• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Peripheral vision and type

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I have this random theory off the top of my head. Even though we normally associate sensing with observing our environment, I propose N dominant individuals tend to use their peripheral vision more often than S.

The use of peripheral vision is normally associated with fuzzy shapes and sudden moving objects or shift in color/contrast at the corner of our eyes. Therefore Ns will focus and use more of their peripheral vision in taking in their environments. (e.g. "vague" impressions of overall shapes and movements as cues). The Ss in contrast prefer taking in details which leads to a proportionally greater use of their focal vision in comparison to their peripheral vision. Even though on average Ss will attend to more things they see (combined focal + peripheral) compared to the Ns.

Prove me right or wrong here.
From your personal experiences

1. Do you agree or disagree with my crazy idea?
1. Your type and how would you describe your peripheral vision/perception?
2. Do you rely on peripheral vision often? How does your usage compare to your focal vision?
3. Examples of how you use peripheral vision?

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Here are some tidbits. During my nightly walks I (from a distance) frequently liken shadows on the road/walls and many other dimly lit stationary objects, like road signs and lamp posts, to humanoid shapes. Of course that might just be my mind telling me I'm lonely or something to that effect. :)

I also sense movement around the edge of my visual awareness, making me turn around/look behind occasionally, and this can be something extraordinarily uncomfortable for me in public places where I usually keep my head down and dare not make much eye contact -- but keep seeing other people the same way all the time, which usually results in me not recognizing familiar faces and the like.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's a good theory. Most of the times, especially when in alert situations, like at night I am pretty focussed on my environment. I really have a fast hand-eye coordination and I am highly dependant on what I see to find my way around.

Sometimes though if you walk absent minded somewhere on the street, things are pretty less focussed. I still can react to sudden movements and catch things thrown at me from the side, but its more like "feeling" your way around, besides seeing where you go. (I am famous for running into closed glas doors)

When I played soccer, peripheral vision was really a key strength in my position. I was pretty good at seeing and deciding in a second, if there is another guy from my team next to me I can pass the ball too.

I never deliberately thought about the concept, I always call it my matrix. Thats when you take in everything that is around you at once, without focussing on any specific detail, though still noticing every specific detail.

I think I would have made for a good cop, wouldnt I lack the seriousness for the job :D

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My NLP trainer taught me how to use my peripheral vision (which was quite powerful already) in a more active fashion. Now I automatically switch it on whenever I am outdoors or want to visually scan a large area. It's quite incredible just how far around human vision can stretch using this skill - I estimate that I can see at least a 270 degree arc using this ability. Obviously things gets fuzzier as they get further away from my centre of my field of view, but I can still perceive enough detail to surprise people when I tell them what they are doing or wearing when I seem to be looking in the opposite direction! It even seems to help you sense objects which are completely behind you and therefore out of view. It's a great skill for moving through crowds of people as it allows me to track multiple moving objects at once.

I have also had the same idea as yourself (great minds think alike :))- that Sensing is more centrally focussed and Intuition has a much broader sweep. It is certainly true for me.

On a related note, Introverted Intuition may have a connection with long-range vision as well. I've noticed (with myself and other INJs) that when Ni is being used a person seems to be staring into the far distance, as if looking towards infinity. Given that Ni is associated with taking a long-range view of life, this seems to make a lot of sense.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'm a sensor.

I think you might be right about sensors desiring to use focal vision in order to get detail, but I think I use my peripheral vision a lot also.

I use my peripheral while riding my bike in traffic, it's pretty important crossing intersections. It's not all that useful when aiming a rifle, for instance, but it's actually not even useless then.

How could I compare the two types of vision? One is blurry, seems to have less color/contrast. Focal vision is...brighter and lets me focus on stuff.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
You may be on to something. As far as my vision goes, I seem to be more of a person focused on what he's seeing straight ahead, but at the same time I tend to notice movements out of the corner of my eye.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really don't use my peripheral vision much at all, and I'm not very good at doing so. (There's a good metaphor in there, too...)

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don’t know about others but I tend towards using both peripheral and focal vision at the same time, for as much time as possible. I want to see everything.

I stare into space a lot so I need to be aware of what’s going on around me. That and staring into space is a great way for me to move through crowded streets as people tend to get out of my way if I look like I’m going to walk straight through them. I also have a tendency to get into deep thought at the oddest times (walking in crowded areas, playing sport, driving, while I’m being told important things) and I need to make sure I don’t walk into others, smash the car or ignore the hand waving on front of my face..

I also got into trouble with my driving instructors because I’d use my peripheral vision to check intersections and roundabouts and they wanted big visible head sweeps to the left and right to show them I was actually looking. I used to do this to appease them, but I don’t anymore. A fuzzy moving thing approaching quickly somewhere on my left is the same as a red car accelerating towards me, in the long run.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also got into trouble with my driving instructors because I’d use my peripheral vision to check intersections and roundabouts and they wanted big visible head sweeps to the left and right to show them I was actually looking. I used to do this to appease them, but I don’t anymore. A fuzzy moving thing approaching quickly somewhere on my left is the same as a red car accelerating towards me, in the long run.

I'm currently taking driving lessons and I get exactly the same thing from my instructor. I'm used to riding my bicycle, where I totally rely on my peripheral vision to keep me safe (I have to; even while cycling I can drift into my inner world). So my natural tendency is to do this while driving as well. Like you I'm having to move my head in big sweeps to keep the instructor happy, but I actually find this hinders my ability to detect oncoming traffic!

