• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socially awkward Extroverts

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I do the latter. If I'm alone for an extended period of time I start getting a strong desire to see/hear them more.

I originally asked this question because I was trying to decide whether someone I knew was ISTJ or ESTJ. I had always guessed him as ISTJ because he is quiet, shy, and a bit awkward, but he also can't stand being alone for more than about an hour. He might be bored or just an extrovert. I dunno. I don't know enough about introversion and extroversion to tell either.

Well, just because he's shy and quiet doesn't necessarily mean he's introverted. If he wants to be with people after being alone for a while, then he's probably an extravert.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The problem for extroverts is that it's harder to hide your weirdness from everyone when you're social... fortunatly my odd quirks are often seen as "charming"... this just ends up making me wonder about the sanity of other people :thelook:

I'd say that it's easier for an extrovert to be totally obviously socially awkward than an introvert purely because they're so much more social and make it obvious! :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'd say that it's easier for an extrovert to be totally obviously socially awkward than an introvert purely because they're so much more social and make it obvious! :)

Yeah, basically the longer the extravert spends with others, the more he/she will be 'revealed'.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
which is why I lurk around on the internet as opposed to hanging out with people all too often! :holy:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You know, I can't think of any actually awkward extroverts right now. There are those who are abrasive and hated, and there are those who are idiotic and laughed at behind their backs, but they all seem confident in the moment.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Everyone has a little of each function. I believe I have more untapped extroversion than I am currently able to access directly. On a few occasions (specifically three) I have experienced extreme levels of confidence, extroversion, and power for no apparent reason. The power surged through my body. I felt my muscles cracking. All three occurred when I was lifting more frequently, so my muscles were already in fairly good shape. The second time, January ‘07, I did an hour of Kung Fu conditioning and was still able to scale a challenging incline on my bicycle like it was nothing—Walter Reed Drive for those who know the S. Arlington area. When I got home I was doing flying kicks in my yard that I would not normally pull off. The other two occurrences were similar. The first time it happened I thought it was a weird reaction to alcohol/Tylenol because I was still a little drunk from the previous night and I had never before tried Tylenol.

I do believe I have a switch for this behavior. I briefly managed to jiggle that switch when I was experimenting with subliminal messages. I was never able to repeat it. I was already partially sold on subliminal messages. I’ve seen enough to convince me there is something to that phenomenon. It’s hard to say whether this particular outcome was a direct result of the subliminal messages tripping a switch or more to do with my hopefulness. I leave open both possibilities.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I think the assumption is that socially awkward people are always introverts, but I wonder is there a such thing socially awkward extroverts? If so, how might one identify them?
A good question.

The ENFPs are more socially awkward than the ISTJs.
Extraverted nature is not extraverted ability.
And vice versa.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I originally asked this question because I was trying to decide whether someone I knew was ISTJ or ESTJ. I had always guessed him as ISTJ because he is quiet, shy, and a bit awkward, but he also can't stand being alone for more than about an hour. He might be bored or just an extrovert. I dunno. I don't know enough about introversion and extroversion to tell either.

ISTJs can be hard to tell. The two that I know who immediately come to mind would talk until my ears were bleeding. They wouldn't shut up! :devil:

Thing was, they were only like that when they were around people. Otherwise, they were perfectly fine with being alone, and in fact usually preferred to work alone if it was an option.

Hmm, how did he prefer to work? Alone, or in a group? That may provide a clue...

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I am a very socially awkward Extravert.

I suspect that ENFPs in general are socially awkward, but I guess I can only speak for myself.

I bounce around like a social butterfly, but when it comes down to it, I really don't fit in anywhere.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A good question.

The ENFPs are more socially awkward than the ISTJs.
Extraverted nature is not extraverted ability.
And vice versa.
kinda true...because we can be quite inappropriate and they never are.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I suspect that ENFPs in general are socially awkward, but I guess I can only speak for myself.

I bounce around like a social butterfly, but when it comes down to it, I really don't fit in anywhere.

aww...just read this. i have a feeling...or a hope i should say that it's just in our heads...because i've always had a lot of friends so i must not be as weird and inappropriate as i think or people wouldn't want to hang out with me right?

i tend to talk to a lot of people and say whatever comes to mind...and then afterward i think god that was weird!! they must think i'm so weird! so...that's kinda awkward i think...but it's after...not during.

is that what you're talking about? it's why i delete a lot of posts too...haha

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
When I was younger I was extremely shy, so shy in fact that I thought I was an introvert until I was about 20. Eventually I realized that I feel much more energized when around people, while I tend to get depressed the longer I stay by myself.

My personality is very much that of a lone wolf, but I love to be around people. I used to go to the mall and walk around by myself or go to the movies by myself because I liked to be around people even if I didn't interact with them. Also I'd try to find groups that I could hang out in without having to say too much except the occasional weird or witty interjection. I wasn't really looking for any emotional connection with people when I was younger, but at the same time I had a desire to socialize.

