• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How simlilar are INTP'S and INFP'S?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well then how about Ni? Imagination is part of N right?

I never understood Ni. From what I get it's when you analyze something from a good amount of point of views to gain understanding. I don't typically do that, to gain understanding for myself I will try to gather as much information as possible and come to a quick and mostly accurate conclusion.

deleted
But doesn't everybody do this?

Or not?

Must ponder... Shall make thread on this in near future.

Anyone dreams I'm sure. I only see an excessive amount of natural craziness/imagination from the INXP.

I have imagination, but it is very involved and dependent.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I noticed an Ni comment. I think Ni is probably one of the more "alien" traits for most people who don't have it near the top. It is sometimes described as "prophetic" and "psychic". I have a few theories I have posted in my blog.

As an example, I sometimes just KNOW the answer (I do this at work a ton solving problems), but that means S$%* in the business world, so I have to use my Te to explain it with logic and reasoning. How I know the answer, sometimes I have NO idea but after I know it I can make a system of logic from experience to make it rational. This trait even made it into my last performance review for being "unbelievably intuitive", and the guy who wrote it is a sensor:p

INTJ's and INFJ's are (in)famous for this.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Any INTPs want to contribute with how they feel similar to INFPs?

Well, I don't really know a lot of INFPs IRL.

Anyway...

Similar humour, pointing out absurdities, some word play, um... stuff.

Hidden zaniness and desire to do something creative, unusual and attention-gathering, that when it comes out really surprises people.

Um... we're both introverts, and thus I don't feel a pressure to say something when talking to an INFP.

Both pretty laissez-faire.

imo and ime

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Is the MBTI an even hand?
In theory.
Not in the data.

You cut a bread in two parts.
How many cuts do you need?
One.

Where do you cut the bread?
In the middle.

A participarion is in the middle.
A unit is not.

The data is correct.
The agent of the cut is not the cut.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think INTP's are concerned about being competent and INFP's are not. I think INFP's don't have an urge to prove themselves to others. They are in a way quite happy with themselves with their own value system. :thinking:

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think INTP's are concerned about being competent and INFP's are not. I think INFP's don't have an urge to prove themselves to others. They are in a way quite happy with themselves with their own value system. :thinking:

hmmm, that's news to me.
I am aware of my own value system, but I'm more concerned with being perfect, I think I'm good, my values are good, blah blah, but not enough. Maybe it's just me.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I actually used to think I was an INFP, so yeah, they're similar enough to mix up. Both are quite shy, quiet and subtle in communication, and both are difficult to read or get to know. As mentioned, both are also fairly zany when they want to be, and have weird streaks in taste and behavior. Both can come off as cold and arrogant to people who don't know them well, and both have similar problems fitting into social scenes. They are both fairly non-confrontational and laid back. So there is a lot in common between the two.

I think, when manifested externally, the differences tend to include the following;

-INFPs don't make fun of people too much, even if the person in question is hilarious or ridiculous in some undeniable way. INTPs will have no qualms about making fun of people.

-INFPs will give you that "that's not right" look when you do something they consider bad, and then they won't tell you anything more about it. INTPs, OTOH, rarely disapprove, either in their minds or externally.

-INFPs become more sweet when you get to know them and talk to them, and they like you enough to be comfortable opening up around you...INTPs do not. In other words, you will never observe an INTP and have an "awww" reaction to their behavior, whereas with an INFP that is very possible.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
hmmm, that's news to me.
I am aware of my own value system, but I'm more concerned with being perfect, I think I'm good, my values are good, blah blah, but not enough. Maybe it's just me.

Can be either way.
I wrote just my own impression of the two types.
My impression can be very wrong. ;)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
For myself I feel a connection to the INTP, an almost similar experience, but then this sort of barrier of difference which shows me I'm not similar.

It's hard to explain in words. I feel more similar to the ENFP than the INTP, the barrier dosn't exist, just in terms of my energy levels not being equal.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-INFPs don't make fun of people too much, even if the person in question is hilarious or ridiculous in some undeniable way. INTPs will have no qualms about making fun of people.

I have definitely seen that. The feeling is expressed from a range of being politically correct or feeling that one is violating another person's essential humanity to the other end of being able to laugh about it but at the same time empathizing so much with the person that it also makes them want to cry. (And then we have the broad middle.)

I tend to see things in terms of attitude, with some caveats. Mostly attitude is what matters, and then context (or some combination thereof)... because frankly, life would stink if you could not step back and laugh at it, and the same things that make us feel bad are sometimes absurd or bizarre enough to be worth laughing at even when they hurt.

Or like when you read E.A. Robinson -- some of his poetry is scathing to the subjects with its dark humor, but it's also showing compassion or affection for them at the same time.

-INFPs will give you that "that's not right" look when you do something they consider bad, and then they won't tell you anything more about it. INTPs, OTOH, rarely disapprove, either in their minds or externally.

