User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    This. I would gamble that the traits the MBTI tests are more dependant on the chemical make-up in your brain. Also, the MBTI is self-scoring, so its results are only as good as the information that being fed into it. If you're not being truthful (with yourself and/or the test), your results will be wrong.
    Yeah, but the thing is I'm basing the change, not off MBTI tests at all, since I didn't take any back then. I'm just basing it on what I feel and think like back then as opposed to now.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

personality, in an mbti sense, doesn't change over time

i hate this analogy but... think of the human cognition as a computer. the hardware (mbti) will never change but the software (events in ones life, maturity, different environments, different social groups, and now a computer term...different processes) will change through every stage of the computers (persons) life.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ESTJ

Don't feel bad using that analogy. Some Ts can be pretty robotic.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    personality, in an mbti sense, doesn't change over time

i hate this analogy but... think of the human cognition as a computer. the hardware (mbti) will never change but the software (events in ones life, maturity, different environments, different social groups, and now a computer term...different processes) will change through every stage of the computers (persons) life.
    So you are pro-"nature"?

MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    tert
    Socionics
    iary

Theoretically, its very possible to change type if the cognitive functions you use most changes due to life circumstances, but because Js and Ps have different sets of cognitive processes accessible to them as primary processes (Js have introverted ways of taking in information and extroverted means of processing that information; Ps have extroverted ways of taking in and introverted ways of processing), changing from a J to a P or vice versa would be extremely difficult and unlikely as it would require changing which set of cognitive processes is accessible to you in greater depth. My former high school teacher/mentor/friend is an ENFP, and she told me that she was an INFP when she was younger but that teaching and taking up acting had made her more extroverted.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    So you are pro-"nature"?
    im pro nature and pro nurture

i dont believe nurture changes the type tho

ive said this one hundred thousand times so pardon if youve already read this.

mbti does not equate behavior and external...stuff. its like looking at a 3d object in a mirror. the mirror image is 2d and is only showing part of the 3d image. this is the same with cognition and behavior (cognition being 3d and behavior being 2d). you may see the cognition through behavior but you will not see all of it. so there is something more to the cognition then the external things we see. this also means that the 2d image will only change as much as the 3d allows it. all this to say, i think you are born with your type (i cant prove it) and i think your type is in some way genetic (though there is a bit of material on this, i definitely cant prove it).

i think that even through external things that do effect our mind, our cognition will only flex with the changes. ill use myself as an example. right now i am slightly stressed. my identity was stolen and my credit is practically non-existent. when i get stressed i get quiet. stoic. and tend to get very focused. does this mean that i have gone from an extrovert to an introvert. and from a thinker to a feeler. and from a perceiver to a judger. of course not. i still think the same way. i still have a need to be around people. i still put this back on myself even though it isn't my fault and i am definitely still not a judger though im showing traits of a judger. to the outside world i may appear to be an INTJ (oddly enough my dads type, and this is where my nurture beliefs come in). this example can be expanded to x situation and over y amount of time.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    My ISTJ mom kept trying to raise me as an ISTJ and kept failing over and over, then taking out her failures on me, etc.

Unfortunately for her, I've been pretty clearly INFJ my whole life. And her 2nd child has always been clearly ENTP. And her husband has always been clearly INTP.

The more she tried to make me into her dream child, the less like her dream child I allowed myself to be. Very NF of me
    my father wanted and still wants me to be an ESTJ. he is clearly an ESTJ. and thanks to him i really don't like ESTJs. he is a annoying cvontrol freak. i will be a happy man the day i find my own home.

i think all SJ types want their children to be SJs. not just your mom and my ANNOYING dad.

he must be really disappointed that i turned out to be an ENTP.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's not the MBTI type... Some parents are just insane. My mom raised me to be an ENFP (since she is one) but I turned out INFP. I guess it was the mix of INTP-ENFP. *shrugs* My mom is still angry about my introversion, and she divorced my dad because he was too introverted.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Interestingly my son says that his personality has changed over time and that he too has gone from being extraverted to introverted. I laughed at his notion because I still see the extraversion in him. However both E/I can balance out over time as we gain more and more experiences that call for our opposite attitude. I became very extraverted after graduating from college and over the past 10 years have settled back into be more introverted. I figure at some point I will go through another decade of appearing extraverted. The question still remains that how are you when alone.
    Yeah, that sounds like me - a couple of years ago, I used to love hanging out with my friends and joking around. Now I'm very reluctant to hang out with those same friends, and rarely ever hang out with them, even though I have the same opportunity as I did before. When I'm alone, I feel my best.

MBTI
    I

It CAN change over time!