• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You're not 100% anything.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
If you take 100 different MBTI tests and score 100% on all of them, the chances of you being 100% N is very very unlikely..

It's not that clean cut and dry, everyone has every type in them, and we all use every function everyday. There are times when I use my I, my S, my T, and my J. Your type is only there to represent where the majority of your personality comes from.

It's completely insane to claim that you're 100% a certain type because you took a stupid 75 question test on it..It's like an IQ test..they give you a few narrowed down questions that focus on only a few strands of intelligence, and automatically define your IQ. Tests cover so little of your personality that it's insane that you can believe your 100% something.

As for me, I hover, mostly, around the NP types..my personality can show INTP, ENTP, INFP, and ENFP..it just so hapens that I am more like an ENFP.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you take 100 different MBTI tests and score 100% on all of them, the chances of you being 100% N is very very unlikely..

Uhhh, no. If you take ONE HUNDRED MBTI TESTS, the chances of you being 100% N is very very LIKELY. :yes:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI will always be tainted by subjectivity

Tainted? It's entirely subjective. And hypothetical. That doesn't diminish its utility. And I don't think much weighting is given to percentages in the analysis - just whether there is a clear preference one way or the other. Don't understand the problem.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Uhhh, no. If you take ONE HUNDRED MBTI TESTS, the chances of you being 100% N is very very LIKELY. :yes:

Ok, I worded that wrong. But what I was trying to get across was that it doesn't matter what the test tells you, 100% or not, you can't be pure, as all of our decisions don't stem from the same exact function all of the time, certain variations regulate.

G

garbage

If the whole idea of a percentage bothers you, just treat it as an approximate percentile. Problem solved. You can thank me later.

(directed at everyone)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Hey! I'm 100 E, I'm on crack yes :)

anchorboy2

MBTI Type
ISTJ
The problem is the pigeon hole. By MBTI sticking a letter on me because I scored a few percentage points one direction, suddenly I'm lumped with EVERYONE 51%+. My 54% "I" aligns me with the 92% "I"'s even though our preferences may show up significantly different in my visible behavior. The MBTI results (once tatooed to our foreheads) almost implies to others we are 100% of each letter.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Saying you're 100% something is like prejudging how you're always going to act in certain situations. Don't we do things different all of the time? Isn't each situation different? Why believe what a small narrowed test tells you when they brush on aspects that are so limited and only provide a straw view of the whole mural of you're personality. Our personalities even run deeper than type descriptions, they are just crude loose definitions that is just icing on the cake.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The problem is the pigeon hole. By MBTI sticking a letter on me because I scored a few percentage points one direction, suddenly I'm lumped with EVERYONE 51%+. My 54% "I" aligns me with the 92% "I"'s even though our preferences may show up significantly different in my visible behavior. The MBTI results (once tatooed to our foreheads) almost implies to others we are 100% of each letter.

This is a good point. Also, I score most closely on T/F, although I score more F 99% of the time. This changes the order of the functions. Should I be closer to having a certain function come first rather than another function, and does the T/F scale really represent this or is it just a crude test of whether I prefer T/F more rather than Ti, Te, Fi, Fe, or any of the other functions? For me, I would prefer if MBTI completely got rid of the 4-letter designations and completely used the functions to denote type. I've seen some people on this forum do that in their sigs etc. - they may be on the right track there. For me, to think about Fi +Ne is more useful in general than to think INFP.

I also think the 4-letter system is limiting. In the Enneagram, if you are a 4 is doesn't mean you aren't also a 1-9, just that you're on the 4 spot along a spectrum mostly. The 4-letter makes it seem like an INFP is not also partly an ISTP or an ENTJ, etc. Generally, the MBTI is "set in place," whereas the Enneagram is a system of constant motion, between levels of health, integration & disintegration, wings, etc.

anchorboy2

MBTI Type
ISTJ
For me, I would prefer if MBTI completely got rid of the 4-letter designations and completely used the functions to denote type. I've seen some people on this forum do that in their sigs etc. - they may be on the right track there. For me, to think about Fi +Ne is more useful in general than to think INFP.

I also think the 4-letter system is limiting. In the Enneagram, if you are a 4 is doesn't mean you aren't also a 1-9, just that you're on the 4 spot along a spectrum mostly. The 4-letter makes it seem like an INFP is not also partly an ISTP or an ENTJ, etc. Generally, the MBTI is "set in place," whereas the Enneagram is a system of constant motion, between levels of health, integration & disintegration, wings, etc.

We're really a gradient, aren't we? A system that could show those nuances would surely increase face validity with people completing the assessment. I find it a hurdle in a training room when 1/3 of the room is fighting their own result.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Even under the assumption you can be 100% anything, you still have other functions that can be inverted. In the example of ENTP, Ne to Ti. All percentage is is the consistency you land on one end of the spectrum compared to the other (not 100% sure about that).

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i agree with the post title. tho percents are a good way of getting an idea of how strong your preferences are, they are not absolute truth. this also applies to the actual MBTI model as well. both are just ways to model the human cognition.