• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTPs do you relate: black and white vision and dislike fuzziness

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
"You tend to see the world in black and white and dislike fuzziness"
(from the test on TypeSorter )

I relate to this and I think it's typical J-ness.
This is my primary personality trait; I can't handle fuzziness.

I'm interested in learning about the ENTP, and the differences between J/P.

So: what is your equivalent of this primary personality trait?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Everything is fuzzy, black and white is so limiting. If I had a choice of learning or just knowing I’d pick learning.

Qre:us

"You tend to see the world in black and white and dislike fuzziness"
(from the test on TypeSorter )

I relate to this and I think it's typical J-ness.
This is my primary personality trait; I can't handle fuzziness.

I'm interested in learning about the ENTP, and the differences between J/P.

So: what is your equivalent of this primary personality trait?

black/white is so final. it's boring. there's not more to learn, to investigate, to poke at. To expound on. And, hardly most things in this world can be summed up that neatly. The only one that's for certain: life/death. Everything else....

..well, I like to dream in colour.

G

garbage

I'm just here to verify the ENTJ perspective :)

I can't help but try to classify and categorize, so all people and things end up falling into some category. I often want to know the status or progress of something, be it a relationship or some task at hand, which means trying to clearly define it. Hence, black-and-white (or at least "gradientless") thinking sometimes. As I've relaxed my J, this has become less prevalent, at least as compared to other J's.

I'm willing to bet that primary Fe is similar, in that a person can fall into a particular social role and is therefore defined by that role.. any FJ's want to comment?

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I see nothing as black and white, everything has special cases. If you don't consider those special cases, you run the risk of running into severe problems down the road.

LucrativeSid

It's hard to take action and progress when everything is fuzzy. It's not that I don't see gray, it's just that if something is too gray it's not actionable, and in many ways, worthless. (And I'm counting decisions as actions here.) I don't want to spend my life spinning in circles, but I also don't want to be so obsessed with clarity that I close my mind from actually seeing what's there.

deleted
I'm an INTJ but to me all of the extroverted functions are more fuzzy than the introverted ones.

Ni is very clear to me
Te gets to be more fuzzy than perhaps Ti
Fi is plain and simple
Se is completely everywhere

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I see nothing as black and white, everything has special cases. If you don't consider those special cases, you run the risk of running into severe problems down the road.

Exceptions to every rule.
Although black/white thinking says: 'define every exception so it can be fit into the black and white scheme!':doh:

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
the more complex the more stimulating

I agree with that... simple is boring

But... what is the endresult for the P people, especially ENTP's?
I know the technical, official answer, it's what Jung says... but I need some concrete, personal experiences.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I get what everyone is saying in terms of grayness, but I am black and white when I finally reach a decision. I can, and love to, speculate all day. I rarely make an effort to decide on something. But once forced to make a decision, it is final. You are either with me or against me. And I know it is final because I have spent months deliberating all the possible outcomes.

Also, when debating or discoursing, I need to break things down to its lowest common denominator. When someone is spewing a lot of words, I need to ask them "Is it this or is it that?" or "what exactly is your point?". I need to see where they stand in their argument, or I can't respond to it. So, I guess that is another way of being black or white, too.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't like the concept of black and white at all and suspect that it's WAY too narrow of a manner in which to look at the world :thelook:

I'm only comfortable working with shades of gray- darker and lighter gray, but I don't beleive that ANYTHING is purely good or bad (or purely anything for that matter)

Black and white is for jailbirds and old televisions, not for world views (IMO)

redacted

Ti strives for clarity. If something is gray, it just means you need to come up with a better framework.

I hate it when things are gray -- I just take it as a sign that I need to think through it better.

P.S. Fuzziness is different than continuous functions. The opposite of discrete is not fuzzy, it's continuous. I consider spectrums to be black and white (black on one side, white on the other...it's still one dimensional...)

Also, I'm not saying everything is one dimensional. I'm just saying -- if your framework (some amount of intersecting spectrums) cannot accurately describe a phenomenon with no exceptions, it's not a good framework.

Sachetan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I quote my wise ENFJ friend who once said:
"If you know what you're looking for, you cannot be happily surprised".

That's my attitude too. Black and/or white limit one's thinking. And for me there shouldn't be superficial limitations. I can't see the point of them.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I compute things in shades. I mean, It's not a problem, it's like working with .01 variations in a flow instead of 0\1 coding.

I don't think the 'black and white vs fuzziness' applies. It's only an issue when I need to explain things, and that's why I have basically two 'chatty' personas:

One will seek the simple pleasure of speaking\arguing some.
One will go way deeper because I will do the effort to try and translate my thoughts into clear expressions, which can really be a major pain in the ass and will never ever be a satisfying translation.

Something tells me entps are pros at using metaphores :D

Ti strives for clarity. If something is gray, it just means you need to come up with a better framework.

I hate it when things are gray -- I just take it as a sign that I need to think through it better.
That's because ur an infj with a pimped up Ti, not an entp.

edit: I think the main problem here is that I and perhaps entps in general will even argue expressions such as 'black and white' and 'fuzziness'. You could say for example that in the end if there's an absolute truth there's a level of 'black and white interpretation' to everything, but then again even if you had that knowledge it'd still be like seeing an apple, what you see is just a construct based upon a 'reality' (you can't even say thing, things are a mental construct).
And hell, I could argue every single world for a year if I wanted to be 'precise', so I can't work in 'black and white'.

Think of a quantum computer, the 0\1 can be 60% at 0 and 40% at 1. It's the same thing.
I think that's what Ne+Ti is about.

Ni+Ti for example would rather be about taking 0 and 1, and zooming in to 10^-15 using different perspectives just as science uses different technics for different measured scales.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
...I have basically two 'chatty' personas:

One will seek simple pleasure of speaking\arguing some
One will go way deeper because...
Is it fair to say that EcK is a collective?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Case in point: we all know that we are ENTPs and not ISFJs, it's pretty black and white. Case closed.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
not necissarily... it's all just a theory anyways and while we're busy theorizing on MBTI we could discuss shadow functions and shadow selves and that would mean that it was quite possible somehow that we're both ENTPs AND ISFJs... :thinking:

Gray areas are what I thrive on because they give you a lot more room to think, wonder and come up with new possibilities and arguments- gray is fun, black and white is stifling

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Gray fuzz, all day everyday. Drives other people insane, but what am I supposed to do about it?