• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How simlilar are INTP'S and INFP'S?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If at all...I'm asking because I feel like ENTP and ENFP are similar in a lot of ways but I rarely see people being confused about INTP/INFP. Is it because they are so different? Or is/was it hard for others to know for sure?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFPs keep apologizing for everything!

.lol

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you saying i'm an infp...i'm sorry for being presumptuous...i really do apologize...haha ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's just an nf thing i guess, right?

i guess they're quite different...but weird to me that they would be...so much more then enfp/entp.

Scott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9/5?
I've considered whether I might have some INTP/INFP ambiguity before, and I know there's at least an INXP or two over at intpc. My last gf was an INFP, and while we didn't look terribly similar on the surface, as we got to know each other better we discovered that we had a whole lot in common. We're basically the same except that she deals with ideals from values and I deal with ideals from ideas and reason. Which, if each side can understand where the other's coming from in that respect, works really well.

IME with others of these types, I haven't found that INTPs and INFPs are any further apart than ENTPs and ENFPs either, so maybe it's just the people on this board? (Or maybe it's just the people I know) Well, FWIW...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's the first time i've seen FWIW and knew what it meant because of context...off topic i know but i never knew what that meant until now...so thanks! haha

and...i do see similarities between entp and enfp but maybe it's the extraverted intuition thing...because maybe depending on our company we project the t or f whichever seems more fitting...i wonder.

and maybe introverts don't do that as much? i don't know...just thinking out loud.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think as far as working styles they can seem similar, they both use Ne to engage others and so sometimes there are similarities in vision and manner.

The Fi value basis can come off strong if you get INFPs to open up.

Or if they're developed Te, that's where they can seem "hard" -- they can show this sort of impersonal "work the issues" approach that doesn't seen very INFP at all until you discuss deeply with them the issues and then you see the Fi rationale driving things but it's being expressed in Te fashion rather than Ne per se.

INTPs easily fall into a detached assessment of a situation, if you ask them to explain their reasoning, and they seem less "protective" of their feelings than just indifferent to them altogether sometimes. They can also commonly say things like, "Yeah, maybe i feel that way, but what's that have to do with the truth of it?" There's a very clear distinct over what one feels or might seem convenient, versus what the "true assessment" is... or perhaps a complete lack of awareness or acknowledgement of one's personal feelings at all. Feelings are "objects" to be scrutinized rather than part of the individual.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
The weird thing is that I relate very well to INxPs, and sometimes feel like I have more developed F than some other INTPs. But I don't feel like I relate to INFPs all that much. There is a bit of a barrier there where I run up against the Fi, which I can appreciate from a distance, but then I don't know where to go from there. My sense of humor usually runs along the lines of, "If it's funny, it's not offensive"--I don't set out to hurt others' feelings, but I don't go overboard on being sensitive about it, either, and there are very few sacred cows for me in that regard. Also, INFP tend to be much more involved in "making a change," having a favorite political cause or whatnot, and I tend to be much more apathetic or cynical. I feel like I relate more to INTJs and then ENTPs, and then maybe INFPs.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting thanks for that.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I think that, in many ways, INTP's and INFP's *can* be very similar - especially in terms of behavior (as opposed to underlying motivation). Now there are clearly a lot of INTP/INFP's that don't really have any sort of indecision on which fits best... but I do tend to see a lot of self-described INxP/INfP/INtP folks around (and yeah, I know the sample size is pretty heavily skewed here). Part of it's probably also that a lot of people find it easy to identify with I, N, and P... and are sort of ambivalent about the F/T dichotomy.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Boring theory based answer: ENFP / ENTP have the same primary function, Ne. INFP / INTP have different primary functions, Fi vs. Ti.

So INFPs are all about the best values while INTPs are about discovering the best expression of ideas. We both are stuck in our heads though, so we share that in common.

Humor wise, INTPs tend to excel at dry humor. They can be a bit abrasive, but generally they don't mean any harm. Their humor is rarely personal, and I find that to be refreshing.

One of the biggest differences is that INTPs tend to be pretty disconnected to the people around them, and what social expectations they in turn need to follow, whereas INFPs are hyper sensitive to that sort of thing.