Right. Or if they do disapprove, it tends to be over an inconsistency in the big picture rather than because the action that is being taken has some sort of moral value assigned to it per se.

-INFPs become more sweet when you get to know them and talk to them, and they like you enough to be comfortable opening up around you...INTPs do not. In other words, you will never observe an INTP and have an "awww" reaction to their behavior, whereas with an INFP that is very possible.

What about those of us who are sweet already? ;)

(cue "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW")

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
As far as the emotional outbursts are concerned, when I was a bit younger, 15-18 around there, I was a bit...volatile. Not much in terms of sadness, but anger and controlling it was sometimes a problem. I'd stub my toe, or bump into something [a common occurrence actually] or if someone was acting completely ridiculous and illogical I would find it difficult to contain my disgust and rage.

Luckily I grew up a bit, but don't think an INTp isn't capable of exploding. Usually when they do, it's a mess because we don't know how to regulate or control an expression of emotion. So whether it's rage or sadness, the behavior may seem extreme for the situation. Unfortunately, and this includes myself, I think some INTps simply strengthen their ability to control and suppress these outbursts and feelings, instead of strengthen their ability to express their feelings. Which makes a situation less likely and less often, yet the potential is always still there.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about INFps to know whether we are that similar or not. I really don't know that many people on such a level to determine their types. I have trouble with my friends as it is. I think the distinction can be a bit difficult because a lot of the differences seem a bit internal, and how information is processed and judged.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They both get stuck in analysis paralysis.

I know people generally think of that as an INTP thing, but INFPs just do the Fi equivalent. Both get stuck in ruts from over-thinking things.

I believe both types are also prone to rejecting the real world for their own, imaginery world. I don't mean like INTJs, who think that their imaginary world applies to the real world :D. I mean, knowing that your world is imaginery, and withdrawing into it. Again, the content of the two worlds is presumably different between INTPs and INFPs, but it's another similarity I've seen.

EDIT: Oh yes, both have a conflict of being insecure/self-deprecating and simultaneously believing themselves to be exceptional.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Boring theory based answer: ENFP / ENTP have the same primary function, Ne. INFP / INTP have different primary functions, Fi vs. Ti.

So INFPs are all about the best values while INTPs are about discovering the best expression of ideas. We both are stuck in our heads though, so we share that in common.

Humor wise, INTPs tend to excel at dry humor. They can be a bit abrasive, but generally they don't mean any harm. Their humor is rarely personal, and I find that to be refreshing.

One of the biggest differences is that INTPs tend to be pretty disconnected to the people around them, and what social expectations they in turn need to follow, whereas INFPs are hyper sensitive to that sort of thing.

yeah exactly, that is pretty noticeable isn't it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually used to think I was an INFP, so yeah, they're similar enough to mix up. Both are quite shy, quiet and subtle in communication, and both are difficult to read or get to know. As mentioned, both are also fairly zany when they want to be, and have weird streaks in taste and behavior. Both can come off as cold and arrogant to people who don't know them well, and both have similar problems fitting into social scenes. They are both fairly non-confrontational and laid back. So there is a lot in common between the two.

I think, when manifested externally, the differences tend to include the following;

this last bit is funny...but not at all true ime intp's can be totally sweet.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far as the emotional outbursts are concerned, when I was a bit younger, 15-18 around there, I was a bit...volatile. Not much in terms of sadness, but anger and controlling it was sometimes a problem. I'd stub my toe, or bump into something [a common occurrence actually] or if someone was acting completely ridiculous and illogical I would find it difficult to contain my disgust and rage.

Luckily I grew up a bit, but don't think an INTp isn't capable of exploding. Usually when they do, it's a mess because we don't know how to regulate or control an expression of emotion. So whether it's rage or sadness, the behavior may seem extreme for the situation. Unfortunately, and this includes myself, I think some INTps simply strengthen their ability to control and suppress these outbursts and feelings, instead of strengthen their ability to express their feelings. Which makes a situation less likely and less often, yet the potential is always still there.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about INFps to know whether we are that similar or not. I really don't know that many people on such a level to determine their types. I have trouble with my friends as it is. I think the distinction can be a bit difficult because a lot of the differences seem a bit internal, and how information is processed and judged.

some interesting bits in there too, thanks for that. :)

MBTI Type
ENTP
If at all...I'm asking because I feel like ENTP and ENFP are similar in a lot of ways but I rarely see people being confused about INTP/INFP. Is it because they are so different? Or is/was it hard for others to know for sure?

I'm not sure NFs can understand mbti as well as NTs on average because, being an NF means focusing on perceived similarities among people rather than differences.

So I don't have a problem with telling them apart, but I'm not sure I can explain it to you because I don't come from the standpoint of wanting to empathize with everyone.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure NFs can understand mbti as well as NTs on average because, being an NF means focusing on perceived similarities among people rather than differences.

I can't say that is entirely true about me.

If someone thinks about it enough they can see the differences and the similarities in something. I do that. Just being able to see one side of something just seems a bit closed minded.