to make sure I donít walk into others, smash the car or ignore the hand waving on front of my face..

I also got into trouble with my driving instructors because Iíd use my peripheral vision to check intersections and roundabouts and they wanted big visible head sweeps to the left and right to show them I was actually looking. I used to do this to appease them, but I donít anymore. A fuzzy moving thing approaching quickly somewhere on my left is the same as a red car accelerating towards me, in the long run.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Pancreas View Post
    I also got into trouble with my driving instructors because Iíd use my peripheral vision to check intersections and roundabouts and they wanted big visible head sweeps to the left and right to show them I was actually looking. I used to do this to appease them, but I donít anymore. A fuzzy moving thing approaching quickly somewhere on my left is the same as a red car accelerating towards me, in the long run.
    I'm currently taking driving lessons and I get exactly the same thing from my instructor. I'm used to riding my bicycle, where I totally rely on my peripheral vision to keep me safe (I have to; even while cycling I can drift into my inner world). So my natural tendency is to do this while driving as well. Like you I'm having to move my head in big sweeps to keep the instructor happy, but I actually find this hinders my ability to detect oncoming traffic!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INTJ

I must use my peripheral vision because I am *forever* totally ignoring a friend/someone I recognise who's walking past me (because I don't realise it's them, and I'm usually focused on getting where I'm going), but then when they've walked past me I realise and turn around (too late!)