• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish INTJ and INFJ

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Distinction? INTJ's are actually sane and reasonable people!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

WRONG!
both are Ni dominant - you want two cranks who will consider any idea game?
get these two in a room with some lasagna and halo, watch it fly

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I know what you're trying to say and I would only disagree based on the fact that there are several INTJ's here that are not mentally well (one perhaps mia). Any type can have mental issues which will throw things off when trying to type them which is why MBTI is an indicator.

When it comes to dealing with others, my husband will go further in life because I can be too pissy when I don't get my way. It's likely nothing to do with being any certain type, other than I am an only child and grew up spoiled by my grandparents. There are many things to consider when "typing" people.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Considering that INFJs are introverts whose extraverted function equates "success" with popularity, I'm surprised the lot of 'em isn't even more screwed up than they seem to be. (Particularly when you take into account that the best ideas an INXJ will come up with fly in the face of the status quo and require you to disregard the opinions of the vast majority of people if you intend upon seeing them to fruition.)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Considering that INFJs are introverts whose extraverted function equates "success" with popularity, I'm surprised the lot of 'em isn't even more screwed up than they seem to be. (Particularly when you take into account that the best ideas an INXJ will come up with fly in the face of the status quo and require you to disregard the opinions of the vast majority of people if you intend upon seeing them to fruition.)

This is indeed what makes an INFJ a peculiar type, the strangest of all no doubt.

It should be noted however that Introverted Intuition precedes Extroverted Feeling in the psyche of the INFJ. The two functions have a master-slave relationship, as this is the relationship all dominant functions have with regard to the lower faculties.

By itself, one may argue that Fe does tend to equate success with popularity, however the way the Fe of the INFJ works is very heavily influenced by Introverted Intuition. Introverted Intuition tends to be chiefly concerned with conjuring novel ideas, especially in relation to its external environment. (The external environment is relevant because Ni is a perceiving function and all perceiving functions tend to be concerned with their environment, as the environment is what is perceived. For this reason INJs are renowned as social critics and champions of moral or political views. Nietzsche, Sartre, Simon de Beauvoir and Ayn Rand are cases in point.) Extroverted Feeling, as aforementioned, is subordinated to Introverted Intuition. Hence, very often the INFJ manipulates the social conventions to the end of promoting their vision.

Hence, unlike an Fe dominant type, instead of behaving in accordance with the social conventions, the INFJ behaves in accordance to what he/she feels the social conventions should be like. It should be noted however that despite the fact that Introverted Intuition is superior to Extroverted Feeling in the psyche of the INFJ, Introverted Intuition by itself does not easily give one a clear perspective on life. That is the case because it merely leads to hunches and not coherent ideas. For this reason the INFJ reluctantly obeys social conventions as he or she cannot find a compelling reason to stand by their visions. In most cases however, the natural individualistic disposition of the INFJ prevails and he/she disregards the social convention in favor of following his or her vision. Because the INFJ sees no justifiable reason to behave in a way they did in that case, they experience inner conflict.

Ni is highly individualistic and idiosyncratic, Fe is conventional and collectivistic. Unless the INFJ has a highly cultivated Thinking faculty they cannot conclusively decide which way of behaving is appropriate. The one they have a hunch is appropriate (Ni way) or what they 'know' to be appropriate as a result of convention worshipping (Fe).

There is no doubt in my mind that this is the type most affected by inner turmoil.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hence, unlike an Fe dominant type, instead of behaving in accordance with the social conventions, the INFJ behaves in accordance to what he/she feels the social conventions should be like. It should be noted however that despite the fact that Introverted Intuition is superior to Extroverted Feeling in the psyche of the INFJ, Introverted Intuition by itself does not easily give one a clear perspective on life. That is the case because it merely leads to hunches and not coherent ideas. In most cases however, the natural individualistic disposition of the INFJ prevails and he/she disregards the social convention in favor of following his or her vision.
That is definitely my experience with one online. Seemed to make up her own social conventions ("serious" discussion on type only), project them on everyone else based on "hunches", and then judge me as having no Fe based on that. In order to be an INTP with even inferior Fe, I should have been able to "get cues" like she supposedly did. I was just starting to learn the cognitive processes, but now I can see that was Ni, not Fe being described. And she was disregarding the group conventions more than I was! I was starting to wonder if maybe NTJ was more accurate, but this would explain it.

maerzhase

My dad is an INTJ. The only thing that I notice is that we usually don't talk much for to long if we are together. I find it very odd since we are both using the same dominant function. We have completely different interest. He just could not be bothered about my ideas. To me he seems even more in his own world then I am. A telefoncall takes us around half a minute. We directly say what we want without chit chat. We tend to see the same problems arising and there seems to be some silent understanding so we don't have to exchange much talk on this.

MBTI Type
INxJ

I read they're the type most likely to have an eating disorder. INTJs second. Not sure why.

Purely anecdotal: The people I've known of both types (and genders), are really preoccupied with their appearance. Not clothing etc. Just the body. Mine manifests in trying to be healthy (pescetarian, raw foodist that works out 5 times a week). Most would label me a health nut, going way beyond what is necessary. No. I'm not a bleeding heart hippie. I could care less about animal rights.

Is that a combination of Ni and inferior Se?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I read they're the type most likely to have an eating disorder. INTJs second. Not sure why.