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
Boring theory based answer: ENFP / ENTP have the same primary function, Ne. INFP / INTP have different primary functions, Fi vs. Ti.

So INFPs are all about the best values while INTPs are about discovering the best expression of ideas. We both are stuck in our heads though, so we share that in common.

Humor wise, INTPs tend to excel at dry humor. They can be a bit abrasive, but generally they don't mean any harm. Their humor is rarely personal, and I find that to be refreshing.

One of the biggest differences is that INTPs tend to be pretty disconnected to the people around them, and what social expectations they in turn need to follow, whereas INFPs are hyper sensitive to that sort of thing.

^^ What he said.
Plus, as children, ENFPs and ENTPs are both ENPs before they begin to express their preference for 'F' or 'T'. (Whereas an INFP begins as an 'IFP' and an INTP as an 'ITP') Thus, an ENFP that has been raised understanding the value of logic and an ENTP that has been raised understanding the value of emotion can appear quite similar, no?
That whole 'primary function' thing.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
The negatives (sorry folks, I love INTPs and INFPs but the negatives are where you can see the overlap)

INTPs and INFPs can both be really bad at interpersonal communication and have a tendency to keep things in and then blow up at people. And also think they are being wronged but never explain fully why or at all or confront the person. They both have a tendency towards emotional navel gazing, tend to be more humble than confident, and get lost in thought and their own worlds.

Honestly, INXPs, actually three inTp's I know IRL have some of the most emotional outbursts, are some of the most emotionally unpredictable even volatile people that I know, and have the most falling outs with people. This is out of ALL the people I know IRL.

It's quite common to confuse or be unsure about the T/F difference in INXPs irl. Even after you get to know them fairly well.

Subtle differences:

Imagine you throw a bunch of INTPs in one room and INFPs in another room and let them go at it.

Room of INTPs - dismissive posturing and accusations of faulty logic, disgusted looks, pained sighs, possible staring contests

Room of INFPs - generalized hissing and spitting

Does that help?

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
And also think they are being wronged but never explain fully why or at all or confront the person. They both have a tendency towards emotional navel gazing, tend to be more humble than confident, and get lost in thought and their own worlds.

...An INTP? Really?
Not with any I've ever met - I'd say the opposite. In some cases, a quiet kind of arrogance even.

Frankly, I see very few similarities - but it's interesting to read your insights nonetheless :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sure the INTPs that CzeCze is referring to were all women, which pretty much explains the emotional outbursts! :D

*ducks and runs for cover*

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTP's and INFP's are very similar, but not as similar as ENTP and ENFP. Actually I'm not sure any pair is as similar as ENTP and ENFP (except maybe ESFP and ESTP). However both INxP types can appear pretty similar to people they interact with. You really see differences between the two once you get to know them.

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm sure the INTPs that CzeCze is referring to were all women, which pretty much explains the emotional outbursts! :D

LOL
I know I'm supposed to be against these kinds of statements but - eh. I generally agree with your theories so I'll waive that clause....just this once ;)

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
...An INTP? Really?
Not with any I've ever met - I'd say the opposite. In some cases, a quiet kind of arrogance even.

Frankly, I see very few similarities - but it's interesting to read your insights nonetheless :)

Confident modesty. We know we are smart enough to solve any intellectual challenge, and yet smart enough to realize that ultimately, we are not infallible.

And in my experience, it's not unjustified.

kekeke

Really though, I don't relate to these emotional outbursts described.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
...An INTP? Really?

Hahaha, that would be one heck of a difference, right?

'INFPs are humble and kind'

'INTPS are arrogant and bastardly'

:laugh:

Honestly, I do see what you're saying.

Thinking about it, I'll say all things being equal, an INTP is more likely to be arrogant or secure in their superiority in a field or specific area than an INFP. INFPs I know seem to have trouble taking credit where credit is due, whereas an INTP will at least take it graciously or as a matter of course.

However, honestly, I think both INXP can be prone to deep or chronic issues of confidence. The arrogance just masks weaker areas or doubts.

BTW - I'm not saying this is the default INXP portrait at all, just picking out the more extreme negative examples for contrasting purposes.

And Udog - HA HA HA. No. They are mix of male and female. And stop ducking. Hold still. No really. ;)