User Tag List

12 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default Is personal analysis so viable?

I was thinking again about the issue of test taking as oppose to having your type analyzed by another person/other people. It seems to be a fairly common sentiment that the former is not as viable as latter. Is there really good reason for this?

The most constantly repeated reason for being against testing is that people do not know themselves. The human mind has distorted self-perception. Well, this is undeniable. There is no way to make a test that can get around someone being sub-consciouly deceptive, or plainly ignorant of their identity.
    That is a flaw of testing, but is it a flaw greater than that of personal analysis? Here's why I'm skeptical of that.

For one thing, my distorted view as a human being will come into play just as much when I'm analyzing someone else as when I'm analyzing myself. It would be preposterous to suggest that a human observing another human, can do so without any sense of bias regarding that other human. I can hardly list all the causes and forms of bias.

And yet still, there's another problem. Not only do you have to deal with your own biases when analyzing someone, you have to see through their masks too. Isn't it obvious that people don't just deceive themselves when taking tests? People let self-perception alter their behavior and what they say to people. In other words, when you're trying to analyze someone, you are getting information just as corrupted by self-perception as the test would be getting. So, if the informationr received is just as bad either way, which is better for typing someone, a person, or a computer?

Well, the computer is consistent and unbiased at least. It's may be a simpleton, but would good is the complexity of the human mind, when all it does is distort things? The way it seems to me is that if humans are so delusional that they can't accurately answer a test about themselves, how on earth can they do a better job of understanding someone else? The computerized test at least removes one degree of humanity. Isn't only one layer of human bullshit more reliable than two?

I certainly don't think the wide variety of free online tests are reliable, but that simply is because they aren't very well written and that they do not actually follow a standardized concept between each other. But I do believe, having actually looked at the professional science of making tests, that a substantially more credible test is possible.The MBTI hardly knows what a real test is.

Things like this thread are what keep reminding me of this subject. Not only these admissions to such bias damaging to my confidence in personal analysis, but the circus that has developed around typing people sometimes is also hard to respect. There are obviously a great deal of issues with tests, and things run by computers, and a human mind will always be involved to some extent, but it's not a new idea to say that some machine might do something better than people can.

Thoughts?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Thoughts?
    All the time. Feelings? :P

Fundamental is this: The same people who lie to themselves in analysis lie to themselves during testing.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    All the time. Feelings? :P

Fundamental is this: The same people who lie to themselves in analysis lie to themselves during testing.
    I know that. But testing is one person lying to him/her self and a computer, personal analysis is two people lying to themselves and each other.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think personal analysis is good to an extent. Nothing will ever be able to fully explain someone.

With MBTI I think of it like an analogy. The MBTI type makes a foundation for the house, the actual person is what builds on top of that.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I think personal analysis is good to an extent. Nothing will ever be able to fully explain someone.

With MBTI I think of it like an analogy. The MBTI type makes a foundation for the house, the actual person is what builds on top of that.
    So you're one of those house cats.

garbage

This is exactly why there's a big emerging push for assessing someone's ability to self-assess. It'll be interesting to see where that realm of study goes.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

It depends on how much a person really examines himself. If he truly introspects much at all, he'll start to have a good ability to see what he's really like underneath. And I don't necessarily mean in terms of bubble-in-this-choice tests, but truly know himself. Self-assessment is possible and self-deception is mostly assured.

Most tests, in my point of view, are shallow in the variables they try to study.

In many cases it's not really the person's issue with being able to examine themselves, but the tests that don't really allow for deep observation. For someone to truly hold a mirror to their personalities, he has to be allowed to watch himself in a freeform manner, and decide based on that.

Once he's figured out what he's really like, he'll be able to figure out where to pin himself on most tests, not based on what he's like, but more of what his closest-fit relationship is to the test. I now look at pretty much every test I take (academic or not) and ask myself the question, "Which answer do they want me to pick to give X result?" rather than "What's the correct response to this question?"

ThatGirl

magic you're thinking this <> you should be thinking this >< which will come back around to this <><> then finally to this ><><

Understanding the bias as well as the truths and the absence creates the perception as a whole both in the context of outside and self. It all links to one truth.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    magic you're thinking this <> you should be thinking this >< which will come back around to this <><> then finally to this ><><

Understanding the bias as well as the truths and the absence creates the perception as a whole both in the context of outside and self. It all links to one truth.
    theologists should use that shit
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I know that. But testing is one person lying to him/her self and a computer, personal analysis is two people lying to themselves and each other.
    Yes. It's impossible to tell the truth.
    100% of all conversations will involve at least one lie.
    we fukin won boys