Purely anecdotal: The people I've known of both types (and genders), are really preoccupied with their appearance. Not clothing etc. Just the body. Mine manifests in trying to be healthy. Though, most would call me a health nut, going way beyond what is necessary. Is that inferior Se?

I think INXJ are just very controlled and disciplined as a means of feeling secure. As introverts their domain is their mind and body so they flex this control and discipline there.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is indeed what makes an INFJ a peculiar type, the strangest of all no doubt.

It should be noted however that Introverted Intuition precedes Extroverted Feeling in the psyche of the INFJ. The two functions have a master-slave relationship, as this is the relationship all dominant functions have with regard to the lower faculties.

By itself, one may argue that Fe does tend to equate success with popularity, however the way the Fe of the INFJ works is very heavily influenced by Introverted Intuition. Introverted Intuition tends to be chiefly concerned with conjuring novel ideas, especially in relation to its external environment. (The external environment is relevant because Ni is a perceiving function and all perceiving functions tend to be concerned with their environment, as the environment is what is perceived. For this reason INJs are renowned as social critics and champions of moral or political views. Nietzsche, Sartre, Simon de Beauvoir and Ayn Rand are cases in point.) Extroverted Feeling, as aforementioned, is subordinated to Introverted Intuition. Hence, very often the INFJ manipulates the social conventions to the end of promoting their vision.

Hence, unlike an Fe dominant type, instead of behaving in accordance with the social conventions, the INFJ behaves in accordance to what he/she feels the social conventions should be like. It should be noted however that despite the fact that Introverted Intuition is superior to Extroverted Feeling in the psyche of the INFJ, Introverted Intuition by itself does not easily give one a clear perspective on life. That is the case because it merely leads to hunches and not coherent ideas. For this reason the INFJ reluctantly obeys social conventions as he or she cannot find a compelling reason to stand by their visions. In most cases however, the natural individualistic disposition of the INFJ prevails and he/she disregards the social convention in favor of following his or her vision. Because the INFJ sees no justifiable reason to behave in a way they did in that case, they experience inner conflict.

Ni is highly individualistic and idiosyncratic, Fe is conventional and collectivistic. Unless the INFJ has a highly cultivated Thinking faculty they cannot conclusively decide which way of behaving is appropriate. The one they have a hunch is appropriate (Ni way) or what they 'know' to be appropriate as a result of convention worshipping (Fe).

There is no doubt in my mind that this is the type most affected by inner turmoil.

I think a lot of this is true.

And speaking for myself, I have experienced a lot of inner turmoil. It comes and goes, it is true, and I believe it is lessening over time. But I'd say it's been a significant aspect of my life.

Distinguishing between INTJ and INFJ...I know several INFJ's, and only one for-certain INTJ. The INTJ I know is rather immature, so perhaps isn't the best example. Or on the other hand is perhaps a great example! He'll be much more apt to talk without caring/thinking about how his ideas might be received by others. Myself and the INFJ's I know - we're much more careful in how and when we choose to communicate our thoughts and ideas, and it is dependent on the audience at hand (which would be the Fe).

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
solitarywalker said:

This seems to be pretty accurate (almost creepily so!) Thinking back to the source inner turmoil in my life, I realize that, indeed, it pretty much all stemmed from wanting to be an individual following my own path while needing to fit in with groups of people. I always thought that everyone had this at the source of frustration, though.

I can see myself in group situations observing the interactions between the people and then taking on aspects of those behaviors. Then, later, I would ask myself if that is really me. Do I want to be like this group? Most of the time I would say "no."

There have been a few occasions where I have assembled a group of friends and I made my way to be the "leader" of that group. I think I did this through heavy use of Fe. And, looking back, I realize that I was subtly influencing those groups to act like I wanted everyone to act. I did not know I was doing this until outside people pointed out that I seemed to be dictating the behavior of the group. Afterward, I felt guilty that I had so much control over my friends. Then...it felt good...like I was successful. (I have always defined success, not in terms of popularity, rather in terms of the healthy relationships one has with others) I did genuinely enjoy each of the individuals in that group, so it wasn't just me trying to exert power over others. And when that group of friends dissolved, I hit a period of powerful depression. I was back to finding new people and new groups.....trying to figure out how to fit in with others while being my own individual at the same time.

V

violaine

I can't speak for all INFJ. And I can't possibly cover every nuance and be succinct. I just eventually found a different road than popularity. I'm not even sure popularity is the correct word for it. As long as I can recall I felt somehow different. Which made me initially very self conscious but also led me to fixate on trying to understand people (initially to see if I was actually different). Until I reached a point of just accepting that feeling in myself, then identifying with it. I found a niche in my own eyes. Though that was preceded by a lot of turmoil while I was coming to terms with that.

I have definitely always felt a lot of internal conflict, though I don't show it outwardly. I'm sure this is part of the reason some INFJ may be prone to eating disorders. Specifically, wanting to bring order to chaos, wanting to exert control in order to feel sure and strong (it is akin to putting the brakes on). Wanting to endlessly better oneself dovetails with that too.

yeah, I was going to say INFJs look like librarians (who never look happy) and INTJs look like nazis (who never look nice).

Lol, this is as good a time as any to say that I think there are two styles of INFJs and attendant 'looks' - the serious ones (yes, rather librarian looking) and the quirky, arty ones (decidedly not).