Even today I feel myself being pulled in two different directions. The type of interests I have tend to be those where a person spends a good deal of time by themself, and yet I really want to be around people more. My E has always been in conflict with my NTP.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Yeah I'm all over that. I think sometimes it is in our heads though. We end up analyzing things so much we can get nervous. I actually went through a very socially awkward stage when I first became a mother. (hormones?) and I just had to push myself through it.

One thing that I think can happen with NF is that we are so in tune to cues that we think everyone else is and can get bogged down with worrying that everyone is noticing every subtle clue about our demeanor.

I also think some of it is when you realize "oh everyone might not want me in their face all the time" So then you end up compensating for it.

It also is entertaining seeing introverts talk about how irritating awkward extroverts are. :huh:

The word awkward is an awkward word.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was painfully shy and awkward for most of my life up to the age of about 28, and even now the only reason I seem confident is because I'm oblivious to whether anyone's looking at me and sorta in my own world a bit, if I ever notice I'm looked at or the centre of attention I totally clam up and just wanna die. People often tell me they think I'm very confident and socially at ease but it's all just a false impression, in fact I'm incredibly insecure and I always feel like I must look a complete douche. I just kinda carry on regardless though, cos I get absorbed in the project/subject/task at hand and put it out of my mind that way.

I don't commit as many faux pas as I used to, but there are still some howlers now and again. I guess I just figure we all make mistakes and hope people will forgive me, and if they won't, then I figure they're assholes anyway so who cares what they think?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how funny that it seems to be enxp's saying they're a lil awkward...it's got to be that overactive intuition...reading into things that aren't there half the time...or something.

i've noticed that i really don't hear what people are "saying" half the time i hear what i think they mean...doesn't work when talking to s's usually.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJs can be hard to tell. The two that I know who immediately come to mind would talk until my ears were bleeding. They wouldn't shut up! :devil:

Thing was, they were only like that when they were around people. Otherwise, they were perfectly fine with being alone, and in fact usually preferred to work alone if it was an option.

Hmm, how did he prefer to work? Alone, or in a group? That may provide a clue...

Ahh, good point. He would prefer to work around other people.

When I was younger I was extremely shy, so shy in fact that I thought I was an introvert until I was about 20. Eventually I realized that I feel much more energized when around people, while I tend to get depressed the longer I stay by myself.

My personality is very much that of a lone wolf, but I love to be around people. I used to go to the mall and walk around by myself or go to the movies by myself because I liked to be around people even if I didn't interact with them. Also I'd try to find groups that I could hang out in without having to say too much except the occasional weird or witty interjection. I wasn't really looking for any emotional connection with people when I was younger, but at the same time I had a desire to socialize.

Even today I feel myself being pulled in two different directions. The type of interests I have tend to be those where a person spends a good deal of time by themself, and yet I really want to be around people more. My E has always been in conflict with my NTP.

I still wonder if you're an I.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I used to know an ENTP who was extremely awkward (and annoying). I am pretty sure it was a mental condition causing it though (think he had mild autism, never confirmed though; just hear-say)

Bill Gates supposedly has Asperger's Syndrome (which is what I'm assuming you mean by "Mild Autism") and he's an ENTP.

I've always though the "Extrovert = social butterfly, Introvert = quit shy guy" is a bit simplistic. IMO it's more about how one reacts to incoming sensory information in general, with extroverts trying to embrace as much sensory input as possible while introverts try to restrict the amount if incoming sensory input.

I've read that I vs. E is associated with a structure in the brainstem called the Reticular Activating System (RAS for short), which regulate how sensory information is sent to the higher brain centers. Extroverts have a more "closed" RAS that sends less sensory input upward as opposed to the more "open" RAS of introverts. An "open" RAS, I'll guess, allows greater sensory sensitivity, and thus is more discriminating and precise, but pays for it in being more easily overwhelmed. A closed RAS can deal with lots of sensory informations coming from many directions, but pays for it in sensitivity and precision.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Sounds a lot like my ISFJ mom! :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, as seen by many cases here, you don't have to be introverted to be socially awkward.

Introversion/extraversion is, to put it simply, how much you want to be with other people.

Bill Gates supposedly has Asperger's Syndrome (which is what I'm assuming you mean by "Mild Autism") and he's an ENTP.

I've always though the "Extrovert = social butterfly, Introvert = quit shy guy" is a bit simplistic. IMO it's more about how one reacts to incoming sensory information in general, with extroverts trying to embrace as much sensory input as possible while introverts try to restrict the amount if incoming sensory input.

I've read that I vs. E is associated with a structure in the brainstem called the Reticular Activating System (RAS for short), which regulate how sensory information is sent to the higher brain centers. Extroverts have a more "closed" RAS that sends less sensory input upward as opposed to the more "open" RAS of introverts. An "open" RAS, I'll guess, allows greater sensory sensitivity, and thus is more discriminating and precise, but pays for it in being more easily overwhelmed. A closed RAS can deal with lots of sensory informations coming from many directions, but pays for it in sensitivity and precision.

That's interesting.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

What the FUCK?????

BILL GATES is an ENTP?!?!?!?!?!?!

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

That is NOT possible.