• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

Gauche

Well, how could one distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

Tell me concrete examples in particular.

Why do I ask? Because I have a strange feeling, you know, that there are many ESFPs who are being typed as ENFP, but actually they are ESFPs. How do you see it?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We act the same, so its hard.
ESFP's can be flaky and unobservant and miss things, which make us look very un S-like. (I'm not sure why we are this way, I used to think I was an N for this reason.)
ENFP's can be the same way.
We both may appear to be boundlessly happy and silly all the time. But there is a very fundamental difference in our thinking. Since you can't read minds, its hard to tell.

Usually I can tell because ESFP's will talk about facts and details in their stories, and use no imagination
ENFP's are more likely to trail off into "wouldn't it have been funny if I said this" or "I wonder what would happen if," or "I can picture so-and-so doing this." and its actually not facts at all, really, its theory, (even if its not always theory in the intellectual sense.) Also, I think ENFP's may be more likely to be caught in the act of exaggerrating something that happened or change it around a bit, or miss important details in general.

Its definitely not in the actions, anyway, its all in the conversation.

I wish I could think of a good example but I can't right now. :( I'm at a loss for example.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think short has a point...do they take things literal or not? i think n's translate things in multiple ways at once and go with whatever vibe they think is correct or interests them more....i think we trail off in tangents and may forget our original point.

also i think we may seem like our thoughts are somewhere else most of the time...and they are. :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Arent ESFP's also more conscious of how they look? I don't mean that in a bad way, but for instance, they'll like play around with nailpolish and experiment with crazy accessories like us, but we're a bit more nonchalant and chaotic about it so it turns out less..organized as a whole. Also, we're more likely to like have our blouse on inside-out and bump into things, I'm sure. Seriously am jealous at that, since I like taking care of my appearance but somehow always seem to lack their attention to detail.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can go DAYS without looking in the mirror, much to my family's :horor:.

I didn't think this was an ENFP thing though, perhaps it is?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right that's a good point...how likely are they to run into a wall? haha

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh same here, but when I do make an effort, I like it to be...well..as close to perfect as possible. And somehow I always fumble it up *grin*

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I've noticed that too. Here's some stuff I pulled out of my bum to help differentiate between the two:

When an ExFP describes someone, see if the content of the description is physical (ESFP) or a shameless attempt at psychoanalysis (ENFP).

When discussing philosophy, does the ExFP get bored after 5 minutes and change the subject (ESFP), or come up with some bull s#!t theory of their own made up on the spot (ENFP). I'd say in general, the more bull s#!tty and out-there the theory, the more ENFP they'll be.

Lastly, and this is from personal experience, ESFPs and ENFPs react very differently to criticism. The ESFP typically gets defensive and pretends not to care, or starts blabbing about why they shouldn't care. The ENFP will panic for a second, put on a brave face, then retreat to a private place to meditate and lick their wounds.

I tried not to make this sound like one is better than the other. It should go without saying that such an attitude is absurd.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do I ask? Because I have a strange feeling, you know, that there are many ESFPs who are being typed as ENFP, but actually they are ESFPs. How do you see it?

I've wondered the same thing. Both types have that unique charisma and spontaneity. ESFPs are more down-to-earth in their thinking, more practical, and really fun. ESFPs are also more the type to relish the concrete sensations of the moment while the ENFP gets lost in a playground of ideas and subjective connections of the moment. ENFPs can appear more spacey, or lost in thought while the ESFP is more lost in the moment.

I have known a number of Ne dominants and the one's I've known are rather unmistakable. Their thinking in non-linear and creative and they can take you on quite a head trip in sharing their ideas. Their relationship to language is also interesting. They play with words like putty. I have one ENFP friend who wrote a number of songs in languages she invented off the top of her head. They sound really authentic and convincing. She is a teacher and can pull together what seem to be random ideas and somehow it all works.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wow! so true phoenix!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
ESFP and ENFP especially in social settings like "the nightlife" are very similar. My INTP friend kept on telling me how her brother's friend is "very similar" to me and she thought we'd really hit it off. Haven't met yet, but chat online and the conversation is very natural, we also have very similar habits as far as what we like to do for fun at night and energy levels.

He tested as ESFP. Who knows though, might be ENFP? I don't think it's true that ESFP's are 'not thoughtful', just have to pay attention to how things are said and content...yeah, that's vague. He (the ESFP) does say that I have 'bad segues' and jump around in conversation, i.e. randomness and tangents? He seems a little more practical but he's also older than me.

This spa owner I worked for I suspect is also ESFP. Sweet woman, cares about the mind-body connection and all that, but is also more literal and in the moment. Very athletic as well, aerobics and pilates instructor, advanced skiier, etc.

