• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Define Extroversion

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I like the below description along side of the, "where I get my energy" from.

Image1-2.jpg

If given the choice of being around people or being alone, I choose alone. While I can put myself in public situations, people in large doses suck the life out of me. If I can't get away I turn nasty or as my husband calls me when I get this way, "a nasty piece of work". lol ;P

Meet ups are fine but afterwards I need days to recover. And besides Cafe (she's no trouble at all) and my Mom (have no choice with Mom) I am not allowing any more house guests because it's too taxing on my nerves. Having someone two steps behind me is too extroverted for me.

G

garbage

From the other side of the pond

I'd actually like to hear more about introversion and what it means personally, too. At the very least, it'll help define extroversion by what it isn't.. but I'd love to hear about the other side in any case.

Any takers?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, I feel best when I'm usually by myself, doing what I want to do or what I have to do. Call it being a hermit, but that honestly is the best way I function, and I don't have any problem with it.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
For me personally, when in any social situation, I get very tired as the night goes on. I am just...not as interested in the experience of most social situations as I am my own personal activities and to push myself to continue to be in them is difficult and draining. When out with friends at a bar, club, or party, I feel like I'm ready for bed at 12; whereas if I am home alone reading, watching a good movie, or even watching these forums I will turn to the clock and it will read 4 AM. It is an interesting thing to me and since I've become aware of MBTI and type I've been trying to pay more attention to how different situations tend to tax me and how I tend to react to them.

Also, an important view to reconstruct is the perception that introverts are passive, while extroverts are active. I like to think that extroverts and introverts are both active, however the domain in which that activity takes place is different. If you were able to somehow "watch" what goes on in the introvert's domain, it would definitely not be "passive." We are just as active in our minds, thoughts, and activities as the extrovert is with people, conversations, and their activities. It's an interesting dynamic.

Also, introversion is not "huddled inside of our rooms" all day. It just really means when we do something, we don't really do it with anybody else. I can't count the number of times I've just roamed the streets of Boston, pacing newbury street as I listen to music and stare at the sky, or lay on the grass in the Commons reading a book.

I hope this illuminated things a bit for you EA...
Hmm, I think I may be becoming an introvert.

:huh:

Or can I be both?

I choose, enjoy and need to spend a lot of time alone, whether walking by myself listening to music, thinking, sitting outside or in the bathtub reading, or perusing and participating on this forum. I need alone time to be with me and only me, in order to think without distraction from other people.

I think I need this alone time due to the fact that other people are heavily reliant on my full, active participation of their company. When in the company of others, *I care about*, I rarely withdraw, and feel more than inclined to engage them. Due to this inclination, hanging out with others is essentially spending time on/with others instead of spending time with myself.

However, it should be noted, that the more intellectually stimulating I find my company, and the more I feel I get them and they get me, the less I feel as though I am spending time on/with them as opposed to it being our spending time together, lol, if that makes sense.

But, I stimulate myself better than others, often, so due to the fact I am a stimulus whore, I need to spend time with myself in order to get that fix. I sort things out when alone, think about things that others may very well not be interested in.

I am picky with my company, I don't hang out with people just for the sake of hanging out with people, I don't have much tolerance for mindless chit chat.

I am ranting, the end. :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's very possible you are extremely balanced when it comes to I vs E. If you're right on the cusp, I would think both activities are reasonably enjoyable and if there is more effort required to sustain one or the other, it really isn't noticeable.

I, on the other hand, am not balanced at all. I am very heavily an I, so to push myself away from that is extremely draining.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
cc...i think many of us enfp's have said that about being picky about our company...i wonder if that's an enfp thing or an N thing or an everybody thing or what. because are other extraverts that way or just the entp/enfp because we need to be able to relate in that n sorta way? because i would rather be alone then with company that i don't find stimulating...it's very hard for me to sit and engage when i'm not interested...it's the same with watching something on tv you're not into...or a book you don't wanna read...i just don't want to do it....ya know?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's very possible you are extremely balanced when it comes to I vs E. If you're right on the cusp, I would think both activities are reasonably enjoyable and if there is more effort required to sustain one or the other, it really isn't noticeable.

I, on the other hand, am not balanced at all. I am very heavily an I, so to push myself away from that is extremely draining.
Eh, don't try to be anything you are not, imo.

