User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from/find that INXJs tend to suffer from closed-minded certitude?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an INTJ and I believe that I have never really suffered from it

    15 13.64%
  • I am an INTJ and I believe that I used to suffer from it, but have overcome it

    14 12.73%
  • I am an INTJ and I believe that I suffer from it, but I am working to overcome it

    20 18.18%
  • I am an INFJ and I believe that I have never really suffered from it

    12 10.91%
  • I am an INFJ and I believe that I used to suffer from it, but have overcome it

    6 5.45%
  • I am an INFJ and I believe that I suffer from it, but I am working to overcome it

    11 10.00%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that practically all INTJs suffer from it

    17 15.45%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that 50% of INTJs or more suffer from it

    8 7.27%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that fewer than 50% of INTJs suffer from it

    7 6.36%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that this is not really a problem area for INTJs

    3 2.73%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that practically all INFJs suffer from it

    10 9.09%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that 50% of INFJs or more suffer from it

    9 8.18%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that fewer than 50% of INFJs suffer from it

    8 7.27%
  • I am not an INXJ and I find that this is not really a problem area for INFJs

    8 7.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 103

  1. #21
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Psst, Jen, just hinting at a reality check budges an INXJ not an inch.
    Also, I would only accept a post where I claimed, in no uncertain terms, that I think that I'm always right to refute my claim that I don't think that I'm always right.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  2. #22
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    I haven't voted because I don't view INTJ's as having close minded certitude. I would describe them as having open minded certitude. INTJ's are very willing to listen to another's viewpoint and to receive correction. It's just that they seem deceptively sure about their all of their ideas regardless of what they are.


    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My daughter is so funny because she will make some assertion without thinking much about it as if it is Absolute Truth, then I will tell her that she is wrong and why. If I'm undeniably right, she will say "Exactly!"

    It's like watching a cat commit some ungraceful act, then immediately begin bathing itself. "I meant to do that!"
    I have a similar experience with an INTJ friend of mine. Whenever you point out a flaw in his argument he retorts, "That's what I'm saying!" He says that even if it's obviously the exact opposite of what he's been saying.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #23
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Twice now I have posted the following regarding what I find is the most common, vexing and self-destructive problem area for INTJs (and possibly INFJs?), namely closed-minded certitude:





    Tell me about it..

    Watch Cyberflauner in this thread..at least look at posts 25 and 30...30 especially..



    The Relationship between Language and Culture: Philosophy Forums

    and in this thread..after I thoroughly answered all of his hostile criticisms..look at the way he responds..Some sophism..and then 'if you now are admitting that you're wrong..then good' this is in the very end..

    Schopenhauer?: Philosophy Forums
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    This thread seems mostly aimed at INTJs (I voted that way too), because I have not seen this behavior from INFJs. Or perhaps they hide it better.

  5. #25
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    This thread seems mostly aimed at INTJs (I voted that way too), because I have not seen this behavior from INFJs. Or perhaps they hide it better.
    INFJs have this trait towards their personal values and can come off as terribly self-righteous people for that reason.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  6. #26
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    INFJs have this trait towards their personal values and can come off as terribly self-righteous people for that reason.
    They (seem) far more willing to understand another's point of view. Even if they don't agree with it.

  7. #27
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    When it comes to ideas yes (Ni-Ti), though when their character is in question--not so much..they wouldnt be any more willing to understand how the other person feels than the INTJ would about ideas..I am thinking that the Fe is as analogous to the INFJ as the Te to the INTJ.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  8. #28
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Tell me about it..

    Watch Cyberflauner in this thread..at least look at posts 25 and 30...30 especially..



    The Relationship between Language and Culture: Philosophy Forums

    and in this thread..after I thoroughly answered all of his hostile criticisms..look at the way he responds..Some sophism..and then 'if you now are admitting that you're wrong..then good' this is in the very end..

    Schopenhauer?: Philosophy Forums
    How do you know that he's an INTJ?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  9. #29
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    So what exactly is Ni then? I often hear it explained as being able to view a scenario from multiple perspectives. That would seem to be the opposite of what you describe here, and yet it is the primary function of both INTJs and INFJs. I am getting so confused.
    I don't blame you. I'm fuzzy on the functions too. But clear definitions are for the INTPs to work out, right? J/K.

    The following descriptions of Ni from the Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki really resonate with me:

    Introverted Intuitions are not really ideas. They're like trains at the edge of articulated knowledge. You can't claim them or advocate them. You put on a hat, grab hold of a boxcar door, and see where they go.
    Ni is a way of knowing (or at least thinking you know) that bypasses reason, facts, evidence, the expected or intended interpretations of signs, or anything you can point to, simply giving you an awareness or belief that seems indisputably true to you, period. You can't tell by introspection how you got this idea. There is no thought process. There is only tuning into this form of awareness and just knowing.
    I'm personally coming to terms with my half-brilliant half-retarded :rolleyes2: Ni by distancing myself from the insights ("trains") I get. My friend Blackwater has suggested that when I get an inspirational insight, then instead of claiming it as My Truth, I should renounce ownership of it and just put it out there for us both to examine. That way, if the insight turns out to be one of the off-base ones, I don't lose face when the flaws sooner or later become apparent (and if it was brilliant, I still get credit ).

    I also have no way to answer the original poll. The potential for irony is dizzying. I do find myself exploring a somewhat devil's advocate position in relationship to whomever I am discussing to be certain all sides are viewed. My entire mind is also in a deep state of flux in which there is virtually nothing I am certain of. I wrestle to approach politics, religion, philosophy, etc. because I view most sides simultaneously. It's very difficult to reach a decision unless it is in something in which I have been viewing every side for a long time, then when opportunity arises, I settle on the best plan, shut my eyes, and leap. I actually wish I could have more certainty. I'm getting rather tired of this endless expanse of grey. But am I certain of not being certain?
    FWIW, toonia, I'll buy that you don't really suffer from CC. I know I've mentally filed you under the heading of "mature poster". (However, this has been known to happen to people simply for agreeing with me so it might not be worth that much. )

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Also, I would only accept a post where I claimed, in no uncertain terms, that I think that I'm always right to refute my claim that I don't think that I'm always right.
    Jen, I eat my words. Apparently his pulse did go up.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I haven't voted because I don't view INTJ's as having close minded certitude. I would describe them as having open minded certitude. INTJ's are very willing to listen to another's viewpoint and to receive correction. It's just that they seem deceptively sure about their all of their ideas regardless of what they are.

    I have a similar experience with an INTJ friend of mine. Whenever you point out a flaw in his argument he retorts, "That's what I'm saying!" He says that even if it's obviously the exact opposite of what he's been saying.
    This is what Langrenus described and what I call the keeping-up-appearances variant of CC (see post #17). If it doesn't annoy you (or if the other INTJs you know don't do this), then I suggest you vote for the "not really a problem area for INTJs" option (or the <50&#37; option).

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Tell me about it..

    Watch Cyberflauner in this thread..at least look at posts 25 and 30...30 especially..
    He's an INTJ all right. I wish I could wrap my mind around the content of your dispute, though, so I could judge for myself just how wrong he is.

    I only skimmed the threads, but it occurred to me that what I would have done in your place is to pick the single worst contradiction you thought he made and then put it on display with devastating clarity. If you give an INXJ (/INTJ) with CC and on the defensive anything with which to distort or distract the discussion from the beef you have with them, then they'll never concede their error (or retreat, which on an internet board is good enough).

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    They (seem) far more willing to understand another's point of view. Even if they don't agree with it.
    INFJs are much more diplomatic about it, but I believe they can still suffer from closed-minded certitude - i.e. they'll think they're right, but they won't insist on it if doing so runs contrary to making nice. At least with an INTJ you know where you stand.

  10. #30
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Also, I would only accept a post where I claimed, in no uncertain terms, that I think that I'm always right to refute my claim that I don't think that I'm always right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Jen, I eat my words. Apparently his pulse did go up.
    omg I had to read that sentence three times before I could even understand what Mycroft was saying... (He truly has a dizzying intellect.)

    I don't want to keep poking him and seeing him mirror that scene of Ash (in "Alien") spinning around and puking white bile everywhere right before his head pops off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    INFJs are much more diplomatic about it, but I believe they can still suffer from closed-minded certitude - i.e. they'll think they're right, but they won't insist on it if doing so runs contrary to making nice. At least with an INTJ you know where you stand.
    True. INFJs tend to be extremely discrete. They might have the same internal reaction, but are usually very concerned about playing nice and acting in a relationally appropriate way, so as not to hurt anyone unnecessarily. Inside though, they will still have the same sharp opinions and sometimes stress because they don't allow themselves to release it. INTJs focus on the ideas and assume the other person will just have to deal... if they see it as worth their while to engage at all, in terms of it interfering in their own plans.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] Fellow SJs: do people see you as "closed-minded"?
    By EJCC in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM
  2. [NT] Who's more close-minded: NTJs or NTPS?
    By Zarathustra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 10-26-2014, 01:53 AM
  3. [NT] Who's more close-minded: INTJs or ENTJs?
    By Zarathustra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 01:07 PM
  4. Who's more close-minded: me or you?
    By VagrantFarce in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 08:55 PM
  5. [NT] Who's more close-minded: INTPs or ENTPs?
    By Zarathustra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO