User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Somebody Please Explain Si?

I've been giving the MBTI to a lot of the people in my life, and I've discovered that two people I am close to are ISFJ. I read the description for it, and I still can't quite wrap my head around it.

Are there any ISFJs who could help me out with this? I really want to understand them better.
    INFJ
    4w5

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Which description did you read, the one based on ISxJs, or the real one (The more SP-oriented one)?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Which description did you read, the one based on ISxJs, or the real one (The more SP-oriented one)?
    This: ISFJ Profile
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cut from the site:

Introverted Sensing
    As for ISTJs, the dominant Si is oriented toward the world of forms, essences, generics. Again, "for both of the IS_J types, the sense of propriety comes from the clear definition of these internal forms. ... A 'proper' chair has four legs," etc. (Jung saw IS as something of an oxymoron: sensing, which is a perceiving function, focused inward and thus away from that which is perceived (the "object"). In this light, he described this sensing as something removed from reality, full of archetypes/mythical figures/hobgoblins; sensing of one's own set of forms.)
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Si is weird, and difficult to describe. Supposedly it's my strongest function, but the descriptions on MBTI/Jung tests didn't really sound like any I was familiar with when I first started exploring these "functions." I wouldn't have used the phrase "storehouse of information," which they seem to love using.

But I guess "general impressions" can kind of fit.

It's a perceiving function (N or S), so it observes and explores, it doesn't make decisions.

It's a sensing function (Se or Si), so it observes and explores tangible and real things and events, even if those things can't be easily described (that doesn't make them intangible).

It's an introverted function, so you observe and explore real things and events within yourself. Like how you "feel" about a situation--"comfort zone" is a phrase that comes up a lot when talking about it--noticing that something is different than how it was before, not necessarily because you can point out what, but because you can "feel" that something is different. Your senses left an imprint that even you aren't very aware of, and it's telling you it knows something changed.

Things like this are why Si is often linked to "resistance to change."

Anyway, you can see how it is like Se in that way. It explores the world, but inside yourself, not outside in the actual touchable world.

Did that sound like it meant anything? Were you looking for how it's used and applied, instead of just a description? Because that would be harder.

I hope Raz catches this thread, he's read a lot about this, and has primary Si also.

If you're interested, I was trying to figure out what Si was on this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e-clearly.html
    Last edited by Cimarron; 01-30-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: typo
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    Cut from the site:

Introverted Sensing
    As for ISTJs, the dominant Si is oriented toward the world of forms, essences, generics. Again, "for both of the IS_J types, the sense of propriety comes from the clear definition of these internal forms. ... A 'proper' chair has four legs," etc. (Jung saw IS as something of an oxymoron: sensing, which is a perceiving function, focused inward and thus away from that which is perceived (the "object"). In this light, he described this sensing as something removed from reality, full of archetypes/mythical figures/hobgoblins; sensing of one's own set of forms.)
    Right, "that" Si. Of course. I can't help you then.

MBTI
    I

Yeah, Cimarron explained it well. Basically it gives you a knack for remembering particular data and factual information, and you can generally relate data with other past experiences. My Si is very strong.
    Here is a good site - Introverted Sensing

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Si is like sex from a priests point of view. Its never gonna happen, if it is not within the things we believe in !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Si is also like: "Oh yeah, it was when we were 9 and we were at the week-trip from school, and I can clearly remember, we sat in a smelly room and that teacher, Jenkins, was wearing a disgusting red blouse, and outside was raging an unpleasant storm, and we were learning summing up, yeah, and I remember it was summing up because I had a 87+19 example, and yeah, you were sitting behind me and it was at that time you told me you have a crush on Roger"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Good stuff.

Si is usually a "cautious" function. SJs (who all have strong Si) don't like to jump into things or have situations change suddenly. I like to know "what it's like" before I can move around more freely in that situation. That "what it's like" is the Si looking--sensing--for some layout of the situation or thing. Sensing on the inside, it's weird. And that's why, as other posters and other sites have said, when people with strong Si are put into a new situation, they don't have anything to sense, so they don't know what to do. They're waiting for some internal feedback to build up, then they can make decisions with Fe or Te.

Letting someone with Si "get used to" something first makes them more likely to accept it and agree with it. Don't push them and don't rush them.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.