User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    I

Default Personality Change Over Time

My personality has changed significantly over time. I used to be a lot more extraverted just a couple of years ago, and I'd talk before thinking. I was an E. I used to also be more carefree, and go-with-the-flow and more experimental than I am now. I was a very clear P. I used to be more friendly, less confrontational, less hard-working, more creative, and more fun. Definitely more F than I am now. This was just 1 or 2 years ago. If you asked me back then, I would never have thought one's personality could just change like that. But it happened to me. I would say before, I was an ESxP.

I wanted to know if something like this is common, or have you heard of it? Or has it happened to you?

deleted

A good friend of mine went from a sad INFJ childhood to en extremely happy ENFJ adulthood!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    My personality has changed significantly over time. I used to be a lot more extraverted just a couple of years ago, and I'd talk before thinking. I was an E. I used to also be more carefree, and go-with-the-flow and more experimental than I am now. I was a very clear P. I used to be more friendly, less confrontational, less hard-working, more creative, and more fun. Definitely more F than I am now. This was just 1 or 2 years ago. If you asked me back then, I would never have thought one's personality could just change like that. But it happened to me. I would say before, I was an ESxP.

I wanted to know if something like this is common, or have you heard of it? Or has it happened to you?
    According to the science of the theory, your first function begins to develop @ age 6, the second @ age 12, the third @ age 25 and the fourth @ age 50.

As we are developing these functions, we are learning to prefer one over the other. One is becoming more comfortable, automatic and natural. This differentiation process is necessary for our psychological well-being. We have to have a preference or else we would be insane. According to what I've read, the only circumstance under which someone's type might change is if they suffer brain damage.

wow thechosenone thats a pretty major change in personality!

MBTI
    ISFJ

I used to be an ENFP myself.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    According to the science of the theory, your first function begins to develop @ age 6, the second @ age 12, the third @ age 25 and the fourth @ age 50.

As we are developing these functions, we are learning to prefer one over the other. One is becoming more comfortable, automatic and natural. This differentiation process is necessary for our psychological well-being. We have to have a preference or else we would be insane. According to what I've read, the only circumstance under which someone's type might change is if they suffer brain damage.
    That's interesting. By functions, you mean cognitive functions?

MBTI
    INTJ

Um, the Dominant, Auxiliary, Tertiary and Inferior as classified by MBTI,
    I haven't studied the cognitive functions in depth, so I don't know.

MBTI
    INFP

I think it is more a matter of development of potential that is happening. As a child I function, as I was trained - as an ESTJ.

But I was also very unhappy trying to fit that role.

If one is free to pursue their tendencies and discover the true self I think the true PT eventually emerges.

If you saw me in public you would be certain that I am an extrovert. But I continue to have my energy depleted in contact with others and know that indicates that I am an "I."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Um, the Dominant, Auxiliary, Tertiary and Inferior as classified by MBTI,
    I haven't studied the cognitive functions in depth, so I don't know.
    Yes, those are the cognitive functions (Ne,Ni,Se,Si,Te,Ti,Fe,Fi). The theory about when we develop preferences for the Tertiary and Inferior functions is just a theory, I've never seen any supporting data for the timing. It's possible that the preferences exist earlier or that some people never make it past the Dominant and Auxiliary functions.

That's not to say we can't use all the functions, we can. The type theory is about preferences or what comes most naturally, not the same thing. N's don't go through life without ever using the S functions, and the opposite is true. T's would have no subjective values if they never used any F functions, etc.

All that said, I don't think people change their preferences, but they may not have identified them correctly in the first place or may have still be developing the preference when they first tried to type themselves. That is one of the limitations of the MBTI tests, they require people to know themselves and answer how they are and not how they want to be. When people type themselves from 20 or 70 question online tests it just increases the likelihood of mistyping themselves. Even the professionally administered full in person tests are only about 75% accurate from the data I've seen.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I think, your type is determined by preferences. Which functions you prefer to use. This is related to, but not the same thing as the strength of your functions.

That said, I don't think a persons preferences are static. They can change over time or with a particularly big event. Especially if your close on any of the dichotomies it can be easy to change between one type or another.

As for specific ages of developing tertiary and inferior, I don't put much stock in that. An InTp, close on both N and P will likely have a somewhat developed Si, even before 25 or whatever.

But probably most people stay within the same type most of their life.