• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Peripheral vision and type

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
That's a great theory.
But it doesn't work for people such as me who wear eyeglasses.
We don't have good enough peripheral vision to make it useful, regardless of personality type.
:nerd:

regardless of your type. U've probly found a way to use audio peripheral but don't know it because your to concerned with your eye balls.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I used to think it's Se because it's vision after all... but it's not the same. I never look AT something. I notice its shape and movement. And from that I've fairly good at identifying what it is. For example I can pick out a bird or say a squirrel in the tree... but that's not because I "see" it. It's more like a change in shades and color in my peripheral vision. Then I see the shape (birds are mostly pear shaped) and go oh there it is. In other words, I'm good at pin pointing moving objects, but have lousy discrimination when it comes to still objects. I doubt SPs spot things this way.

Perhaps it's limited Se feeding in a specific manner into Ni.

One perception function at one end of the spectrum feeding into the other at the other end?

I know what you mean about spotting movement, though. I've had that since I was a kid and been aware enough of it to remember a tibdit of information, something about predators and how their sense organs are keyed to motion. Or is it prey? I forget what I remember.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
It's an interesting theory, but...

peripheral vision has nothing to do with personality. Vision and it's acuity is governed by a more primitive part of the brain than anything having to do with personality, which is a product of the forebrain, and later evolution.

NF's may 'look' for things at the 'periphery' of ideas, but this is an intellectual preference, and has nothing to do with actual vision.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't rely on peripheral vision a lot I don't think. Sometimes I seem to get tunnel vision.

I find that when there is something in my peripheral that might resemble something else, my mind will somehow compensate in a way and I'll actually hallucinate the familiar object that the thing in my peripheral resembles. Then I turn my head quickly, because what I'm seeing doesn't belong there, and then the true object becomes clear and I'm relieved. It can be quite eerie actually.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I rely on my peripheral vision more than most people because using it was trained into me for three and a half years straight and has been reinforced into the present moment.

Intriguing though...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

peripheral vision has nothing to do with personality. Vision and it's acuity is governed by a more primitive part of the brain than anything having to do with personality, which is a product of the forebrain, and later evolution.

NF's may 'look' for things at the 'periphery' of ideas, but this is an intellectual preference, and has nothing to do with actual vision.
I'm trying to get at the relationship between thinking preferences with physical/behavioral habits. Hence this thread.

I guess you can say I just couldn't see personality as being a completely mental sort of thing that only lives in the brain. After all, it changes how we interact with the environment, so why not take it one step further and ask if it affects our perception of the environment?

I don't rely on peripheral vision a lot I don't think. Sometimes I seem to get tunnel vision.

I find that when there is something in my peripheral that might resemble something else, my mind will somehow compensate in a way and I'll actually hallucinate the familiar object that the thing in my peripheral resembles. Then I turn my head quickly, because what I'm seeing doesn't belong there, and then the true object becomes clear and I'm relieved. It can be quite eerie actually.
Interesting... I've wrongly identified odd-shaped rocks as little critters at a distance... but never "hallucinated" per se. :huh:

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7

Are you blind?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Neat..
1. Do you agree or disagree with my crazy idea?
1. Your type and how would you describe your peripheral vision/perception?
2. Do you rely on peripheral vision often? How does your usage compare to your focal vision?
3. Examples of how you use peripheral vision?

1. I :yes: w/your crazy idea. Love it. :smile:

2. ENFP- I would say your description is very close to mine.

3. I rely on peripheral vision pretty often (saves my life on freeways- blind spots, crazy people who can't seem to drive straight in one lane, helps me dodge quick, both sides). :)

4. Examples? I always had poor vision when I was a kid. I wore glasses. The lenses were so thick? My guy friends would use it to burn paper under the sun. Basically, if I have my glasses off, I see large objects, mostly focus on the 'large' 'overall' image.. I also rely in my intuition to find my way around things like at night when I'm too lazy to turn on the lights. Try it. It's fun! With glasses on.. I use my vision just as I would with glasses off. I don't wear them. I try to include lots of beta carotene in my diet so I can retrain my eyes to naturally improve.