Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Archetypes of the Functions

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Found this page: Wellness Resources of Vermont that lists each of the 16 type's eight archetypes. But it is in form (same descriptions for each archetype, next to same descriptions of each function, only in their respective orders)

This is Hunziker's site. I see their book is also availble from Telos. Jungs Mental Processes: Building Blocks of Personality Type, 2006, Haas & Hunziker, Unite Publications I wonder if it goes into more detail of how each function in each position plays out.

I also found that Beebe's account of how he discovered and named the shadows is online:
    http://www.typeinsights.com/FreeArti...ctionmodel.pdf

Both sites do add some additional descriptions of the archetypes.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Found this page: Wellness Resources of Vermont that lists each of the 16 type's eight archetypes. But it is in form (same descriptions for each archetype, next to same descriptions of each function, only in their respective orders)

This is Hunziker's site. I see their book is also availble from Telos. Jungs Mental Processes: Building Blocks of Personality Type, 2006, Haas & Hunziker, Unite Publications I wonder if it goes into more detail of how each function in each position plays out.
    To get a look at each process in each position in detail, you'd have to go to the helluva-expensive conference that Beebe is having on the topic.

I dunno, though. I think I'm going to start telling myself that it's better if I can figure out how each process looks in each postion on my own, and how I'll even *get it* better if I figure it out for myself.

Senior Mugwump Array Apollanaut's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    To get a look at each process in each position in detail, you'd have to go to the helluva-expensive conference that Beebe is having on the topic.

I dunno, though. I think I'm going to start telling myself that it's better if I can figure out how each process looks in each postion on my own, and how I'll even *get it* better if I figure it out for myself.
    Check out this link:

Symbol Thinking: Mapping Jungian Archetypes on Cognitive Processes

The website owner kindly provides a summary of Beebe's four-day workshop explaining what each process looks like in each position (8x8=64 possible combinations). I have looked at my own (INFJ) function/archetypes in this light and found some truths here.

For example, I do tend to use my fifth "oppositional" Ne function to punch holes in other people's proposals or ideas. This is a trait I have known about for some time and try to keep under control, as it can be very discouraging for others.

As for my 8th "Demonic" function (Si): I speculated several years ago that this function could cause me to "forget" things at inconvenient times (such as when I introduced my mother to my new boss and forgot her name!). So it was quite fascinating to read the same suggestion here.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Those are very good. Thanks! I had been doing searches and never came across this one.

Some of them are rather vague.
    (Witch/Senex Fe: "come to my house so I can eat you" (Hansel&Gretel) [-how is that Fe?]
    Father/Mother Fi: hearing secrets, "I wish you had told me sooner" [-how is that really Feeling?]).

Especially if you are not familiar with the movies many of them were taken from, and the contexts they were spoken in.

What I wish someone would do in this vein; particularly for the shadows, is to list:

-what generally triggers them in us (e.g. certain stressful situations that, for instance, make you become stubborn and argumentative, triggering opposing personality).

-how others' use of them affect us (e.g. someone else using your opposing personality feels like an attack to you, as I have heard people describe)

-how they affect us/make us feel when we ourselves use/experience them (e.g. your example of Si)

-How we use them on others (e.g. your examples of Ne; this is what Berens' descriptions focus on)
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

raised from perdition Array EJCC's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Check out this link:

Symbol Thinking: Mapping Jungian Archetypes on Cognitive Processes

The website owner kindly provides a summary of Beebe's four-day workshop explaining what each process looks like in each position (8x8=64 possible combinations). I have looked at my own (INFJ) function/archetypes in this light and found some truths here.

For example, I do tend to use my fifth "oppositional" Ne function to punch holes in other people's proposals or ideas. This is a trait I have known about for some time and try to keep under control, as it can be very discouraging for others.

As for my 8th "Demonic" function (Si): I speculated several years ago that this function could cause me to "forget" things at inconvenient times (such as when I introduced my mother to my new boss and forgot her name!). So it was quite fascinating to read the same suggestion here.
    That link is kind of amazing. A lot of the phrases were too vague for me to understand, but one of them (the witch/senex for Ne) really struck me: "I accept it, but please shut up!" That's exactly how I react when I lose an argument. To the T. It blew my mind.

Oh, and I also have Si, and I was also struck by the "demonic" function - not by the forgetting things part (even though that's true ), but by the "hallucinations" part. I'll THINK I forgot someone's name (even if I didn't), and I'll get really uncertain about it, even when I've known them for a long time, thinking that I just imagined that that was their name. That may sound kind of weird, but there you go.

EDIT: I also punch holes in people's ideas... People often call me a bubble-burster...
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Senior Mugwump Array Apollanaut's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    That link is kind of amazing. A lot of the phrases were too vague for me to understand, but one of them (the witch/senex for Ne) really struck me: "I accept it, but please shut up!" That's exactly how I react when I lose an argument. To the T. It blew my mind.

Oh, and I also have Si, and I was also struck by the "demonic" function - not by the forgetting things part (even though that's true ), but by the "hallucinations" part. I'll THINK I forgot someone's name (even if I didn't), and I'll get really uncertain about it, even when I've known them for a long time, thinking that I just imagined that that was their name. That may sound kind of weird, but there you go.

EDIT: I also punch holes in people's ideas... People often call me a bubble-burster...

The description of my Trickster Te is also very accurate (misguidance in organizing things more efficiently). I can easily get lost within a system when trying to organise my life. For example, I have tried out (and abandoned) numerous time management systems over the years. What tends to happen is this:

1. I get very excited by the new system, which will save me so much time that my life will be forever improved.
    2. I start to try it out for a few activities.
    2. I tell all my friends about it.
    4. I use it for more and more things.
    5. I start tinkering with the system and spend a great deal of time drawing up charts and designing spreadsheets.
    6. I start using it for EVERYTHING.
    7. I wake up and realise that I have wasted so much time on the new system that I have fallen way behind with all my work!
    8. I descend into a mad panic as I run around in circles desperately trying to catch up.
    9. I abandon the system forever.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I KIND of have that problem, but since my Te connects with J, I'll tend to stick with my methods if they work. I don't trust new systems. But I have that same issue in that I'll be suspicious of the new method even if it works better than the one I'm using. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it's definitely part of that whole SJ dislike of change...
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

• Dominant - Fe (kneejerk)
    • Auxiliary - Ni (my first two functions stick tightly together)
    • Tertiary - Se (I only seem to use this when cleaning...)
    • Inferior - Ti (engaged in play only or when under strain)
    • Opposing - Fi (when I attempt to isolate burnt-out Fe)
    • Critical Parent - Ne (why can't you be more like your ENFP sister?)
    • Deceiving - Si (less weak than my watery Se)
    • Demon - Te (never touched, though I believe it does show up as an inner Draco when I'm out of balance)

Primary
    1. + Leading, - Domineering - Fe is pretty much a handful
    2. + Supportive, - Overprotective - Ni, motherly or stepping on toes
    3. + Relief, - Unsettling - Se, I use for resolving external chaos
    4. + Aspirational, - Projective - Ti, gets ganged up on and stripped of objectivity by other failing functions

Shadows
    5. + Backup, - Opposing - Fi helps me to absorb details
    6. + Discovery, - Critical - my Ne is my daring fun true love
    7. + Comedic, - Deceiving - Si? Really?
    8. + Transformative, - Devilish - Te, yikes.... I have so little control over it
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I KIND of have that problem, but since my Te connects with J, I'll tend to stick with my methods if they work. I don't trust new systems. But I have that same issue in that I'll be suspicious of the new method even if it works better than the one I'm using. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it's definitely part of that whole SJ dislike of change...
    You should see my face when a label gets changed on something I buy.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    • Dominant - Fe (kneejerk)
    • Auxiliary - Ni (my first two functions stick tightly together)
    • Tertiary - Se (I only seem to use this when cleaning...)
    • Inferior - Ti (engaged in play only or when under strain)
    • Opposing - Fi (when I attempt to isolate burnt-out Fe)
    • Critical Parent - Ne (why can't you be more like your ENFP sister?)
    • Deceiving - Si (less weak than my watery Se)
    • Demon - Te (never touched, though I believe it does show up as an inner Draco when I'm out of balance)

Primary
    1. + Leading, - Domineering - Fe is pretty much a handful
    2. + Supportive, - Overprotective - Ni, motherly or stepping on toes
    3. + Relief, - Unsettling - Se, I use for resolving external chaos
    4. + Aspirational, - Projective - Ti, gets ganged up on and stripped of objectivity by other failing functions

Shadows
    5. + Backup, - Opposing - Fi helps me to absorb details
    6. + Discovery, - Critical - my Ne is my daring fun true love
    7. + Comedic, - Deceiving - Si? Really?
    8. + Transformative, - Devilish - Te, yikes.... I have so little control over it
    Jeez, how do you know all this??? I feel like such a n00b. I obviously know about the first 4, but how do you find out the other ones?
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?