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
I must use my peripheral vision because I am *forever* totally ignoring a friend/someone I recognise who's walking past me (because I don't realise it's them, and I'm usually focused on getting where I'm going), but then when they've walked past me I realise and turn around (too late!)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I also sense movement around the edge of my visual awareness, making me turn around/look behind occasionally, and this can be something extraordinarily uncomfortable for me in public places where I usually keep my head down and dare not make much eye contact -- but keep seeing other people the same way all the time, which usually results in me not recognizing familiar faces and the like.
*nods* I have a tendency to do that as well... Actually when I was young, my dad use to comment how I shouldn't walk with my head down because it looks like I have little self confidence and is just scuttering along.

Hmmm the thing with recognizing people, I tend to first notice the person's stance and how they move before focusing on their face...

Sometimes though if you walk absent minded somewhere on the street, things are pretty less focussed. I still can react to sudden movements and catch things thrown at me from the side, but its more like "feeling" your way around, besides seeing where you go. (I am famous for running into closed glas doors)
Running into stuff... Sometimes I do that too. Well not exactly, more like I just miss slamming into stuff. I stop like 1 cm away from the thing in front of me. And if somebody is behind me, they end up bumping into me because I stop so suddenly. :D

I never deliberately thought about the concept, I always call it my matrix. Thats when you take in everything that is around you at once, without focussing on any specific detail, though still noticing every specific detail.
So I take it you're attribute peripheral awareness to Ne. I wonder how different is Ne sort of awareness vs Ni...

I'm a sensor.

I think you might be right about sensors desiring to use focal vision in order to get detail, but I think I use my peripheral vision a lot also.

I use my peripheral while riding my bike in traffic, it's pretty important crossing intersections. It's not all that useful when aiming a rifle, for instance, but it's actually not even useless then.

How could I compare the two types of vision? One is blurry, seems to have less color/contrast. Focal vision is...brighter and lets me focus on stuff.
So you use whichever that is the most useful to you. Would you say you'll use focal vision if it's convenient for you to do so and save peripheral vision for looking at objects in your periphery only?

I don’t know about others but I tend towards using both peripheral and focal vision at the same time, for as much time as possible. I want to see everything.
Hmmm interesting. I usually don't attend to both. Mostly for spotting things I use peripheral only. I just find it easier if things are "blurred" so I don't have too much junk to distract me.

*nods* I can see that. You know something is there... do you NEED to know that's specifically a red car?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I always seem to be aware of peripheral. Though I do walk into stuff. So walls and doors mustn't be considered interesting enough.

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmmm interesting. I usually don't attend to both. Mostly for spotting things I use peripheral only.

Well, of course I usually favour one or the other (probably focal vision more so, but I’m often doing something which requires some level of clarity of vision). I’m pretty sure because I pay attention to both that what I see is not quite as detailed was what people who use mostly focal vision are getting though. So I get a bigger picture, but with less clarity. Or at least, that’s my excuse. “It’s not my fault, I just have balanced vision.”

I just find it easier if things are "blurred" so I don't have too much junk to distract me.

I focus more on peripheral vision when I’m zoned out. Perhaps this is why.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I have this random theory off the top of my head. Even though we normally associate sensing with observing our environment, I propose N dominant individuals tend to use their peripheral vision more often than S.

The use of peripheral vision is normally associated with fuzzy shapes and sudden moving objects or shift in color/contrast at the corner of our eyes. Therefore Ns will focus and use more of their peripheral vision in taking in their environments. (e.g. "vague" impressions of overall shapes and movements as cues). The Ss in contrast prefer taking in details which leads to a proportionally greater use of their focal vision in comparison to their peripheral vision. Even though on average Ss will attend to more things they see (combined focal + peripheral) compared to the Ns.

2. Do you rely on peripheral vision often? How does your usage compare to your focal vision?
A car approaches when I am about to cross the road.
I do not turn my head. I cross the road.
I stoop my shoulders. A message to the driver.
A careless pedestrian shrunken in his thoughts.
I bet.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

More like N focal vision is as fuzzy as S peripheral vision.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7

I kinda use peripheral to spot something that may somehow concern me in order to look directly at it. In that vague description driving is involved so those concerns are a 1000 per sec. Inturn, that may make me pretty good at it as an (N).

xx00oo00xx

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Maybe (N)s are better at predicting what the peripheral info means (like what is about to happen and what they need to do to respond, allowing them to react quicker). Maybe because they intuit instead of access Si or something.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That's a great theory.
But it doesn't work for people such as me who wear eyeglasses.
We don't have good enough peripheral vision to make it useful, regardless of personality type.
:nerd:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you INTJs forgetting you have Se?

This peripheral vision skill you think you have, is it something you can keep attending to for long periods of time? If it's associated with Ni, the dominant process, it'd be well-powered, right? And you'd able to do it a lot. But if you're finding it comes and goes, or you can do it but after a short while you're thinking about something else, it's probably just good, old fashioned Se.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Are you INTJs forgetting you have Se?

This peripheral vision skill you think you have, is it something you can keep attending to for long periods of time? If it's associated with Ni, the dominant process, it'd be well-powered, right? And you'd able to do it a lot. But if you're finding it comes and goes, or you can do it but after a short while you're thinking about something else, it's probably just good, old fashioned Se.

I used to think it's Se because it's vision after all... but it's not the same. I never look AT something. I notice its shape and movement. And from that I've fairly good at identifying what it is. For example I can pick out a bird or say a squirrel in the tree... but that's not because I "see" it. It's more like a change in shades and color in my peripheral vision. Then I see the shape (birds are mostly pear shaped) and go oh there it is. In other words, I'm good at pin pointing moving objects, but have lousy discrimination when it comes to still objects. I doubt SPs spot things this way.

Perhaps it's limited Se feeding in a specific manner into Ni. It doesn't really take any effort but too much "noise" in the background makes it difficult.