First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

From the other side of the pond

I as a person who consider myself very introverted, have gone on several times to say that most people don't exist.

They are but pawns and pieces that i must deal with - motifs and metaphors until they show signs of thinking for themselves/true intellect and compassion for their fellow human beings
    All of which are defined by the universal principles that i identify

Much like a different land to be discovered
    An introvert is an island that allows guests
    An extrovert is a city that houses and thrives on such activity in varying degrees, and without it the native will feel like a ghost town

true or not so true, this is what came out the side of my mouth
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i like that and can totally relate to that as well. i do need lots of things going at once...i'm on here a lot but i'm actually doing several other things at the same time.

and...an interesting thought about people bringing out parts of you and it staying with you because i'm so drawn to different people and have so many friends who are so different from each other and i do like that they bring out different parts of me...so that searching for uniqueness is like trying to expand your own character or something....or maybe just looking to expand your mind in a new way...i don't know...interesting though.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I don't really like this term "energy" that freud + Jung used to throw around for mental energies, so I think of it as such:

Extraversion is the source of mental stimulation you get from others; Introversion from within.

I think Energy sohuld be avoided for obvious confusion of abstract concepts, and I also think it's insulting to extroverts.... This idea that Extraverts, somehow, are more influenced by others. Extraversion is NOT the same thing as Conformity in social psych, although they might be found to correlate

MBTI
    ISFJ

Extroversion is to use other people as brain cells.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I had thought this way for a long time. Deep down, I still do. To me, it was if you filled your gaps with other people. I think this may stem more from my desire to be completely self-sufficient, independent and my perplexity in regards to others' social behavior.
    I don't know about this. Can you elaborate?
    I draw my energy from seeing people and going places and doing things. I am able to sit alone for long periods of time but I get more tired and depressed, where the being around people is likely to wake me up and put me in good spirits.
    However, I hate relying on people. Obviously I rely on them for my energy, but beyond that, I do not like to rely on them for anything. (as un-esfp as that sounds.) I always have the ability to take care of myself and make my own decisions and be a separate entity from everyone else.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    It gets tossed around quite a bit, so what is it exactly?
    This is how Carl Jung defined Extraversion vs Introversion
    according to from Chapter I of Part I of Conscious Orientation by Dr. J. H. van der Hoop:
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Jung calls these people outwardly directed, or extraverted types:

• consciously seek direction and adjustment in their lives almost exclusively guided by objects of the external world.

• Facts and, circumstances,
    • the opinions and feelings of other people, and
    • ideas in current use,
    determine the adaptations which these people make to life.

• When in difficulty, they seek support first of all from the external world.

Jung called them inwardly directed, or introverted types:

• guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events.

• They are peculiarly sensitive to these

• to what they feel,
    • how they think, about any situation.
    Where these reactions conflict, they seek to weld them into some sort of harmony of attitude and opinion.
    In their adjustment to life they thus take as starting-point their own needs and the demands of their own being.
    They also consult these when in difficulty, and for this purpose they withdraw into themselves.
    Last edited by INTJMom; 01-13-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: did not give proper credit

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

my view on it.

Extraverts regain energy from socializing
    Introverts regain energy from solitude

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

Originally Posted by INTJMom
    Jung calls these people outwardly directed, or extraverted types:

consciously seek direction and adjustment in their lives almost exclusively guided by objects of the external world.
    Facts and, circumstances,
    the opinions and feelings of other people, and
    ideas in current use,
    determine the adaptations which these people make to life.

When in difficulty, they seek support first of all from the external world.

Jung called them inwardly directed, or introverted types:

guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events.
    They are peculiarly sensitive to these
    to what they feel,
    how they think, about any situation.
    Where these reactions conflict, they seek to weld them into some sort of harmony of attitude and opinion.
    In their adjustment to life they thus take as starting-point their own needs and the demands of their own being.
    They also consult these when in difficulty, and for this purpose they withdraw into themselves.
    Because I'm an SP - I need a concrete example

So based on the above, if I get a bank statement in the mail, open it, and decide to start saving more - that's an Extraverted reaction because I'm basing my decision on something external (the amount in the bank) or is it an Introverted reaction because I very subjectively reacted to the balance?

(this actually happened today, which is why it's on my mind!)

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i don't know enough about the teachings of type to describe it in those terms...but...my thoughts swirl about and i like to bounce them off of people...they never feel complete until i do.....experiences in general feel flat unless i'm sharing them with someone...most of the time.
    I feel very much like this too, but I'm not an extrovert.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

A calcified unconsciously inspired cognitive tendency to derive positive emotion from interaction with the external world rather than through contemplatiom. Vice versa, or the calcified unconscious tendency to derive energy through contemplation rather than the interaction with the external world is the definition of Introversion, which is the opposite of Extroversion.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/