User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default RAMBLY METAPOST

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    No. Only people in real life can change my opinion of a type.
    But I am a bit better in figuring out somebody's temperament with only writing. I can make my final "judgement" only after I met them and even after that the type I figured out can be very very very wrong. But I'm not too bothered if I'm wrong because I'm not perfect in any way.
    Yeah. I've not needed the forum to realize that people are different aside from just saying people are different. Really believing that they are seems to preclude typing to me. Typing may enhance it, but it doesn't encapsulate anything. Actually, the forum has made me more extreme in this view.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The interesting people do not follow a pattern.
    Least of all their own pattern.
    They are their own people.

You never become your shadow.
    Wisdom is to perceive it is there.
    Most definitely. This is why I'm not really understanding the point of the thread. Did people really need to trade a few jokes on a forum or PMs to figure out "Wow, I guess XXXX can't all be that bad!"

I'm noticing that most people are responding that they had a more negative view that turned positive and not the other way around. I guess I'll be honest and say I'm beginning to have more negative views of certain types that I didn't have before. Some people's willingness to ascribe unsavory behaviors to something as silly as MBTI type makes me wonder how willing they are to do the same thing when it comes to other groups of people.

But then again I think to myself, is this really surprising? I've been told so often that I was the person who made people rethink their ideas of their preconceived notions of "what I'm supposed to be like" that I just don't know what to make of comments like that anymore. It's like admitting you had a narrow-minded or limited exposure to a group of people (which is good! you're seeking to correct it) and it only took a handful of people to turn that around. But then my next thought is if it only took a handful of people for you to form that negative perception and just as many to change it, maybe people should just lay off making the evaluations based on such flimsy criteria. It seems like a ball getting tossed back and forth. I guess it comes down to exposure.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP

I've gotten insight into how Es operate, and have realized that they prioritize their friends like Is do...they just seem to have more friends to pay attention to. ;-) I've also gotten a better feel for the F/T divide.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Yes.
    I used to think all INTPs were pathologically manipulative sociopaths,
    but I have since discovered that some of them are not.
    I've heard you say this before, and I still don't get it. I mean, sociopaths, sure. But I'd never have said INTPs were a particularly manipulative type. It takes energy and giving a crap, not to mention noticing the vast majority of people, to manipulate. Are you sure the people you knew before were INTP?
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I've heard you say this before, and I still don't get it. I mean, sociopaths, sure. But I'd never have said INTPs were a particularly manipulative type. It takes energy and giving a crap, not to mention noticing the vast majority of people, to manipulate. Are you sure the people you knew before were INTP?
    Yes.
    Well, let's just say that to me it FELT LIKE manipulation.
    Maybe another type would define it as something else.

I was trying to pay a compliment to the INTPs.
    Very few of them are that bad... just a small minority.
    Like I said, I used to think they were all that way... and actually only males, not females.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^^ haha...sociopaths sure but...manipulative??
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Yes.
    Well, let's just say that to me it FELT LIKE manipulation.
    Maybe another type would define it as something else.

I was trying to pay a compliment to the INTPs.
    Very few of them are that bad... just a small minority.
    Like I said, I used to think they were all that way... and actually only males, not females.
    INTPs might try and be manipulative, but they'd be woefully bad at it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I've never really thought of myself as manipulative either. I'm much too passive to get away with it I would think. I don't think it's something I've ever done, or had I attempted, been successful doing.

But the sociopath thing, I can see.

garbage

I've learned a lot about different types of people and learned to further appreciate them.

I've also learned that it's actually possible for people knowledgeable of MBTI to miss its entire point, but I'm glad that that's not the majority.

MBTI
    ENFP

I've discovered that I really like INTJs. I'd probably annoy the crap out of one IRL, but it seems to work online.
    "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." Frederick Douglass

MBTI
    xxxx

Participation on this forum has lowered my opinion of NT types actually. The dismissive attitude towards S and F types has been disappointing.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Participation on this forum has lowered my opinion of NT types actually. The dismissive attitude towards S and F types has been disappointing.
    Mmm. Absolutely. Sensor-bias -particularly- is something I can't abide. We are all just people, with mildly differing preferences