User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Hmmm that's interesting. The way I go about things is a bit different. I randomly stumble upon an idea that I thought would be interesting... then I grab my pencil and paper to start sketching whatever I had on my mind. It's as if I have the image or the major portion of it in my head and I'm just frantically trying to replicate that on paper before the image goes poof. I leave the details last... but the concept comes to me more or less completely before I even pick up the pencil. But then again I'm more of an idea person than an artist. Perhaps that's why it's different.
    I dunno...this is making me doubt my T now. I do that with other things...just not with the act of drawing. It's almost like an Ni trust-fall for me when I draw...I'm kind of counting on that intuition to give me the details that I know fit into a framework, somehow...I just need to coax them out, like feeding nuts to a squirrel. Once they are in play though, they definitely err on the side of rationality. It's almost like my mind spits out an image, and the image is incredibly symbolic and abstract, and then my conscious mind is like "well this won't do. What do all of these symbols mean?" and then tries to find the logical context of the abstract piece.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    {sees how unhappy most INFJs are} ....um... no thanks! ...inferior Fi is bad enough, i dont need Dom Ni too!
    I'm happy! I'm always full of sunshine and light (well most of the time, anyway). However, you are right to stick with your Dom Te as it's what our society prefers. As an INFJ, Te is looong way from my consciousness and my career has definitely suffered as a result.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Hmmm that's interesting. The way I go about things is a bit different. I randomly stumble upon an idea that I thought would be interesting... then I grab my pencil and paper to start sketching whatever I had on my mind. It's as if I have the image or the major portion of it in my head and I'm just frantically trying to replicate that on paper before the image goes poof. I leave the details last... but the concept comes to me more or less completely before I even pick up the pencil. But then again I'm more of an idea person than an artist. Perhaps that's why it's different.
    Funny, that's the way I always go about in writing or drawing. I'm just trying to capture the idea that popped to my mind as fast as I can, before it fades away. It frustrates me that I can't be fast enough.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I really like this description, it has relevance to how I learn about science as well.

A conversation that I had last night while tutoring a friend (who has the same qualifications as me but no background in chem) for her pre-med exam.

Me: So, if you think about how a polyacrylamide gel works, for example, the acrylamide functions as an alkene that gets polymerised. The concentration of the acrylamide determines how close together the molecules are - hence, the pore size of the gel. To start of the reaction, you add APS and TEMED. APS is a peroxy oxidant, which generates free radicals, and the TEMED catalyses this. So you have a polymerisation reaction driven by free radicals.

Have you ever felt the tube that you pour the gel into?

Her: No, why would I do that?

Me: The tube is hot, because of the bonds that are forming. That process is exothermic.

Her: Huh. I don't think I've ever been taught this before.

Me: Neither have I, I just learnt the individual concepts and put everything together.

The understanding happened subconsciously, too. I didn't know that I knew it until I explained everything in a Te-driven manner. It just was how it happened to me.

My friend got through uni without understanding anything that she learnt, I suspect. She relied on memory - and now is panicking with the postgrad premed exam, because it is a test based on reasoning and logic games - which she seldom uses.

Last night I realised how useful Ni/Te was... There are quite a few people who just don't think in this way naturally, and it takes a lot of effort for them to put things together.

Here is an analogy that I have for the Ni process (crystallisation). There are many molecules swimming together in solution, let's say that you have a supersaturated solution that has been cooled, and nothing's crystallised yet. You put in a seed crystal and bang! Everything crystallises at once, forming a networked, ordered structure (that also happens to be quite beautiful ). The crystals that form are big and differ from beaker to beaker - but when you look down a the microscopic level, they have the same structure and are made of the same molecules.

I went back and actually read the page, and the quoted section is a really really good definition of Ni. I can relate to it very well. Especially the "about the box" -part.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I like that element of it, but I almost do agree with nightning that it could be a bit more specific. I'd probably say something like about the ASSET versus outside the ASSET.

I was thinking about how Ni tends to think more like a video game. You know how when you play a video game, a lot of arbitrary rules get thrown around here and there, and instead of being like "THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE ACCORDING TO WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE WORLD" (which is fine, even useful in other situations) you tend to use the rules and abilities and environments that you actively observe to give your very definition of the game, and how you should play in it. What, exactly, you should be doing, to move towards (ideally) a goal.

Now, with Ni...it's almost like LIFE is that game, and the exact definitions of things, although important in the right context, aren't absolutely important. Their absolute importance is almost defined by their...usefulness? At least within the given scenario (i.e., the video game)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I like interpretation 3 the best.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I like interpretation 3 the best.
    I hadn't looked at the website initially, but just did.

This example from interp. 3 is something I do ALL the time, with pretty much everyone/everything:

For example, whereas from an Extraverted Sensation perspective, you might feel very impressed upon meeting a man wearing a fancy Italian suit (signs call forth a natural response and need no interpretation); from an Ni perspective, you would consciously say to yourself that he's wearing an Italian suit and this is supposed to make you think he's wealthy or upper-class or really has his act together or something like that, and therefore is supposed to make you feel impressed (signs and what they mean are connected only arbitrarily). Whether he really does have his act together is a matter upon which you reserve judgement. Consequently you don't feel impressed. You merely note the expected interpretation as no less a part of your environment than the suit itself.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post

This example from interp. 3 is something I do ALL the time, with pretty much everyone/everything:

For example, whereas from an Extraverted Sensation perspective, you might feel very impressed upon meeting a man wearing a fancy Italian suit (signs call forth a natural response and need no interpretation); from an Ni perspective, you would consciously say to yourself that he's wearing an Italian suit and this is supposed to make you think he's wealthy or upper-class or really has his act together or something like that, and therefore is supposed to make you feel impressed (signs and what they mean are connected only arbitrarily). Whether he really does have his act together is a matter upon which you reserve judgement. Consequently you don't feel impressed. You merely note the expected interpretation as no less a part of your environment than the suit itself.
    Is this what makes INFJ's skeptical of people and and rarely take things at face value? I've noticed if I meet someone who seems extremely nice and outgoing, I'll still question it inside my head. "Is it all an act?" "Are they truly a nice person or are they hiding behind something?" Are they trying to deceive me?". I'm always closely examining people to verify if they are being genuine or fake.

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post

^I live and breathe this.