• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

J/P and the Dominant Function

Kuro

J (Judging) means prefer having things done, making a decision. P (Perceiving) means prefer leaving options open, delaying decision making as late as possible.

So I suppose a J will have their decision making function as their dominant function, while P will have their information-gathering function as their dominant function.

This is applicable to Extroverts. But why things are opposite for Introverts?

Thanks.

deleted
Simply put, so that a J will have more similarities with the other Js, and that a P will have more similarities with other Ps.

Function usage is likely the principal actuator of a personality type. Because INTJ and ENTJ make decisions similarly, both having Te and Ni theoretically speaking, they are placed more common in preference, which is N T and J.

If one where to extrovert himself, an INTJ would likely become an ENTJ, less likely an ENTP. An ENTP would have a whole new order to their functions and have the perceiving lifestyle. INTJs and ENTPs get along pretty well as far as I'm concerned, likely because we are mirrors of each other in many ways. These aren't exactly commonalities in lifestyle or thought process, rather these are incitements. A better example would be ISTJ and ESTP. One is a legalist, one a realist.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
J (Judging) means prefer having things done, making a decision. P (Perceiving) means prefer leaving options open, delaying decision making as late as possible.

So I suppose a J will have their decision making function as their dominant function, while P will have their information-gathering function as their dominant function.

This is applicable to Extroverts. But why things are opposite for Introverts?

Thanks.

This is actually the case in socionics. In terms of MBTI, J/P indicates which function is extroverted, or which function you use with the external world, while E/I will indicate which function is dominant, introverted or extroverted.

For example, as a perceiver, my perceiving function is extroverted. It's the function I employ outside of myself. However, because I am introverted my dominant function is introverted, in this case thinking.

Kuro

This is actually the case in socionics. In terms of MBTI, J/P indicates which function is extroverted, or which function you use with the external world, while E/I will indicate which function is dominant, introverted or extroverted.

For example, as a perceiver, my perceiving function is extroverted. It's the function I employ outside of myself. However, because I am introverted my dominant function is introverted, in this case thinking.

Following this logic, so, if I'm a P, and I'm sure my perceiving function is N, so I'll have Ne, and it's my auxiliary function. Then, if I'm an I, then my dominant function, say T or F, is introverted -> Ti / Fi. And either Ti or Fi will be my dominant function. Am I right?

Cute. That's different with socionics. I'm confused, totally.

Thanks anyway.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yep that's the case. Haha. Don't try to cross them over, you'll just go crosseyed.

deleted
Following this logic, so, if I'm a P, and I'm sure my perceiving function is N, so I'll have Ne, and it's my auxiliary function. Then, if I'm an I, then my dominant function, say T or F, is introverted -> Ti / Fi. And either Ti or Fi will be my dominant function. Am I right?

Cute. That's different with socionics. I'm confused, totally.

Thanks anyway.

And it doesn't matter if your N is stronger than your T/F. You can still have primary Ti or Fi. Just in case you were thinking that.

Infact if you are an INXP your function order can be Ne > Ti = Fi. I have also seen Ne = Ti = Fi, and Ti = Fi > Ne is normal.

Kuro

Yep that's the case. Haha. Don't try to cross them over, you'll just go crosseyed.

(Finally some real explanation with understanding! Thanks!)

I'm trying to learn both. So I hope I won't mix them up.

Question: So how will a person having an introverted decision-making function as the dominant function and an extroverted information-gathering function as the auxiliary function look like?

Put it in this way - saying a function is extroverted does not mean it is more detectable, vice versa. It only indicates the direction of flow. While the dominant function is a detectable one, regardless of its direction of flow of attendance. Am I right?

Kuro

And it doesn't matter if your N is stronger than your T/F. You can still have primary Ti or Fi. Just in case you were thinking that.

Infact if you are an INXP your function order can be Ne > Ti = Fi. I have also seen Ne = Ti = Fi, and Ti = Fi > Ne is normal.

But - wait. Doesn't a function being stronger means it's the dominant one? If it's not, then why bother arranging them in orders in type descriptions? Or am I mixing things up again?

deleted
But - wait. Doesn't a function being stronger means it's the dominant one? If it's not, then why bother arranging them in orders in type descriptions? Or am I mixing things up again?

