User Tag List

123 Last

Default J/P and the Dominant Function

J (Judging) means prefer having things done, making a decision. P (Perceiving) means prefer leaving options open, delaying decision making as late as possible.

So I suppose a J will have their decision making function as their dominant function, while P will have their information-gathering function as their dominant function.

This is applicable to Extroverts. But why things are opposite for Introverts?

Thanks.

deleted

Simply put, so that a J will have more similarities with the other Js, and that a P will have more similarities with other Ps.

Function usage is likely the principal actuator of a personality type. Because INTJ and ENTJ make decisions similarly, both having Te and Ni theoretically speaking, they are placed more common in preference, which is N T and J.

If one where to extrovert himself, an INTJ would likely become an ENTJ, less likely an ENTP. An ENTP would have a whole new order to their functions and have the perceiving lifestyle. INTJs and ENTPs get along pretty well as far as I'm concerned, likely because we are mirrors of each other in many ways. These aren't exactly commonalities in lifestyle or thought process, rather these are incitements. A better example would be ISTJ and ESTP. One is a legalist, one a realist.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    J (Judging) means prefer having things done, making a decision. P (Perceiving) means prefer leaving options open, delaying decision making as late as possible.

So I suppose a J will have their decision making function as their dominant function, while P will have their information-gathering function as their dominant function.

This is applicable to Extroverts. But why things are opposite for Introverts?

Thanks.
    This is actually the case in socionics. In terms of MBTI, J/P indicates which function is extroverted, or which function you use with the external world, while E/I will indicate which function is dominant, introverted or extroverted.

For example, as a perceiver, my perceiving function is extroverted. It's the function I employ outside of myself. However, because I am introverted my dominant function is introverted, in this case thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This is actually the case in socionics. In terms of MBTI, J/P indicates which function is extroverted, or which function you use with the external world, while E/I will indicate which function is dominant, introverted or extroverted.

For example, as a perceiver, my perceiving function is extroverted. It's the function I employ outside of myself. However, because I am introverted my dominant function is introverted, in this case thinking.
    Following this logic, so, if I'm a P, and I'm sure my perceiving function is N, so I'll have Ne, and it's my auxiliary function. Then, if I'm an I, then my dominant function, say T or F, is introverted -> Ti / Fi. And either Ti or Fi will be my dominant function. Am I right?

Cute. That's different with socionics. I'm confused, totally.

Thanks anyway.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yep that's the case. Haha. Don't try to cross them over, you'll just go crosseyed.

deleted

Following this logic, so, if I'm a P, and I'm sure my perceiving function is N, so I'll have Ne, and it's my auxiliary function. Then, if I'm an I, then my dominant function, say T or F, is introverted -> Ti / Fi. And either Ti or Fi will be my dominant function. Am I right?

Cute. That's different with socionics. I'm confused, totally.

Thanks anyway.
    And it doesn't matter if your N is stronger than your T/F. You can still have primary Ti or Fi. Just in case you were thinking that.

Infact if you are an INXP your function order can be Ne > Ti = Fi. I have also seen Ne = Ti = Fi, and Ti = Fi > Ne is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Yep that's the case. Haha. Don't try to cross them over, you'll just go crosseyed.
    (Finally some real explanation with understanding! Thanks!)

I'm trying to learn both. So I hope I won't mix them up.

Question: So how will a person having an introverted decision-making function as the dominant function and an extroverted information-gathering function as the auxiliary function look like?

Put it in this way - saying a function is extroverted does not mean it is more detectable, vice versa. It only indicates the direction of flow. While the dominant function is a detectable one, regardless of its direction of flow of attendance. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    And it doesn't matter if your N is stronger than your T/F. You can still have primary Ti or Fi. Just in case you were thinking that.

Infact if you are an INXP your function order can be Ne > Ti = Fi. I have also seen Ne = Ti = Fi, and Ti = Fi > Ne is normal.
    But - wait. Doesn't a function being stronger means it's the dominant one? If it's not, then why bother arranging them in orders in type descriptions? Or am I mixing things up again?

deleted

But - wait. Doesn't a function being stronger means it's the dominant one? If it's not, then why bother arranging them in orders in type descriptions? Or am I mixing things up again?
    No you're not. If a function is dominant it will likely fit the profile, but it doesn't have to. For instance both INTP and ENTP have Ti and Ne. One function can be dominant but there is not necessarily a fit personality type. Ne dominant with Ti means it will usually turn out ENTP, but there are plenty of Ne dominant INTPs around.

You should test your functions here and it will give you a four letter type result.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

An easy solution is this: Follow what lemons said. Take the processes test and the MBTI test, find out your type. Find the one that describes you best. The processes are fine and dandy, but don't let them change your type on you. It's just nice to know what all you have developed.

My suggestion is to never, ever go to socionics. I think it's the biggest load of crap on personality I've ever read.

Look at my cognitive functions in my sig. Doesn't look like a typical INFP, right? Well I still am an INFP. It's a great way of personalization.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)