• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and video games...

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
My favorite game type is real time strategy. I've played more Starcraft and Warcraft 3 games on Battlenet than I can count. I played World of Warcraft for a while, but it just takes too much time, so I quit. When I was in college, I was really big into shooters (Quake and Unreal), but not so much anymore. Shooters have really been dumbed down (too much auto-aim).

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
My favorite game type is real time strategy. I've played more Starcraft and Warcraft 3 games on Battlenet than I can count. I played World of Warcraft for a while, but it just takes too much time, so I quit. When I was in college, I was really big into shooters (Quake and Unreal), but not so much anymore. Shooters have really been dumbed down (too much auto-aim).

Try Stalker for example, no auto-aim there. Fear is cool too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I couldn't get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but maybe it's because I couldn't run it efficiently maxed out -- my computer is beginning to go out of date.

I'm a bit lukewarm about F.E.A.R., though. It's got some good aspects to it, such as atmospherics. Still, the overall graphics didn't really impress me the way Half-Life 2 did the year before.

I also like Prey. I just thought the idea was really creative. And it had some really mind-blowing imagery. And I also loved the fact it had kids getting killed -- I love it when games and movies push the limits of political correctness like that. The game also has a really awesome soundtrack.

Has anyone ever played the game SiN or SiN Episodes: Emergence? Interesting games. SiN Episodes has some of the hottest chicks in video game history! :D

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes I really liked prey, it was weird though to get used to walking on the walls and ceiling, though that also created a certain tactical aspect that was interesting.

I liked Stalker because of the realistic weapon physics and the unique scenario, the graphics were very good too, some really cool effects especially towards the end of the game.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I loves the video games. :wubbie: It's probably easier to state the genres I don't like rather than the ones I do. Basically I don't really care for fighting games, FPS's, and Sports titles (although there are even a few exceptions to this). I pretty much like all the other types as long as the game is made well: Action/platformer, Adventure, RPG, Strategy, Tactical, Simulation, etc.... I've spent a ton of time playing MMORPG's and although I'm not playing one now that is probably my favorite genre. I also really go for any game that seems like its trying to do something novel or create a new genre like Katamari Damacy for example.

Mmm...video games.:party2:

sassafrassquatch

I think we have to distinguish here between video games on a console and games on a PC. most video games are about hand-eye coordination, and demand fast reation to fast changing situations, I'd think they are more appealing to SPs and possibly NPs (I know that I dont like most console games and I dont own any console at all, while my SP friends all love those games.)

Also there arent many strategy games for consoles, and the real hardcore ones are only availabe for PC. So a PC offers more games that would appeal to an NT I think.

Personally I like grand strategy games (Like Hearts of Iron), turn based strategy and tactical games, flight simulations, auto simulations, role playing games to some extent and also FPS, but only in single player mode as my skills in those are crap. I hate playing FPS against SPs, I try to slowly and methodically get in a good position, while they are all jumping around super-fast and randomly, no chance.

Oh and I can confirm that NTJs are controller-throwers and keyboard-smashers :D.

You were trying to camp, bad manners.

I'm ISTP and I hate consoles, particularly the paddle controller. No fine control at all, I prefer the mouse+keyboard interface. Twitch based FPS games are my favorite like Quake III and UT2K4. The Battlefield games are a close second, 1942 more than the 2 series which I must have wasted about $100 on even though it's the buggiest game in the history of ever :doh:. Plot based campaign FPSs like Halo/Doom3/Half-Life2 are pretty good but I'm not too fond of getting killed, losing progress and I don't like being led around and being told what to do. I only play single player games since I'm on dialup and I prefer Bots anyway.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Zelda <sigh> and Mortal Kombat. I like a story, and I like to smash stuff :D

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Video games can be an obsession if I let them be. Once I sit down I'll play for hours and hours.

I hate FPS. Never tried sports games, I know I'd hate em. Final Fantasy-esque games look incredibly boring as well, though to be fair I've never tried them.

Don't care about the story, I'll always skip cinematics and talking and other useless crap, I just want to know what I need to do so I can go do it.

Current favourites are diablo2, heroes3. Also like age of empires, warcraft3, starcraft, etc. And if I had an old super mario brothers, I'd play it every day. Literally. I love that game. Arcade games are great in general too.

I like puzzle games as well. Lemmings, whee!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like many types of computer games.

Probably, if I had to pick, the first games I loved (and that actually drove me into the waiting arms of computerdom) were Zork and Moria and Kings Quest and Ultima. These led to slews of fantasy RPGs and adventure games and eventually MMOs. Morrowwind. SWKOTOR 1&2. Grim Fandango.

But I have played first-person shooters (like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake); and I have enjoyed a few good strategy games (like Civilization); and I have done dungeon hacks (Diablo 1&2 and Dungeon Siege); and I played adventure games (ALL of Tomb Raider -- 1 & 2 just captured my imagination); and I have played moral games (like Black and White); and I love the Need to Speed series (which satisfies my occasional Se-style thirst).

And I would go to the arcade a lot when younger. I played Q*bert up until the day I played for five hours straight, then had to leave for dinner with 17+ free men racked up (and then I was DONE... nothing left to conquer). And I played Gauntlet. And all the fighting games (STreet FIghter 1&2, X-Men, Marvel Superheroes, a little Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, Tekken...). And Double Dragon, and Shinobi, and Golden Axe.

The one thing I have no interest ever in playing is a SPORTS game.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Used to play final fantasy and racing games instead of studying when I was in college. Pissed my friends off a lot with that, especially when I'd end up with the higher marks still.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't say that I enjoy sports games either. Though my gaming experience is somewhat limited from my mom's habit of going "Ok, you bought a game, you can't buy another for 4-6 months."

I don't really enjoy sports or racing games, and while I do get some enjoyment from strategy games (WarcraftII, Age of Empires, Civilization, Total War....), I do tend to get bored without a storyline after a while.

Currently I'm replaying KOTORII, and I finally got Half-Life so I'm playing that.

As far as style goes-well, if someone comes down and asks my ESFP brother what difficulty he's playing on Halo 2-"Easy". Ask me the same question, and the answer is usually "Legendary". He treats games as more of a social activity, while I'm looking for competence.

But he's also a bit of a spendthrift, and buys things he doesn't play. We still don't have a 360 or Wii yet, though.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I prefer fantasy RPGs and MMORPGs like Final Fantasy, Mario World stuff, used to like Pokemon a lot hehe...Maplestory, Silkroad....and civilization growing games like The Sims. I also like multiplayer stuff like Tekken!! :D

I don't like games that are too complicated with stats and all that, which destroy the gameplay if you don't plan them out..

I also don't like having to start over when I die..

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My current game collection...

Playstation 2
Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Pro Evolution Soccer 6, Deus Ex: the Conspiracy
Half-Life, The Gregory Horror Show, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Geat Solid 3: Snake Eater, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Red Faction, Manhunt, Smuggler's Run, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman: Contracts, Hitman: Blood Money

Game Cube
Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime II: Echoes, Resident Evil, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Resident Evil 4, The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia, Super Monkey Ball, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Xbox
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: the Sith Lords, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Tom Clancy's Splinters Cell, Tom Clancy's Splinters Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Tom Clancy's Splinters Cell: Chaos Theory, Tom Clancy's Splinters Cell: Double Agent, Doom III, Fable

Xbox 360

Gears of War, The Darkness, Project Gotham Racing, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

I have played most through to completion, more than once for a few favourites, but Pro Evolution Soccer 6 will always get the most play, at least until Pro Evolution Soccer 7 is released.

I would have PC games, but I can't afford a PC decent enough to bother.

I have no idea what any of this says about me, other than that I get bored sometimes...

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I liked video games as a kid, but mostly lost interest in them with the advent of the internet. I sometimes go back and play the old classic NES and SNES games and even sometimes N64 games. The most recent games I got into were the Advance Wars series thanks to the Game Cube's Gameboy hook up and Monkey Ball. There was some racing game where there was a mode where you tried to see how bad of an accident you could cause. I played through each of those challenges with my brother. I always like a good game of Smash Brothers. The new ones end up making the old ones obsolete.

As far as genres, I generally go for almost anything that's done well, and as far as playing new games, I usually look for stuff that's unique and fun. I do have very little interest in sports games and real-time strategy drives me crazy because I feel like everything is gonna go out of control. However, I do like turn-based strategy games a lot.

epsilon72

MBTI Type
INtP
Both of my parents (ISTJ, xSFJ) despise video games; my brother (INTJ) and I play them for ~80% of our hobby/leisure time.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I've been asking a lot of people I know about their type and what kind of video games they like (I know a lot of people who play games). Most people, regardless of type, liked either RPGs, platformers, or adventure/exploration type games, although I havn't talked to a person of every type yet.

I don't think there is neccasarily a relation between genre of game and who plays them, but maybe just the reasons people like the games... INFP's like myself love the rich imagination of games like Zelda and Mario and the freedom of exploration (or at least, thats what we all pretty much said, we're Nintendo fans). Some people with imaginative and creative types said they like RPG games for that reason, while some types who have natural leadership roles, like ESTJs, have said they like RPG's because they have control. Some of the thinking kind of people said they like to play games with strategy elements...

The way people talked about games they like fitted their personalities.