• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish INTJ and INFJ

maerzhase

Why did you not like your body changing?

Who knows. May be I did not want to grow up. There was no advertising in former East Germany. So I would rule out over exposure to stereotype ideals as usually named as a cause for eating disorders in the west.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Lol, this is as good a time as any to say that I think there are two styles of INFJs and attendant 'looks' - the serious ones (yes, rather librarian looking) and the quirky, arty ones (decidedly not).

Two types of INTJ as well.

MBTI Type
INxJ
INFJs have sad faces.

INTJs have stern faces.

lol

People think I'm mad or irritated all the time. I think my face is generally blank. So, when people annoy me with garbage like that, I do get annoyed. Self fulfilling...

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I read they're the type most likely to have an eating disorder. INTJs second. Not sure why.

Purely anecdotal: The people I've known of both types (and genders), are really preoccupied with their appearance. Not clothing etc. Just the body. Mine manifests in trying to be healthy (pescetarian, raw foodist that works out 5 times a week). Most would label me a health nut, going way beyond what is necessary. No. I'm not a bleeding heart hippie. I could care less about animal rights.

Is that a combination of Ni and inferior Se?

I agree with INFJ for that one, but neither me nor the INTJs I know particularly care about how they look and tend not to be in touch with their physical manifestation and ignore it beyond the basic necessary upkeep (which can be tiresome in itself).

MBTI Type
INxJ
I agree with INFJ for that one, but neither me nor the INTJs I know particularly care about how they look and tend not to be in touch with their physical manifestation and ignore it beyond the basic necessary upkeep (which can be tiresome in itself).

I know two other textbook definition INTJs, male and female. They both keep their bodies very fit. I think the difference here, is maybe in Socionics. I read either INTp or INTj are very avid exercisers and healthy eaters, for state of mind or something.

Keeping the body healthy, helps the mind work as effectively as possible. In essence, it's a rather necessary evil. The body and mind are a whole entity. Not separate. If one is off kilter, the whole thing goes. (Mental illness, or physiological disease) Big picture is important in this case.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I know two other textbook definition INTJs, male and female. They both keep their bodies very fit. I think the difference here, is maybe in Socionics. I read either INTp or INTj are very avid exercisers and healthy eaters, for state of mind or something.

Keeping the body healthy, helps the mind work as effectively as possible. In essence, it's a rather necessary evil. The body and mind are a whole entity. Not separate. If one is off kilter, the whole thing goes. (Mental illness, or physiological disease) Big picture is important in this case.

Absolutely spot on. The whole can never be more than the sum of the parts, however impressive the part. As it were.:newwink:

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Distinguishing between INTJ and INFJ...I know several INFJ's, and only one for-certain INTJ. The INTJ I know is rather immature, so perhaps isn't the best example. Or on the other hand is perhaps a great example! He'll be much more apt to talk without caring/thinking about how his ideas might be received by others. Myself and the INFJ's I know - we're much more careful in how and when we choose to communicate our thoughts and ideas, and it is dependent on the audience at hand (which would be the Fe).

This is my experience with INTJ acquaintances, too. Not that they're unfiltered, but just that once they get started on a topic, they're so focused on following their train of thought that they don't pick up on other people's cues. The INTJs I know will sometimes keep talking long after their audience's interest has waned. INFJs seem to be much more attuned to how they're being perceived by others and will act accordingly, which sometimes means not expressing our thoughts. I think that's the reason there's a general perception that INFJs are so secretive. It's not always that I don't want to share (okay, sometimes it is), but often I won't if I don't get the sense that the other person is truly interested. In some sense, INTJs can sometimes be too uninhibited while INFJs are too inhibited. That's something, I guess?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol, this is as good a time as any to say that I think there are two styles of INFJs and attendant 'looks' - the serious ones (yes, rather librarian looking) and the quirky, arty ones (decidedly not).
Yes, the librarian INFJ is Socionics Fi subtype and the quirky INFJ is Socionics Ne subtype. The former often dresses plainly and seems strict and disciplined. The latter dresses fashionably, is more outgoing and seems a bit absentminded.

maerzhase

INFJs seem to be much more attuned to how they're being perceived by others and will act accordingly, which sometimes means not expressing our thoughts. I think that's the reason there's a general perception that INFJs are so secretive. It's not always that I don't want to share (okay, sometimes it is), but often I won't if I don't get the sense that the other person is truly interested. In some sense, INTJs can sometimes be too uninhibited while INFJs are too inhibited. That's something, I guess?

