User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default using shadow patterns to determine type

it occurred to me recently that someone could determine their type fairly easily with just a basic understanding of the dichotomy patterns by comparing how their behavior changes when they are in a happy, emotionally healthy state vs. unhappy, depressed, and generally emotionally unhealthy.

that is to say, if you follow the pattern your behavior follows when transitioning between the two states, one could determine their type, no?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Just like I was discussing in the Ti con Fi thread, people thought I preferred Fi, and it does seem to be strong, but realizing it was more negative, while Ti was more positive, suggested Ti was what's really "ego-compatible" ("primary" four), and Fi more ego-dystonic ("shadow" or other four). So yes, in that sense, the shadows can help determine your type.

Even in determining I/E (the least drastic of the dichotomies), it seems like Ne is strongest, and thus dominant, but that would make Se, 8th place and "destructive". But it doesn't seem that way, but rather fits the 7th, "deceiving/comedic" better. Te fits Opposing (5th) better also. So this led me to see my last CP results as accurate, with Ne as technically strongest, but still in an auxiliary role.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    So yes, in that sense, the shadows can help determine your type.
    im aware that types (even shadows) correspond to a CP order, but it's irrelevant.

for example, it could be as simple as asking whether someone tends to move towards extroverted traits when they are in an emotionally unhealthy state or towards introverted traits.

the reason this is useful is because despite the fact that everyone will have a soft value somewhere on the spectrum, they should theoretically correspond to a set type and CP order which is not as flexible as determining where within the spectrum someone would fall. it is often subjective at what point someone should be considered introverted and extroverted, so by simply mapping which direction they move to positive/healthy <=> negative/unhealthy behavior, the initial value which previously only existed as a relative value to other people can be determined as long as the concept of shadow types is legitimate. i just use I/E as an example, this could be applied to any of the dichotomies.

beyondaurora

I have been looking into this a lot lately. I think it should be used in conjunction with conventional typing methods to validate results or bring other options to light.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

What are shadow patterns?

Glycerine

Hmm, for you it would be SeFiTeNi (your last 4).

MBTI
    I

Shadow functions occurs when someone is unhappy... or stressed?

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    What are shadow patterns?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Shadow functions occurs when someone is unhappy... or stressed?
    supposedly, when someone is in an unhealthy emotional state they take on a negative form of their opposite type.

considering this, what i am saying is that by charting whether someone seems to take on more I/E, S/N, T/F, or J/P qualities when in this state we could isolate the inaccuracy of typing that is a result of relative values.

that is, if person A is more introverted than person B, they both may incorrectly conclude that A is an introvert and B is an extrovert because all they have to consider is how they compare to each other. according to the idea of shadow functions, if person A become more introverted when in an unhealthy emotional state that would suggest they are actually an extrovert and that the person was typed incorrectly originally.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

In my experience... usually a person under stress will display inappropriate use of their shadow functions. This is primarily the 6th (according to the cognitive ordering of best developed vs weakest functions which I don't believe in).

To explain the ordering
    ISTP: Ti (1) Se (2) Ni (3) Fe (4) Te (5) Si (6) Ne (7) Fi (8)

So according to this ordering, a stressed out ISTP will tend to sit and brood over their problems. (Si) They get trapped in the past... either they things they've done wrong or should have done but didn't do.

Just a check grayscale, does that sound fair? I'm extrapolating from INFJ's experience with their 6th (Fi)...

Sort of like the chinese saying... the fox always show its tail... It's a good way of typing even for well developed individuals.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    istp

absolutely... i tend to brood and replay things in my head over and over to analyze where i went wrong.

admittedly what i said originally was just a thought, your approach could also be plausible for the same reasons... wouldn't that narrow it down to 2 types (F/T) do you have any ideas for a similar method to narrow that down?