User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Eh? Thats the first time I've heard anything like that. Do you have a website or something where I can find out more?
    Which part? The "tabla rasa" or clean slate is from Myers-Brigg's book, "Gifts Differing". The statistic that I claimed is a simple division of the 16 types (100/16=6.25).

MBTI
    INFP

The tabula rasa theory has been around longer than the MBTI and has been called into serious question. Rightly so, I believe.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    The tabula rasa theory has been around longer than the MBTI and has been called into serious question. Rightly so, I believe.
    I have no doubt that there are serious questions, no different than free will/predestination. Since there is no evidence that we are genetically inclined to a particular type, questions can and should be raised on both theories. Regardless there remains no facts to support type rarity, and how the statistics add up should be equally questioned.

MBTI
    ESTJ

I thought it has been shown that personality factors such as introversion/extraversion do indeed have a genetic component. I've never believed in tabula rasa.... what an ancient idea.

MBTI
    TiSe

Sure, but are you not referring to introversion/extroversion? There is a difference and Jung purposely spelled his differently to refer to how we take in energy. Besides E/I only shows the attitude of a function (S/N, T/F), no more. And the J/P is merely a redundance of the extraversion of S/N or T/F.

There are easy and quick tests like this one. But I think the average person is ambiverted. Now its easy to argue the chicken/egg scenario of am I an introverted extravert, or an extraverted introvert. Its one of those things that MBTI missed in creating their inventory since I have always been ambiverted.
    You have both introvert and extrovert tendencies. While you may be a wallflower at an event where you don't know anybody, you could be the life of the party at events where you are comfortable with those surrounding you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

As I have been mentioning elsewhere, there are a few factors that are blended which can create this "introvert/extrovert" mix effect. Not only I/E, but cooperative/pragmatic also helps shape how fast you approach others (Like ISFP's active streak, because of the SP, despite the IF), and both Informing/Directing and Structure/Motive are forms of people/task focus, with people-focus being a kind of "extroversion" as well.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I just got his newest book "Brains and Careers" and he seems to think that Guardians make up 50% of the population, Artisans make up 40% of the population, Rationals only make up 5% of the population, and Idealists only make up 5% of the population.

What do you guys think about this?
    I feel like I know a lot more than 10% iNtuitives. (More like 25%)
    I handed out a survey to a large random sample of students at my college and there was a 75/25 S/N ratio.

If this is true, I don't mean to sound all emo, that would really make clear why there are so few people in the world I can actually relate to...
    Perhaps the distribution is different at a college compared to the census population?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Well, in my experience, N's seem to find each other. My "main" group of friends at my university is all N's except for maybe one person (and this is out of a good 15+ people). Of course the ratios of S to N among my friends wouldn't be representative of, say, the whole student population of my college--because we probably ended up befriending each other in part because of that small similarity.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the general population was only 10% N.
    MBTI: ENFJ | Enneagram: 4w5

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ? View Post
    Since there is no evidence that we are genetically inclined to a particular type, questions can and should be raised on both theories.
    There is a lot of evidence for this. Not that MBTI has done a lot of twin studies AFAIK, but there are some in the overall picture and every trait has a genetic component. This is true in the large picture as well, and will apply to any personality theory (ie: big five, original studies referenced).

--

I believe Kiersey's numbers come from a very early MBTI study and is not representative of the population.