• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are N people usually more liberal then S people?

MBTI Type
INxJ
What about those unconventional SPs? Remember? Remember how unconventional they are? *nudging reader with elbow*

Those ISTPs are freaking awesome.

Are you confusing "independent" with "liberal"? N types are less likely to accept the status quo and more likely to question things. I don't think that necessarily makes them more liberal. N's don't fit into the mainstream as well so they look for alternatives. Sometimes those alternatives are even more conservative though, it depends on the individual.

Exactly. There are plenty of ultra conservative Ns.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm conservative, ironically enough. I think it might have more to do with upbringing then? Or maybe I'm the exception.

No, it's a bit more complex than that. Let me see if I can explain why this topic is so fuzzy.

First, you take people, complex fuzzy thinkers, and find some tendencies (in MBTI 5 of them for each axis). Then you average them out and you get a trait like N:S. Then you take those and ask them a bunch of questions about political leanings, of which are defined broadly and subject to social considerations (ie: ask what liberal means in the US vs Europe). Then you take these two, compare the two, and find out that in general, N prefer liberalism and S conservatism, which are political definitions made up of the particular questions that were asked.

So... yah. The OP posed it well, actually. It's not a matter of "being liberal", but of being "more liberal". That is, there is a preference - one side "shifts" towards the other.

Why is this important? Because the majority of Ns could be liberal, and Ss could be most conservative and there would still be more S liberals than Ns. (If you accept about a 70% population for Ss, then it would be ~35% to ~15%, actually).

So yah, just because there is a correlation does not mean it can be generalized to the overall population.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
That's funny.
I don't.
Most of the N's I've run across have a better change to be open or at least be able to explain alternative points of view. They use N to empathize. The big thing I see with S's is that they are more accepting of people and issues that fly in the face of their values if they (1) know the person or (2) can sympathize someone with the person or (3) have a moral code that guides behavior... some sort of tangible connection or standards.

Yeah, actually I should add that it was very close (as far as N conservatism vs. S conservatism). And you might be right about the S's sympathizing if they know a person under that effect more (I know I act like that).

Why is this important? Because the majority of Ns could be liberal, and Ss could be most conservative and there would still be more S liberals than Ns. (If you accept about a 70% population for Ss, then it would be ~35% to ~15%, actually).

So yah, just because there is a correlation does not mean it can be generalized to the overall population.

Yet 85% of the forum are N's and only 15% are S's lol.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
That sounds bad, but do you really think its just because they are S ? Somehow that explanation does not give a sufficient explanation to me

No, I don't think it's just because they're S. I don't think I said that anywhere in my post. I was just validating Jennifer's comment about the behavior of Ss who are already conservative with a concrete example. I wasn't saying anything about the cause of their conservatism. Read carefully.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Becuxz S sux n N rulez !!!111!

Isn't that what MBTI is all about ?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I wonder why more N's have participated in this thread than S's?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wonder why more N's have participated in this thread than S's?

The S's are all busy counting our money and spitting on elderly homeless people. :devil:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That's funny.
I don't.
Most of the N's I've run across have a better change to be open or at least be able to explain alternative points of view. They use N to empathize. The big thing I see with S's is that they are more accepting of people and issues that fly in the face of their values if they (1) know the person or (2) can sympathize someone with the person or (3) have a moral code that guides behavior... some sort of tangible connection or standards.

This isn't always true, though...there are plenty of liberal Ns that can sympathize with people who are "other" than they (gay, homeless, vegan), but will demonize people who have different (or ANY) religious or political views (especially conservative ones).

My NT (and my upbringing) makes me apolitical, honestly. I've seen enough of both sides of things and can relate to people on both sides of the aisle. If there's anything I'm absolutely sure of, it's that neither political party has all the answers.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Few months ago I have seen the results of testing a political convictions per each type in the US and there was a correlation to MBTI and how MBTI sees people.

I don't have a link.

Here is a breakdown by type for US political party affiliation. It actually shows that T's are republicans and F's are democrats (or equally split between the two).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Here is a breakdown by type for US political party affiliation. It actually shows that T's are republicans and F's are democrats (or equally split between the two).

That's interesting. Thanks for that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

The numbers I have seen were somewhat different.

The problem is as I said in first post that I don't have same picture about being conservative or liberal as most people here.

In US there is a connection between the two and taxes policies and a way of spending.
Plus some other things that that can be linked to economic cycles.

Where I live that has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal.

Because of this I think that we are not understanding eachother that well.

Also I think that my society is clearly more to the left then US so Ns have easier time to get and uphold this views.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As some people on this thread have started discussing, maybe you mean traditional ("conservative") vs. progressive ("liberal"). Picking the right (American-)English word makes a difference.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As some people on this thread have started discussing, maybe you mean traditional ("conservative") vs. progressive ("liberal"). Picking the right (American-)English word makes a difference.

I guess that this is what thinking. The problems is that words don't mean the same thing on the opposite sides of Atlantic.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess that this is what thinking. The problems is that words don't mean the same thing on the opposite sides of Atlantic.
Most people know that, but there are still other words you can use to describe the same thing. (or very close to it)

Traditional vs. progressive has a past vs. future connotation to it.

Last edited:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read a study a while ago which found people (in Germany, if it makes a difference) self-identified as liberal were more likely to be NP, with conservatives more likely SJ.

This isn't always true, though...there are plenty of liberal Ns that can sympathize with people who are "other" than they (gay, homeless, vegan), but will demonize people who have different (or ANY) religious or political views (especially conservative ones).

Thank you.

:yes:

Interesting. I'm conservative and not very religious but I pretty much automatically assume when I meet a woman that she's liberal. If she's very religious, then it's more likely that she will lean towards conservatism but not always. With men it seems to be a toss up depending on where he lives (bigger cities = liberal) and the degree of his religious involvement.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Surely the meaning of S and N is a give away.

S type focus on the detail
N type the bigger picture, hence offensive details are less of an issue for them because it falls into the wash of the whole N big picture.

L