User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Glycerine

You definitely sound like INFJ then.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    I really like this description, it has relevance to how I learn about science as well.
    Me: Neither have I, I just learnt the individual concepts and put everything together.

The understanding happened subconsciously, too. I didn't know that I knew it until I explained everything in a Te-driven manner. It just was how it happened to me.
    The Te/Ni combination definitely manifests itself in this way for me, too. It's as if you just know how to take individual ideas or tangible goods and string them together in a way that gets the results or explanations that you're looking for.

I think the analogy of the Italian suit has to do with a Fe/Ni combination, in that social rules dictate that an Italian suit means something, but Ni dismantles that assumption. Thoughts on that?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Theory:

Ni - Discovering the threads that tie different ideas together.
    Ne - Following the threads from one idea to a new one.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Theory:

Bingo... that sounds about right!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    ^I live and breathe this.
    Me too!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo Barbarosa View Post
    I like that element of it, but I almost do agree with nightning that it could be a bit more specific. I'd probably say something like about the ASSET versus outside the ASSET.

I was thinking about how Ni tends to think more like a video game. You know how when you play a video game, a lot of arbitrary rules get thrown around here and there, and instead of being like "THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE ACCORDING TO WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE WORLD" (which is fine, even useful in other situations) you tend to use the rules and abilities and environments that you actively observe to give your very definition of the game, and how you should play in it. What, exactly, you should be doing, to move towards (ideally) a goal.

Now, with Ni...it's almost like LIFE is that game, and the exact definitions of things, although important in the right context, aren't absolutely important. Their absolute importance is almost defined by their...usefulness? At least within the given scenario (i.e., the video game)
    That is really spooky - you have reached the exact same conclusion I did: that Ni is far more interested in "usefulness" than it is in "absolute truth", which seems to be what Ti is trying to discover. I've posted on this very idea before (http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ly-feel-2.html, see entry 15) and upset a certain INTP by doing so!

I would hazard a guess that this difference is the source of some of the (occasionally nasty) conflicts that sometimes break out between INJs and INTPs. I'm thinking specifically here of the recent frank(!) exchange of views which got Jack Flak banned from this forum.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Theory:

Expanding upon this.

Ti - Tying together different ideas into a whole.
    Te - Tying together ideas in order to reach the end.

This means that Ti and Ni can look very similiar.

That big mess represents what an Ni/Ti model looks like. All the different ideas are tied together in a giant tangled mess. The difference is that to Ni, they were always there, Ni just found them. Ti on the other hand, tied them together by hand.

This is what Ne/Te looks like. It follows a straight line from one idea to the next. The difference again is that to Ne, they always existed, and Ne was just following the threads. And Te is going along and actually threading them together.

The threads Ni and Ne find aren't real, but then Ti and Te come along and make them real.
    - Costrin

This means that Ti and Ni can look very similiar.
    yeah unfortunately Fi and Ti can be talked about in such away, that it sound a lot like it was a perceptive function (Ni) *hint*

but if you look closely, you can often see that people talk about something that has a sequential if else style and a polar-alternating thing to it

Intuition is like a kaleidoscope but its a thinking or feeling function that makes the decision to swap the kaleidoscope all around.
    (like: "lets check out if the opposite could be true as well" or "I could like this, then i would perceive it like this.... or I could hate this, then it would look like that ...")

so for example, that could make [TiNe] look like ... a creative & synthezising (introverted) kaleidoscope

however a true creative/synthezising kaleidoscope (Ni) does a switching in itself and its not a toggling as described, more like a pattern seeking like when you change the focus/zoom of a camera or switch from light to infrared. still the whole thing will be toggled by purpose for the liking of Te or Fe)

a function on its own cant make a lot of sense or meaning.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    yeah unfortunately Fi and Ti can be talked about in such away, that it sound a lot like it was perceptive function (Ni)

but if you look closely, you can often see that people talk about something that has a sequential if else style and a polar-alternating thing to it

Intuition is like a kaleidoscope but its a thinking or feeling function that makes the decision to swap the kaleidoscope all around. (lets check out if the opposite could be true as well)

for example, that could make [TiNe] look like ... a creative & synthezising (introverted) kaleidoscope
    Yeah, still developing my metaphor for F and S. I think I have a pretty good one for S that I'll post eventually. My F metaphor still needs developing.

Eventually I'll have a giant visual representation of all the functions and no one will be able to understand them because my art skills suck!

Bottom line though: The functions are all actually pretty similiar.
    - Costrin

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Excellent visuals, Costrin.