User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ENFX Hypocrisy

MBTI
    ERTP

Default ENFX Hypocrisy

This is a thread akin to the one about INXJ and close-mindedness. The base question for this thread would be something like:

Do ENFXs commonly have problems with sincerity and/ or hypocrisy?

The premise for the question being that an EN will have an easy time tuning into what people want while the F will accommodate. Being more recognizable in ENFPs I have yet to experience an ENFJ who wasn't "strategically insincere" (i.e. a hypocrite to some degree) and the scary thing is that the ENFJ is all the more Machiavellian.

Let's turn to some examples:

ENFP

From Bluewing’s post on "types gone bad":

-Strive to convince people of their sincerity because this is the only way they could feel good about themselves.
    In my experience the type needn't go bad at all to do this, it's just second nature.

Or take the following New York Times quote on a supposed ENFP:

"He means exactly what he says and tomorrow when he says the opposite he'll mean exactly that too."

Which, again, has been exercised by every single ENFP I've known. Valuing accommodation and the present situation over "distant" principles they just don't perceive the insincerity and hypocrisy that invariably follows.

ENFJ

Again, the ENFJ has no introverted anchor to keeps its opinions still.

Isabelle Myers on the ENFJ:

"Apparently the urge to harmonize extends even to intellectual opinions. A very charming ENFJ who has been interested in type since her high-school days to me earnestly, "So-and-so asked me what I thought of type, and I didn't know what to tell her, because I didn't know how she felt about it." (Gifts Differing p. 95)

Or from Personalitypage:

"…Which is not to say that the ENFJ does not have opinions. ENFJs have definite values and opinions which they're able to express clearly and succinctly. These beliefs will be expressed as long as they're not too personal. ENFJ is in many ways expressive and open, but is more focused on being responsive and supportive of others. When faced with a conflict between a strongly-held value and serving another person's need, they are highly likely to value the other person's needs."

General Assessment

The things described thus far point mostly to insincerity. But how does that become hypocrisy?

- Most notably by the ENFX agreeing to one thing in one social setting and then saying the opposite two hours later. While this can be insanely charming in smaller matters this approach constitutes a prime example of hypocoristic when applied to matters of morale.

On a deeper psychological level, ENFX hypocrisy can be explained by the fact that ENFXs usually wallow in Fundamental Attribution Error ( Fundamental attribution error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Being Extroverts they are more likely to explain their own actions by their environment, yet they attribute the actions of others to 'innate characteristics', thus leading towards judging others while justifying ones' own actions. In other words, another prime example of hypocrisy.

MBTI. Psychology. Humor. History:

[url=http://www.postmodernmind.com]Postmodern Mind

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I really like my ENFP friend... maybe too much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I guess I don't consider what you are describing here insincerity and/or hypocrisy. They are just getting caught up in the moment and saying what comes to mind, syncing with the spirit of the environment. If you stay with them over a period of time and give them enough neutral settings, you will find what they believe and what they believe is normally what they do act upon.

To me, insincerity involves an intent to deceive, especially to advance oneself, and hypocrisy involves saying you believe one thing, but consistently acting in a way that contradicts that, especially when there are no addictions involved.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFJ

I will purposely hide parts of myself if I'm not sure how it will be received, and to be honest, I'm very, very good at lying... No pun intended.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I will purposely hide parts of myself if I'm not sure how it will be received.
    Is this the same as letting people believe what they want to about what you think when what you think really isn't any of their business?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would say that sometimes they can be hypocritical, especially if they aren't grounded well enough to evaluate what they actually believe. But then a lot of people can. It doesn't necessarily make them bad, they just can't see that they're doing it, or they can't help it. It only looks hypocritical if you assume that people are supposed to hold constant beliefs that don't change based on the situation. Does this make any sense?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Is this the same as letting people believe what they want to about what you think when what you think really isn't any of their business?
    Pretty much.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ERTP

They are just getting caught up in the moment and saying what comes to mind, syncing with the spirit of the environment.
    ...And not realizing the ramifications of their behavior. Agreed.

To me, insincerity involves an intent to deceive, especially to advance oneself, and hypocrisy involves saying you believe one thing, but consistently acting in a way that contradicts that, especially when there are no addictions involved.
    Maybe I haven't found the optimal words for the behavior. Insincirity and hypocrisy implies that these types harbour worse intentions than they actually do (more unfair to the ENFP than the ENFJ) but hypocrisy is often a subconcious endevaur, actually, more often than not it is a subconcious process.

It only looks hypocritical if you assume that people are supposed to hold constant beliefs that don't change based on the situation.
    Shouldn't oppinions be based on insights rather than situations? Mob justice is a good example of the former.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Pretty much.
    Only children and fools say everything they think.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ERTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Only children and fools say everything they think.

There's a difference between not saying what you think and saying the opposite of what you think/ or being overly susceptible to the feelings of fleeting moments.

Mob justice is a good example of the former.
    What I mean by mob justice is that the mob will act upon the sentiments present in any given situation. In the most dramatic of examples, they will lynch someone, only to wake up and find out that they didn't really mean to take things that far. A hyperbole example, I know.

Conversely, I could also supply a real life example:

I once worked with an ENFX producing a television show. Our editor had aired some intentions of censorship regarding our show and its content, should it be too radical. Not having signed anything, I knew that their intellectual copyright still pertained to us, the authors, and I made this ENFP promise me that we wouldn't let ourselves be censored.

Then one morning my ENFX partner calls me a says that the editor has just stated editing out a certain joke. Realizing that the editor has no right to do so without our approval I rush to the television station and prepare to browbeat the editor, only to find out that my ENFX partner had given the clear, caving into accomodation-pressure from the editor.

To be fair, the censored part wasn't particularly good though. But that is another story.