Especially since extroversion and introversion are harmless lifestyle preferences.

I used to be a major E and then when I turned 12, a major mutation occurred...

:vader1:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Eh, don't try to be anything you are not, imo.

Especially since extroversion and introversion are harmless lifestyle preferences.

I used to be a major E and then when I turned 12, a major mutation occurred...

:vader1:

I understand, but heading out with friends is something I have to do once in a while at least. Part of the "maintenance" of keeping your friends in the first place is that you actually have to spend time with them, even if I find it very tiring in certain situations. It's funny, because I can be out with 5 friends and feel fine, but the moment 3 strangers show up and tag along, I become an awkward social disaster.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
because i would rather be alone then with company that i don't find stimulating...

it's very hard for me to sit and engage when i'm not interested

it's the same with watching something on tv you're not into...or a book you don't wanna read...i just don't want to do it
....ya know?
TOTALLY!!!

:yes:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I understand, but heading out with friends is something I have to do once in a while at least. Part of the "maintenance" of keeping your friends in the first place is that you actually have to spend time with them, even if I find it very tiring in certain situations. It's funny, because I can be out with 5 friends and feel fine, but the moment 3 strangers show up and tag along, I become an awkward social disaster.
Heh, interesting.

I think strangers are fun, especially the stranger they happen to be. :newwink:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Heh, interesting.

Ironically this is the only way I meet new friends. They are friends of my friends, and then they become my friends if they're actually a cool person. I haven't met a new friend, by myself, for...something like 3 years now. :huh:

Yep, I think I'm a bit broken.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh...i LOVE strangers! the stranger the better. :)

G

garbage

cc...i think many of us enfp's have said that about being picky about our company...i wonder if that's an enfp thing or an N thing or an everybody thing or what. because are other extraverts that way or just the entp/enfp because we need to be able to relate in that n sorta way? because i would rather be alone then with company that i don't find stimulating...it's very hard for me to sit and engage when i'm not interested...it's the same with watching something on tv you're not into...or a book you don't wanna read...i just don't want to do it....ya know?

I find that I'm less picky about company than at least some of my NF friends as far as actually "liking" people is concerned, but more picky when it comes to actual interests. Probably because I deal with facts and purpose first, and them with an emotional connection first.

I do notice a S/N divide every once in a while.. it's like we don't stimulate each other in the right ways with our conversations sometimes.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
A calcified unconsciously inspired cognitive tendency to derive positive emotion from interaction with the external world rather than through contemplatiom.
And suppose I don't invariably, or even frequently derive positive emotion from working in the external world, but do it anyway?
Vice versa, or the calcified unconscious tendency to derive energy through contemplation rather than the interaction with the external world is the definition of Introversion, which is the opposite of Extroversion.

Is that the case?

I always figured energy was drawn from the digestive processes...

Looks like I have to learn biology/anatomy all over again.

Oh wait, unless by energy you mean to say inspiration or motivation.
I think we might be better off with that definition, 'cause then I don't have to send a letter to anyone in the scientific community informing them that they'd grossly misinterpreted the functions of digestion, and should thereby recall and correct all texts on the matter.

deleted
wildcat said:
Physiologically, E is an attempt to optimize a chronically low activity level of the cortex. Not surprisingly, low cortex activity corresponds a high energy level.

This is similar to what I recall.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heh, interesting.

so funny! i just saw this! we posted just about the same thing...haha

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really care to be with people all that much... If I'm around them too much then I get angry and then depressed. I need my quiet time. This is why I like using chat and forums, I don't get bothered but I get to socialize.

But too much alone time I can't handle. Once every couple of weeks if I haven't been doing much then I'll get a huge urge to go somewhere.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
i dont think E has to do with being around people or not. i find myself alone most of the time. it has to do more with how you respond to others, i think..

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
i dont think E has to do with being around people or not. i find myself alone most of the time. it has to do more with how you respond to others, i think..

Yes! This is the ENTP way! I spend shitloads of time by myself. But I love to meet new people, especially people I can learn from. If you're boring, I will feign interest until I can escape. I was at a party the other night and I was talking to someone who just had a low signal to noise ratio. As soon as someone else walked up and joined the conversation, I split.