User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INtP

I think that, in many ways, INTP's and INFP's *can* be very similar - especially in terms of behavior (as opposed to underlying motivation). Now there are clearly a lot of INTP/INFP's that don't really have any sort of indecision on which fits best... but I do tend to see a lot of self-described INxP/INfP/INtP folks around (and yeah, I know the sample size is pretty heavily skewed here). Part of it's probably also that a lot of people find it easy to identify with I, N, and P... and are sort of ambivalent about the F/T dichotomy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Boring theory based answer: ENFP / ENTP have the same primary function, Ne. INFP / INTP have different primary functions, Fi vs. Ti.

So INFPs are all about the best values while INTPs are about discovering the best expression of ideas. We both are stuck in our heads though, so we share that in common.

Humor wise, INTPs tend to excel at dry humor. They can be a bit abrasive, but generally they don't mean any harm. Their humor is rarely personal, and I find that to be refreshing.

One of the biggest differences is that INTPs tend to be pretty disconnected to the people around them, and what social expectations they in turn need to follow, whereas INFPs are hyper sensitive to that sort of thing.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Boring theory based answer: ENFP / ENTP have the same primary function, Ne. INFP / INTP have different primary functions, Fi vs. Ti.

So INFPs are all about the best values while INTPs are about discovering the best expression of ideas. We both are stuck in our heads though, so we share that in common.

Humor wise, INTPs tend to excel at dry humor. They can be a bit abrasive, but generally they don't mean any harm. Their humor is rarely personal, and I find that to be refreshing.

One of the biggest differences is that INTPs tend to be pretty disconnected to the people around them, and what social expectations they in turn need to follow, whereas INFPs are hyper sensitive to that sort of thing.
    ^^ What he said.
    Plus, as children, ENFPs and ENTPs are both ENPs before they begin to express their preference for 'F' or 'T'. (Whereas an INFP begins as an 'IFP' and an INTP as an 'ITP') Thus, an ENFP that has been raised understanding the value of logic and an ENTP that has been raised understanding the value of emotion can appear quite similar, no?
    That whole 'primary function' thing.

MBTI
    GONE

The negatives (sorry folks, I love INTPs and INFPs but the negatives are where you can see the overlap)

INTPs and INFPs can both be really bad at interpersonal communication and have a tendency to keep things in and then blow up at people. And also think they are being wronged but never explain fully why or at all or confront the person. They both have a tendency towards emotional navel gazing, tend to be more humble than confident, and get lost in thought and their own worlds.

Honestly, INXPs, actually three inTp's I know IRL have some of the most emotional outbursts, are some of the most emotionally unpredictable even volatile people that I know, and have the most falling outs with people. This is out of ALL the people I know IRL.

It's quite common to confuse or be unsure about the T/F difference in INXPs irl. Even after you get to know them fairly well.

Subtle differences:

Imagine you throw a bunch of INTPs in one room and INFPs in another room and let them go at it.

Room of INTPs - dismissive posturing and accusations of faulty logic, disgusted looks, pained sighs, possible staring contests

Room of INFPs - generalized hissing and spitting

Does that help?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    And also think they are being wronged but never explain fully why or at all or confront the person. They both have a tendency towards emotional navel gazing, tend to be more humble than confident, and get lost in thought and their own worlds.
    ...An INTP? Really?
    Not with any I've ever met - I'd say the opposite. In some cases, a quiet kind of arrogance even.

Frankly, I see very few similarities - but it's interesting to read your insights nonetheless

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I'm sure the INTPs that CzeCze is referring to were all women, which pretty much explains the emotional outbursts!

*ducks and runs for cover*

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

INTP's and INFP's are very similar, but not as similar as ENTP and ENFP. Actually I'm not sure any pair is as similar as ENTP and ENFP (except maybe ESFP and ESTP). However both INxP types can appear pretty similar to people they interact with. You really see differences between the two once you get to know them.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm sure the INTPs that CzeCze is referring to were all women, which pretty much explains the emotional outbursts!

LOL
    I know I'm supposed to be against these kinds of statements but - eh. I generally agree with your theories so I'll waive that clause....just this once

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by FantailedWall View Post
    ...An INTP? Really?
    Not with any I've ever met - I'd say the opposite. In some cases, a quiet kind of arrogance even.

Frankly, I see very few similarities - but it's interesting to read your insights nonetheless
    Confident modesty. We know we are smart enough to solve any intellectual challenge, and yet smart enough to realize that ultimately, we are not infallible.

And in my experience, it's not unjustified.

kekeke

Really though, I don't relate to these emotional outbursts described.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Confident modesty. We know we are smart enough to solve any intellectual challenge, and yet smart enough to realize that ultimately, we are not infallible.
    I did say 'in some cases' - I meant it could come across this way.
    Don't think I've ever had contact with an excessively humble INTP, as CzeCze seemed to be suggesting.