User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Socially awkward Extroverts

I think the assumption is that socially awkward people are always introverts, but I wonder is there such a thing as socially awkward extroverts? If so, how might one identify them?
    Last edited by Giggly; 01-24-2009 at 03:54 PM.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Also, if someone is very quiet, shy, and has poor social skills but starts to go crazy after a very short time of being alone is that indicative of introversion or extroversion?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I used to know an ENTP who was extremely awkward (and annoying). I am pretty sure it was a mental condition causing it though (think he had mild autism, never confirmed though; just hear-say)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP

Yeah, there are some of us extroverts who kinda suck at the whole socializing thing. I'm not exactly sure how you'd identify one...maybe look for someone who's uncomfortable, but still talking to people in spite of it?

Also, if someone is very quiet, shy, and has poor social skills but starts to go crazy after a very short time of being alone is that indicative of introversion or extroversion?
    Extroversion. It's an extremely annoying contradiction. At some point, I need to be around people, even though I'd rather chill by myself most of the time. But no...I have to go out and be all clumsy and awkward just so I can get my "fix" and go back home 'til the next time.

There was a pretty good discussion of I/E and where we get our energy in this thread - http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ime-alone.html

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think it's more common for introverts to be more socially akward because they aren't geared for group orientation. But I believe that there are plently of socially akward extroverts, but they tend to be less shy and more annoying.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've known some extremely annoying extroverts (ExxP) that use their annoyingness to get attention, because it's the only way they can.

They weren't that nervous or shy or anything. Just painfully awkward and seemingly oblivious.

This brings me to something I think about a lot. I'm pretty solidly introverted according to the tests, and it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows me. But if I've been alone a lot, I'll frequently seek out places that have lots of people but that don't require personal interaction - like sitting and reading at a crowded Starbucks, or walking around in the mall. I think I like the bustle of busy environments but not the personal interaction. Should this be classified as needing to be with people for the purposes of the I/E split?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

I knew a socially awkward extravert, the thing was she didn't know she was awkward and was very annoying. I got to the point where I wouldn't answer the phone when she called, and for me I'll answer the phone for almost anyone. because after saying "no I can't hang out I have other plans" she'd be like so do you want to hang out? this would go on for awhile. I'm a socially awkward introvert, but I usually don't talk alot in social situations. But really only with people I don't know or if I feel them judging me constantly.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    This brings me to something I think about a lot. I'm pretty solidly introverted according to the tests, and it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows me. But if I've been alone a lot, I'll frequently seek out places that have lots of people but that don't require personal interaction - like sitting and reading at a crowded Starbucks, or walking around in the mall. I think I like the bustle of busy environments but not the personal interaction. Should this be classified as needing to be with people for the purposes of the I/E split?
    GOOD QUESTION

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think I like the bustle of busy environments but not the personal interaction. Should this be classified as needing to be with people for the purposes of the I/E split?
    Being introverted isn't the same as wanting to be closed off from humanity. I would say your statement still points to introversion.

Also, your situation isn't very useful for the I/E split because it is overly complicated and deals with two competing issues: Do you like large crowds and do you like interacting with new people.