She had some unfortunate run-ins with road ragers and other folks and in our conversation she didn't really get deep into why she thought the other people acted the way they did or her internal processing -- which I think I would have done.

I kinda think that physicality and sticking to the facts (kinda like what Short said) made me think she is ESFP and not ENFP. Super outgoing all the time as well, in a way that I am not. I'd be much more hesitant to invite clients on vacations and such - I'm more private I think and conscious of compartmentalizing?

I think ESFPs of both genders are more likely to be touchy feely - and especially huggers. ENFPs can also be very affectionate but generally we gotta know you like that before we go there comfortably. However, this touchy-feely difference wouldn't help you parse out the EXFPs online. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've wondered the same thing. Both types have that unique charisma and spontaneity. ESFPs are more down-to-earth in their thinking, more practical, and really fun. ESFPs are also more the type to relish the concrete sensations of the moment while the ENFP gets lost in a playground of ideas and subjective connections of the moment. ENFPs can appear more spacey, or lost in thought while the ESFP is more lost in the moment.

I have known a number of Ne dominants and the one's I've known are rather unmistakable. Their thinking in non-linear and creative and they can take you on quite a head trip in sharing their ideas. Their relationship to language is also interesting. They play with words like putty. I have one ENFP friend who wrote a number of songs in languages she invented off the top of her head. They sound really authentic and convincing. She is a teacher and can pull together what seem to be random ideas and somehow it all works.

that's funny too..that's why people think i'm so weird...and look at me like WHAT are you talking about? haha
this is why i prefer the company of other different perspective people...i think.

Now playing: The Kooks - Do You Wanna
via FoxyTunes

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed that too. Here's some stuff I pulled out of my bum to help differentiate between the two:

When an ExFP describes someone, see if the content of the description is physical (ESFP) or a shameless attempt at psychoanalysis (ENFP).

When discussing philosophy, does the ExFP get bored after 5 minutes and change the subject (ESFP), or come up with some bull s#!t theory of their own made up on the spot (ENFP). I'd say in general, the more bull s#!tty and out-there the theory, the more ENFP they'll be.

Lastly, and this is from personal experience, ESFPs and ENFPs react very differently to criticism. The ESFP typically gets defensive and pretends not to care, or starts blabbing about why they shouldn't care. The ENFP will panic for a second, put on a brave face and listen, then retreat to a private place to meditate and lick their wounds.

Definitely.
The ESFP and ENFP are going to tell stories just as fervently and excitedly but the ESFP is more likely to delve deeper into the details of the story.

"well it was so funny cause I saw him 2 years ago that summer when he had really blonde hair and now he has brown hair and its all overgrown so I practically didn't even recognize him. His car is awesome though!"

The ENFP "Well I saw him that summer when his hair was like orange and I bet he was so embarrassed about it that he just dropped off the face of the planet! I wish I had a banana right now! I'm going to go grow a banana tree right here!"

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think when you see an ESFP, you'll notice that they are more in tune and aware of their immediate environment. ENFP are engaged too, but don't seem in the moment as much, and seem more aware of "meaning".

And ESFPs like to discuss tangible possibilities that will eventually lead up to action more, while ENFPs will be more open to discuss the abstract and things that don't necessarily have real-world application.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha SHORT!! that's friggin hysterical!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hehe, I agree, good one Short ;)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

Lastly, and this is from personal experience, ESFPs and ENFPs react very differently to criticism. The ESFP typically gets defensive and pretends not to care, or starts blabbing about why they shouldn't care. The ENFP will panic for a second, put on a brave face and listen, then retreat to a private place to meditate and lick their wounds.

Hahaha.

I think the psychoanalyzing thing is definitely an NF thing compared to any other quad - SJ/SP and moreso than NT.

The last part about how ENFPs handle criticism. Not so! I can take it! Some of the time. And actually, I can get pretty defensive and combative depending on *how* you are criticizing me.

Then again, according to an online personality test, some of my friends see me as an ESFP and not an ENFP. If you don't really talk to me or see my internal processes on how I come to decisions, and only notice my super extraversion and energy levels and randomness and socializing and friendliness -- yeah, I can definitley see that.

I concur with CaptainChick, I think ESFPs are neato. :)

PS continuing with what Short/Sweet said, when I have conversations with the ESFP the snags come from him being too blunt sometimes and not sensing where my boundaries are when it comes to jokes and sometimes I try to take conversations some places and he's not interested because there's "no point".

I also think ESFP moreso than ENFP are more likely to be more serious recreational drug users -- for the 'sensate' reasons.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only person who not only never judged me when I went completely off the deep end in college, but actually joined in and took it even further was an ESFP, I'm pretty sure. And she was smoking hot, as well. If I ever go lesbian, I will be giving her a call, I'm telling you. Absolutely loved her.