User Tag List

First 123 Last

Braintypes has not been substantiated by scientific experimentation.

One problem I found with it immediately is the claim that SF types have the best gross motor skills and ST types the best fine. My ESTP brother has AMAZING gross motor skills and awful fine motor skills (and was tested for this as a young person), while I (ISFP of course) tested as having great fine motor skills and only moderately good gross motor skills. My experience is anecdotal, but so are the braintype claims...

That said, it sounds like an attempt at what Socionics has been doing for many years. I think the next step for socionics will be if/when discoveries in the neuroscience field can correlate with personality type differences.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    have you stumbled upon BrainTypes.com yet?
    I've bashed the information presented on their site once... I am deeply offended by the BS they put on the site and call "scientific findings".

INTP Central - View Single Post - BrainTypes - Neidnagel

As to the correlational study done on extroversion and introversion... that's defined by Big 5's definition for introversion and extroversion which isn't quite the same as MBTI I/E. There's also the small sample size to consider. However it's interesting findings. A chicken and egg problem... does increase activity in parts of your brain lead to personality or does personality dictate how active different areas are? Or is it neither... that both of these are those to a 3rd un-indentified reason?

We simply don't know enough about how the brain works to make any reasonable guesses.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Here is an interesting article discussing the relationship between the type functions and the structure of the brain by Lenore Thomson, which you may not have seen:

http://www.greatlakesapt.org/uploads/media/beebe1.PDF
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Wow, Thomson on Beebe. Interesting. Not only that, it also says audio of Beebe's big lecture is available. That must have been the primary source for his concepts. I had been wondering if it was available on audio. But it's $55.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    FWIW, when I read Lenore's book I saw her bibliographical references about "brain types" leading to a man named Jon Niednagel. He's the one who owns/runs that website. I didn't dig very deep but I had a hard time finding any useful information about this man or his research. Sounded sketchy to me. Maybe you (or anyone else here) can look into his work?

Actually it looks like the website has more info than I saw when I first investigated his name, but I'd still like to see a critical opinion about the man's work.
    At the first glance the site does not convince me either. They just try to sell something. This can be hardly scientific.
    Thoughts die the moment they are embodied by words. (Arthur Schopenhauer)

well everyone tries to sell the mbti, which sucks in my book, but neither impresses me. there must be thousand re-brandings. (btw, since you are german: check out iPersonic. Der kostenlose Persnlichkeitstest. Weltweit ber 1 Mio Nutzer. ) edit: just btw as an example for rebrandings, there is no connection to neuro-science to dont bother ...

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    It is always wrong to say something does not exist, because we can not explain it.
    I fully agree with you there. However I wonder if scientist would ever investigate those functions.

The other intresting discussion there was, was about a difference in the makeup of the brain between Introverts and Extroverts. Here is a link to it:
    Introvert / Extrovert: the difference is in your brain
    This difference seems to be scientifically proven. There are a few studies on the web.

I like it, because it gives a multi-facetted view of the motivations of other people, you couldnt get to know in the real world, because you are not sensitive to them. Nevertheless in the end its just fun and shouldnt treaten too serious
    Still I would love to find out more. I am very reluctant to believe that scientist will ever present evidence about 16 types. But they could find scientific explanations for those eight functions.

well everyone tries to sell the mbti, which sucks in my book, but neither impresses me. there must be thousand re-brandings. (btw, since you are german: check out iPersonic. Der kostenlose Persnlichkeitstest. Weltweit ber 1 Mio Nutzer. ) edit: just btw as an example for rebrandings, there is no connection to neuro-science to dont bother ...
    It is a big business. However I think the theory behind it is very interesting and it does not really have to do with mbti. I mean you can notice the types without using the questionnaire. Which does not mean that I deny its usefulness. In Germany the mbti test seems to be expensive. There is only one company that will give you the permission to distribute it. They have ridiculously high fees for their licensing seminars.

oh well i didn't realize that they have protected the name "mbti". if i see a re-branding i just try to read between the lines, whether it has been inspired rather by socionics (or rather by functions) or mbti (or 4 letters, p/j clichs), and i am not sure about ipersonic, but i have a weak memory that i detected some hints on the braintype site, indicating that braintypes rather matches mbti, but my memory frequently sucks. so in my mind keirsey is mapped to "mbti" as well.

Did you take that test? What types does it test?