User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 79

  1. #61
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I'm not sure NFs can understand mbti as well as NTs on average because, being an NF means focusing on perceived similarities among people rather than differences.

    So I don't have a problem with telling them apart, but I'm not sure I can explain it to you because I don't come from the standpoint of wanting to empathize with everyone.
    interesting perspective...certainly for an extraverted nf
    i do do that for sure. but i can detach from something not personal and see it as it is though.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  2. #62
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I'm not sure NFs can understand mbti as well as NTs on average because, being an NF means focusing on perceived similarities among people rather than differences.
    This is untrue in my case, and probably untrue in many cases. As far as typing people, I think I can do it very accurately, at least compared to the amount of time I've been acquainted with personality theory. Whereas the NTs I know who are into MBTI aren't as good at this. I had 20 friends take the MBTI and answer as if they were me, i.e. what they believed my responses would be. Half were NTs and the most common response from them was IXTJ (a few ESTJ). Whereas my three NF friends chose responses that resulted in INFJ, eNFJ, and ISFJ, which are much closer to my actual type.

  3. #63
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Perhaps we should steer this one back on track before we get 20 pages of "NTs suck at MBTI" vs "NFs suck at MBTI."
    Something Witty

  4. #64
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Perhaps we should steer this one back on track before we get 20 pages of "NTs suck at MBTI" vs "NFs suck at MBTI."


    I find NT insight on MBTI compliments mine very well. There are certain areas where I'm prone to make bad judgements, and usually I can count on the INTPs here to steer me back on track.

  5. #65
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    INFPs seem a lot pushier than INTPs to me. I suppose they're both kind of goofy, imaginative and into the unusual... but INTPs tend to feel more neutral and comfortable, while INFPs tend to feel kind of intense and alarming. It doesn't always work this way, though.

    They're at least 50% similar, as they both have auxiliary Ne and tertiary Si. There's also the similarity that they both have dominant Introverted Judgment and inferior Extraverted Judgment. This would likely lead them to advocate individual reflection and to be somewhat distrustful of generally accepted rules and hierarchy.

  6. #66
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    INFPs seem a lot pushier than INTPs to me. I suppose they're both kind of goofy, imaginative and into the unusual... but INTPs tend to feel more neutral and comfortable, while INFPs tend to feel kind of intense and alarming. It doesn't always work this way, though.

    They're at least 50% similar, as they both have auxiliary Ne and tertiary Si. There's also the similarity that they both have dominant Introverted Judgment and inferior Extraverted Judgment. This would likely lead them to advocate individual reflection and to be somewhat distrustful of generally accepted rules and hierarchy.
    It is a little more complicated.
    INTP: Si > Fe
    INFP: Si > Te

    Inevitably a continuum has two poles.
    The even hand is found only in the middle.

    Your point is valid, though.
    No objection there.

  7. #67
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    INFPs seem a lot pushier than INTPs to me. I suppose they're both kind of goofy, imaginative and into the unusual... but INTPs tend to feel more neutral and comfortable, while INFPs tend to feel kind of intense and alarming. It doesn't always work this way, though.

    They're at least 50% similar, as they both have auxiliary Ne and tertiary Si. There's also the similarity that they both have dominant Introverted Judgment and inferior Extraverted Judgment. This would likely lead them to advocate individual reflection and to be somewhat distrustful of generally accepted rules and hierarchy.
    This is an interesting perspective. Is it safe to assume that you are sharing this from personal experience? I'd like to hear some specific ways in which the INFP is more pushy, intense, and alarming than the INTP (not that I doubt the veracity of what you're saying...I just like to have examples). If you don't mind, of course.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  8. #68
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    If at all...I'm asking because I feel like ENTP and ENFP are similar in a lot of ways but I rarely see people being confused about INTP/INFP. Is it because they are so different? Or is/was it hard for others to know for sure?
    That is because the ENFP and the ENTP share a dominant function. The INTP and the INFP have almost nothing in common because their dominant functions are antithetical to one another. (Note the Thinking/Feeling discrepancy)
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  9. #69
    Senior Member FantailedWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    That is because the ENFP and the ENTP share a dominant function. The INTP and the INFP have almost nothing in common because their dominant functions are antithetical to one another. (Note the Thinking/Feeling discrepancy)
    ^^ What I said but articulated much more concisely. Ha.

  10. #70
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    I'm keep trying to type out my thoughts on this thread, but none of my thoughts quite construct themselves properly at the moment.
    Good points though.
    I really don't think the differences are as great as people say. I test INXP, and you got to admit, I'm probably a very obvious INFP. I also test 5w4 on the ennagrame.
    I do share a great deal of the stereotypical behaviours of an INTP. Cold isn't the first thing that comes to people's mind when they meet me though, but deeply analytical, and somewhat detached, yes.
    Can you be warm, and detached at the same time?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. How To Differentiate INFJ's and INFP's?
    By Evastover in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2015, 07:14 PM
  2. [INTP] How common are INTP 9s?
    By Eugene Watson VIII in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 05:55 PM
  3. [NT] How are INTP and INTJ different
    By think2much in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM
  4. [MBTItm] How similar are INFP's and INTP's?
    By Into It in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM
  5. [INFP] INFPs how comforting are you (and bonus question)?
    By r0wo1 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO