Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Types and video games...

Over at DiscoverYourPersonality.com, the following types are overrepresented in the leisure activity of "Playing with Computers and Video Games": ISTP, INTP, INTJ, and ENTP. It's quite clear based on this information, video games have major appeal to NT types. (I will count ISTP as NT in this case, as they are often mistaken as such.)

However, ENTJ was left out, stating they are overrepresented in "Working Out" as a favorite leisure activity. And of course, they are often in the position to use the world around them as a strategic chess board. So to the ENTJ, the real world is their video game.

But I've been wondering if video games do appeal more to the NT temperament more than others. I do think many of them are an NT interest, since video games are largely about strategy, intellectual stimulation, and creative problem solving. Of course, the SPs, particularly Thinking ones, will appeal to games, since it's also about hand-eye coordination. But I think that the obsessive video gamer is more likely to be NT. (And the gamer who throws their controller and gets really angry when they mess up will more likely be an xNTJ.)

What are your thoughts?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

I think we have to distinguish here between video games on a console and games on a PC. most video games are about hand-eye coordination, and demand fast reation to fast changing situations, I'd think they are more appealing to SPs and possibly NPs (I know that I dont like most console games and I dont own any console at all, while my SP friends all love those games.)

Also there arent many strategy games for consoles, and the real hardcore ones are only availabe for PC. So a PC offers more games that would appeal to an NT I think.

Personally I like grand strategy games (Like Hearts of Iron), turn based strategy and tactical games, flight simulations, auto simulations, role playing games to some extent and also FPS, but only in single player mode as my skills in those are crap. I hate playing FPS against SPs, I try to slowly and methodically get in a good position, while they are all jumping around super-fast and randomly, no chance.

Oh and I can confirm that NTJs are controller-throwers and keyboard-smashers .

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    I think we have to distinguish here between video games on a console and games on a PC. most video games are about hand-eye coordination, and demand fast reation to fast changing situations, I'd think they are more appealing to SPs and possibly NPs (I know that I dont like most console games and I dont own any console at all, while my SP friends all love those games.)

Also there arent many strategy games for consoles, and the real hardcore ones are only availabe for PC. So a PC offers more games that would appeal to an NT I think.

Personally I like grand strategy games (Like Hearts of Iron), turn based strategy and tactical games, flight simulations, auto simulations, role playing games to some extent and also FPS, but only in single player mode as my skills in those are crap. I hate playing FPS against SPs, I try to slowly and methodically get in a good position, while they are all jumping around super-fast and randomly, no chance.

Oh and I can confirm that NTJs are controller-throwers and keyboard-smashers .
    Yeah, I prefer PC games. I love playing FPS, but only the story mode -- I'm often more interested in following the storyline than the gunning. PC controls also offer more precision, which is ideal for FPS games. I also enjoy playing space combat simulators, like Descent: Freespace and Freelancer. Unfortunately, this genre isn't very popular anymore. And my computer is simply too advanced to handle backwards compatibility with older games.

I enjoy open world shooters like Grand Theft Auto, but I also like playing the storyline. I notice a lot of SPs play the game, but don't follow the game objectives and just free-roam and wreak havoc -- it can be stimulating to the mind at first, but then it gets boring and repetitive.

In fact, the whole reason I bought an Xbox 360 was to play those free-roaming crime games, which are usually watered down when ported to the PC. I think their presentation is excellent -- I think if done correctly, they would make good movies, quite honestly.

But I tend not to like the arcade style games, where you just run and gun. I like there to be problem solving, as well. Sometimes I turn on the God mode when I play games just so I can stimulate my mind with figuring things out without the hassle of dying all the time -- but that's the only cheat I'd ever use.

And yeah, when I was younger, I always got punished (sent to my room) by my parents for smashing the keyboard, mouse, or controller -- sometimes breaking them in the process.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think there are types other than NT's who enjoy video games. For instance, I enjoy RPG's, Adventure games, and strategy games. (Specifically, Final Fantasy series, Phantasy Star series, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, SW: Knights of the Old Republic, the Zelda series, and Simcity 3000.)

I'm an INFJ, actually.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think there are types other than NT's who enjoy video games. For instance, I enjoy RPG's, Adventure games, and strategy games. (Specifically, Final Fantasy series, Phantasy Star series, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, SW: Knights of the Old Republic, the Zelda series, and Simcity 3000.)

I'm an INFJ, actually.
    Those are actually my preferences too. That and civilisation/human simulation games. (You should try Star Ocean: Till the End of Time it's pretty good.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Ah, there's a trend. NFs seem to prefer fantasy-oriented games more.

I imagine SPs prefer sports games for the console, along with multiplayer and fighting games, probably, because they're more about active competition.

As I prefer computer games, sometimes my budget becomes constrained and I find that consoles are more economically efficient. Still, if I had a choice, I'd choose PC, because PC games have higher technical prowess than consoles, and graphically, PC games tend to look better and more elaborate.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Ah, there's a trend. NFs seem to prefer fantasy-oriented games more.
    I could see that, I love fantasy role playing games, Final fantasy, tomb raider, baldors gate, prince of persia, soul reaver etc. I love solving the puzzles and beating the game.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INTP

I have no interest in videogames whatsoever.

MBTI
    yupp

I like video games I tend to like the Zelda Series, Love Mario and Sonic those are for when I'm alone. But with people I like playing Mario Kart, or Smash Bros. I remember liking street fighter.

Can't say I'm good at them, and though I like them I get bored easily and never completed one.

nintendo8.com - play Nintendo 8-bit games online (no download required)

I've been playing classic NES games on their. The only downside is you can't turn off the music just to the game.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I tend to prefer turn based games, city builders, and RPG's, and it is because these involve more thinking and planning (Though I don't really try to or have an ability for figuring out the ultimate perfect combinations of things to do to.). I have had trouble with real time strategies and more action oriented ones when playing with humans, simply because I have a hard time reacting well or multitasking when action is occuring, it feels very rushed, though this may just be lack of experience.

I think there are types other than NT's who enjoy video games.
    Of course there are, what was described was simply a preference/tendency.