• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Much Sleep Do You Need?

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Somewhere from 0-16 hours, it all depends on my state of mind.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
It was great two months ago I could sleep 7 hours and now I'm down to 4hrs a day.
I want my sleep back.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I need about I think 7 to 9 hours a day of sleep though often it is broken like I'll wake up between 1 and 3 times a night and I hear that reduces sleep quality.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Of sleep I need none for soon enough tis all I shall do.
Of rest I get none, because there aint no rest for the wicked till we close our eyes for good.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Uninterrupted I can run on 6 hours. But I toss and turn a lot and have to wake up for the bathroom so I'll be in bed for like 11 hours without being refreshed.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm best betwee 5 & 7 hours of sleep.
I'd rather go with less than more if I had to choose 4 or 8. I used to go 4hrs a night for awhile, and it wasn't too pleasant sometimes, but I'd wake up and feel fine up until bedtime. 8 hours or more, I feel lethargic and want to sleep 14hrs..
Damn weird circadian rhythm..

This was about a decade ago (02/02/2009).

I’d say now, I need 8-12 hrs to feel ‘rested.’ I think that’s just due to my hip issues waking me in the night, though. That’s slowly improving, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with my sleep requirements/rhythms once this is resolved.

1mg melatonin supplements have been really helpful with reducing the number of times I’m woken up through the night, plus better pain management recently.

I can still operate just fine on 6hrs, still, but I’ll feel heavier through more of the day. Reduced pain tolerance, too.
Definitely can’t pull all-nighters like I used to, but that’s not particularly healthy, in the first place.

Lark

Is this not like one of those standardized things, everyone needs 8hrs at least kind of thing.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is this not like one of those standardized things, everyone needs 8hrs at least kind of thing.

That’s the rule of thumb, but studies show it’s relative to age & other factors:

How Much Sleep Do We Really Need? | National Sleep Foundation

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

no. Different things affect it... genetics, health conditions, life conditions, etc etc.

rav3n

On average, four to five hours, sometimes six. Anymore and I get the oversleep headache.

The only person that I know who's like this, is an ex. Apparently, there's an uncommon allele that allows people like us to function normally with less sleep.

The Cat

Staff member
On average, four to five hours, sometimes six. Anymore and I get the oversleep headache.

The only person that I know who's like this, is an ex. Apparently, there's an uncommon allele that allows people like us to function normally with less sleep.

That's really fascinating, I wonder if that explains my little need for sleep and still being able to function well, do you have any reccomended articles for further reasearch, or do you mind expounding yourself, I've no reason not to take your word for it. ^_^

rav3n

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on my work shift. I don't need a lot of sleep. I can go on 5h a day, as long as I get the full 5 hours. And its a morning shift. If I'm working nights, I need at least 7. Since my circadium rythmn is broken, I feel tired no matter how much I sleep. But if I don't sleep, my psychological state gets weird. My preferred shift is 12-8pm, since im a night owl. I like at least 8 hours of sleep, with no alarm for this shift.

I actually began waking up earlier this year.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I vary. Lately 8 hours can be okay. But in the past, I've need 10+. Depends on what I'm doing, how stressful it is, how I'm feeling, etc.

The Cat

Staff member
I have to wake up 3 hours before I go to sleep. Time travel is complicated.

Savegraduation

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am an ENFP.

I'll often spend 9 or 10 hours a day sleeping . . . at age 39. I have bipolar-like sleeping schedules: one night I'll be up all day and all night, full of creative energy. And then the next day, I'll fall asleep at 5:00 p.m. or so and sleep for 16 hours straight. Then I'm not so sleepy the next night.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I need to be somewhere the next day, I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep, because I want to be alert and refreshed. There have been times when I've gone on 5, 6, 7 hours of sleep and it doesn't affect me right away. But sleep debt builds up and it will catch up to me a few days later.