This goes for me as well. The other problem is you may offend them with your thoughts. So I tend to keep a lot to myself to avoid being crucified.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

MBTI Type
INxJ
In my experience, INTJs are pretty "secretive" also.

Yes, but the motivations might be different.

INTJs are typical compartmentalizing personalities. Everything has it's own box. Product of excessive Te. They also want to maintain a sense of their own identity and be autonomous as well. They're so into themselves, it doesn't dawn on them to share.

INFJs on the other hand, are aware of other people. They seem like they genuinely just don't want to divulge their inner world. Whereas INTJs, never even think to, unless prompted.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
In my experience, INTJs are pretty "secretive" also.

That's true. The uninhibited INTJ factor really only applies in reference to one-on-one or small group conversations in my experience, so I guess it's not as helpful in distinguishing between the types overall. Neither type is really going to put it all out there when talking to people. I think it's just a general sense that INTJs sometimes can't not follow a thought through to its completion, often aloud and at the expense of social propriety (in which INFJs might be more invested).

ETA: Or perhaps not even propriety, but more that INFJs are more focused on the feelings and reactions of others than their own thought processes, even though INTJs and INFJs approach things similarly.

MBTI Type
INxJ
That's true. The uninhibited INTJ factor really only applies in reference to one-on-one or small group conversations in my experience, so I guess it's not as helpful in distinguishing between the types overall. Neither type is really going to put it all out there when talking to people. I think it's just a general sense that INTJs sometimes can't not follow a thought through to its completion, often aloud and at the expense of social propriety (in which INFJs might be more invested).

This sounds like a branch off of Enneagram, and instinctual variants. The prattling on and on, isn't typical for the majority of INTJs. We are usually direct and to the point. Efficiency is our motto.

See below:

Also can you help me sort this out. I am in science so stumble across a fair number of INTJs.

They seem to come in two or maybe three flavors.

1. The excessively pedantic ones-to the point of almost being OCD like. They will talk, and talk, and talk at you in a lecture like fashion as if they have to dump everything out of thier brain. Most folks can't handle one on one for very long as there is no escape route. I totally fall into ENFP mode, flake out, giggle and wonder out of the room in the middle of the conversation. They are really INTJ like otherwise.

2. The silent, broody type-I do love these folks as these ones are so full of intense, yet silent passion and opinion. The set such large hurdles for themselves and are the ultimate, non stop strivers. On the surface they have been descirbed as ice princesses.

3. I have seen one or two much more assertive dominant INTJs. Not sure if this is a subtype of two with more testosterone or what.

Explanation:

I've seen all of those characteristics in INTJs, but I wouldn't state they're broody. That's a bit more emotive than the majority, since Te is the function INTJs use to deal with the outside world. What you're describing seems to be the instinctual variants of Enneagram 5 (possibly 8 for type 3). You're very observant to pick up all the nuances in INTJ behavior.

Type 1: Self Preservation
Type 2: Intimate/Sexual
Type 3: Social

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
This sounds like a branch off of Enneagram, and instinctual variants. The prattling on and on, isn't typical for the majority of INTJs. We are usually direct and to the point. Efficiency is our motto.

Interesting! That's one problem with basing your observations on the few specimens of a type you happen to know. I can definitely see that, though.

Yeah, there's definitely the INFJ tug-of-war between our observations and thoughts (which can, for me at least, be coldly logical at times) and our feelings (need for acceptance, etc.) and concern for other people. Throw in that we're concerned with how best to uphold our ideals, whatever they are, and it's just a big mess.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Q: How would an INxJ person look like?

Are you asking what INJs generally look like as a single category, or are asking what an INJ with balanced Fe and Te would look like?

Qre:us

Both - I'm greedy!

More to sort out someone I personally know, who, for all intent and purposes, appear to be an INTJ, but, there are those *things* that feel a bit off.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but the motivations might be different.

INTJs are typical compartmentalizing personalities. Everything has it's own box. Product of excessive Te. They also want to maintain a sense of their own identity and be autonomous as well. They're so into themselves, it doesn't dawn on them to share.

Agree. Although a couple of INTJs I know seem secretive for other reasons, but that may have more to do with general insecurity rather than type.