• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are N people usually more liberal then S people?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Maybe I have wrong picture but to me it looks like that sensors are usually more conservative and traditional then intuitives.

I have my own theories about this but for now I would like to hear other peoples opinions about this subject.

Also I want to say that I am coming from different political environment then most of people here.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My basic assess is that intuitives find it easier to see multiple views of the same situation and empathize actively with others... so they place less stock on one.

Sensors tend to focus on their past experience to evaluate new situations, and so they have a litmus test of "right/wrong" that guides them.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
S are the majority and are often more concerned with tradition and the familiar. N are the minority and are often more concerned with novelty.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
tradition/new ideas

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I agree with jennifer. Also I noticed people grew up in big cities tend to be more liberal and the ones who grew up in the suburbs or small towns tend to be more conservative. Not that I've done any real research, so I could be wrong.of course some s's that are liberals could have been raised with those values.

wait we're not talking politically are we?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My basic assess is that intuitives find it easier to see multiple views of the same situation and empathize actively with others... so they place less stock on one.

Sensors tend to focus on their past experience to evaluate new situations, and so they have a litmus test of "right/wrong" that guides them.

I short, that is exactly what I am thinking.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No, I am interested in psychology behind the liberal and conservative block and why in many cases the divide comes down to S vs N conflict.

oh then yeah forget what i said. And I still agree with jennifer.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What about those unconventional SPs? Remember? Remember how unconventional they are? *nudging reader with elbow*

MBTI Type
ENTP
because intuitives are geniuses and sensors are f*ing retarded

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Are you confusing "independent" with "liberal"? N types are less likely to accept the status quo and more likely to question things. I don't think that necessarily makes them more liberal. N's don't fit into the mainstream as well so they look for alternatives. Sometimes those alternatives are even more conservative though, it depends on the individual.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm a sensor and I'm more liberal than conservative. Not super liberal, but I definitely lean more liberal.

Basically, I don't care about 'parties' as long as you do the right thing to get a job done. Be it Democrat, Republican, Independent, Green, Tea, White, Orange, or whatever party, if you just have the right state of mind when approaching issues and deal with them in the proper way, that's what I support. And I think other S's have a similar philosophy.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
No, I am interested in psychology behind the liberal and conservative block and why in many cases the divide comes down to S vs N conflict.

I think the best way to think of it as politics being emergent from human nature.

The main connection (S:N), AFAIK, is that you end up with progressives and conservatives - that is, progressives are positively driven toward progress and conservatives are negatively driven towards progress. IOW, liberals like progress and conservatives fear progress... progress being defined pretty openly here.

It's more complicated than that, as I think the micro effect has to do with resistance to idea/concepts/etc... depends how detailed you want to get. But I suppose the above is a good generalization for the mindsets.

Keep in mind that most people are a mix of the two, if not S:N, but in terms of how preferences express themselves.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First of all, S =/= traditional and N =/= open to change. Especially because as utilitarian types, SPs and NTs are more open to change, while the cooperative SJs and NFs are more traditional in their own ways.

Second of all, on the subject of political liberalism/conservatism, I think it's more of an age thing -- young people are generally more liberal, old people more conservative.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
First I want to say that I am coming from different political environment then most of people here.

What about those unconventional SPs? Remember? Remember how unconventional they are? *nudging reader with elbow*

Personally, from what I have seen SPs are not that much unconventional.
Also if you hit them with something thet is very different in political sense or quite complex they will probably not get interested.

Are you confusing "independent" with "liberal"? N types are less likely to accept the status quo and more likely to question things. I don't think that necessarily makes them more liberal. N's don't fit into the mainstream as well so they look for alternatives. Sometimes those alternatives are even more conservative though, it depends on the individual.

Where I live I haven't found an N that is conservative. Plus they are more or less independent.

I'm a sensor and I'm more liberal than conservative. Not super liberal, but I definitely lean more liberal.

Basically, I don't care about 'parties' as long as you do the right thing to get a job done. Be it Democrat, Republican, Independent, Green, Tea, White, Orange, or whatever party, if you just have the right state of mind when approaching issues and deal with them in the proper way, that's what I support. And I think other S's have a similar philosophy.

I said "usually", situation is not black and white.
What you have said is somewhat true but can it be that S people usually see the conservative side as right side.
Even the word right can mean politically right or being right in some situation.

I think the best way to think of it as politics being emergent from human nature.

The main connection (S:N), AFAIK, is that you end up with progressives and conservatives - that is, progressives are positively driven toward progress and conservatives are negatively driven towards progress. IOW, liberals like progress and conservatives fear progress... progress being defined pretty openly here.

It's more complicated than that, as I think the micro effect has to do with resistance to idea/concepts/etc... depends how detailed you want to get. But I suppose the above is a good generalization for the mindsets.

Keep in mind that most people are a mix of the two, if not S:N, but in terms of how preferences express themselves.

It is true that are all mix of all 8 letters but I was thinking in general terms.
This entire things is generalization. But to me it look like that there are connections. Few months ago I have seen the results of testing a political convictions per each type in the US and there was a correlation to MBTI and how MBTI sees people.

I don't have a link.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
It is true that are all mix of all 8 letters but I was thinking in general terms.
This entire things is generalization. But to me it look like that there are connections. Few months ago I have seen the results of testing a political convictions per each type in the US and there was a correlation to MBTI and how MBTI sees people.

Sorry, to be clear, I meant that it is difficult to just group people into N and S entirely, as it's not quite that clear... people tend to live mostly in the middle ground. (Did not mean to imply that the other traits matter).

N:S is a major component (as far as personalities go) in terms of "liberalism" and "conservative". There are others (like T and J with SDO and RWA...), but there are lots of way to slice. N/S is the most notable divide for what you are talking about here.

hopeseed

MBTI Type
INF~
Enneagram
4 w5
Because N's can think in different ways, can exist in the gray area's...because we're smart and have layers :) Sorry, I know, I'm being phasicious. :devil:

hopeseed

MBTI Type
INF~
Enneagram
4 w5
Sorry, to be clear, I meant that it is difficult to just group people into N and S entirely, as it's not quite that clear... people tend to live mostly in the middle ground. (Did not mean to imply that the other traits matter).

N:S is a major component (as far as personalities go) in terms of "liberalism" and "conservative". There are others (like T and J with SDO and RWA...), but there are lots of way to slice. N/S is the most notable divide for what you are talking about here.

Yeah, that's true. I was being playful in my last post. No one likes to be grouped like that.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I said "usually", situation is not black and white.
What you have said is somewhat true but can it be that S people usually see the conservative side as right side.
Even the word right can mean politically right or being right in some situation.

Ok, but I actually know more conservatives who are N than S. Personally I don't think there's much of a trend between S/N and conservatism/liberalism.