No you're not. If a function is dominant it will likely fit the profile, but it doesn't have to. For instance both INTP and ENTP have Ti and Ne. One function can be dominant but there is not necessarily a fit personality type. Ne dominant with Ti means it will usually turn out ENTP, but there are plenty of Ne dominant INTPs around.

You should test your functions here and it will give you a four letter type result.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An easy solution is this: Follow what lemons said. Take the processes test and the MBTI test, find out your type. Find the one that describes you best. The processes are fine and dandy, but don't let them change your type on you. It's just nice to know what all you have developed.

My suggestion is to never, ever go to socionics. I think it's the biggest load of crap on personality I've ever read.

Look at my cognitive functions in my sig. Doesn't look like a typical INFP, right? Well I still am an INFP. It's a great way of personalization.

deleted
Look at my cognitive functions in my sig. Doesn't look like a typical INFP, right? Well I still am an INFP. It's a great way of personalization.

The first perceiving function and the first judging function will usually determine the type, and they can be interchanged.

Similar situation to BlackCat, someone I know is an INFP with primary Ne.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
The first perceiving function and the first judging function will usually determine the type, and they can be interchanged.

Good point. Your top two cognitive functions can go a long way to determining your type. And if you're trying to look at the types based on cognitive function orders, look at the top 2 types for each one and determine which top two in the MBTI typing best correlates to you.

deleted
Good point. Your top two cognitive functions can go a long way to determining your type. And if you're trying to look at the types based on cognitive function orders, look at the top 2 types for each one and determine which top two in the MBTI typing best correlates to you.

More than that, be certain of your top two, and take the possibility that you could be either introverted or extroverted. A simple preference will cinch, and if you are an introvert, the extroverted function can still be dominant, visa versa. More than likely your dominant function will fit the profile.

Fun avatar.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Although I disagree with Socionics, it still has some useful insights. But don't get too hung up on it. They have a different definition of J/P also, and that can cause confusion.

Anyway, it's not really about strength of function, but how you use em. If your Ne is stronger than your Ti, but you use Ti in a leading role, than your still an INTP.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I have the game box lying right in front of my nose.

Haha that's good, I rented the game for PS3 a month ago. I'd really like to buy it for myself, but it's expensive and I have to save my money up.

deleted
Haha that's good, I rented the game for PS3 a month ago. I'd really like to buy it for myself, but it's expensive and I have to save my money up.

Can you run it on PC? It requires 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM and 128MB video RAM.

Kuro

Thanks you guys, especially lemon. (Please someone tell me it's OK to omit "thanks" "please" here. I'm tired of this. But well, I don't know whether it will sound bad or not for a n00b to talk like that.)

I open this thread to know more about the system, so I don't expect to type myself here. But the result of that site is really really funny. And it seems that off-topic is acceptable here so I'm going to cross the line as I always do in other forums...

extraverted Sensing (Se) (20.4) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) (38.7) excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (35.7) good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) (21) limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) (29.1) average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) (41.7) excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) (12.6) unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) (41.4) excellent use

It suggests INTP, ENTP and INFP.

It looks really weird for an INXP like me. Si, excellent use? Can it be?

OK, to make things not too off-topic, question:

If I have a result like this in hand, to type this person, are there more than what functions s/he is good at when I consider his/her type? What is the first thing I should go for?

And, from the discussion above - there aren't anything do with the dominant function with your type, it's just the top two that you should use to rule out some impossible options?

Thanks, really.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kuro- Just from reading how you post and such you sound like an INFP. Don't sweat it dude. My Ti, Si, Ni, Se, and Te are developed. But all that really matters is what's up there at the top, which is your Fi, Ne, Ti, and Si. I would suggest reading the INTP and INFP profiles and deciding which is best, but I really do think you are an INFP.

Here are two pages to compare the two if you wish. There are links all over them that will tell you more about yourself.

INFP (Dreamer) Personality Type - Jungian For INFP

INTP (Engineer) Personality Type - Jungian For INTP.

Good luck. I just know you're an F though. ;)