• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hehe, dave, then why don't you run scared :alttongue:

Nah, as I said, I was yanking your chain a bit. I only do the fake crying and pouting to be silly. I usually do it over the top, and the other person usually knows me well enough to realize I'm not doing it to get anything, but just to tease them a bit. Overusing that and being serious about it tends to backfire bigtime on you, so there's no reason for ENFPs to do that :)

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hehe, dave, then why don't you run scared :alttongue:

Nah, as I said, I was yanking your chain a bit. I only do the fake crying and pouting to be silly. I usually do it over the top, and the other person usually knows me well enough to realize I'm not doing it to get anything, but just to tease them a bit. Overusing that and being serious about it tends to backfire bigtime on you, so there's no reason for ENFPs to do that :)

If I run scared I won't get my ENFP fix for the day. :cheese:

I like being teased. ;) It puts me in a confused state similar to the state I was describing to Short in the last post. Sometimes I don't know what to feel or say so I end up saying something or doing something silly and it just fuels the teasing even more! :doh:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah I'm not an emo-bomb person. I had two older brothers and learned to "suck it up" a lot. I don't ever use crying as a tool, I rarely even admit I am.

I guess I can be silly trying to cheer someone up.

SNS, I've had that happen to me, just the other way around. I'm 5-10 and my little room mate in college (5-3?) used to be able to push me around because I would be laughing so hard at the idea.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
He's gotten thrown into walls and dragged across kitchen floors and pushed up stairs. (he's 6'3 210 lbs i'm 5'0 120). He says that he grows weak from giggling and I grow strong from drunkardness and that's how I can manage to throw him around. It all ends in both of us giggling on the floor generally. Is that an emo bomb?

Drunken Kung Fu master. :D

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Re: OP (sorry I didn't read it all, I have a short attention span)

It's pretty easy to tell ESFP and ENFP apart. ESFPs in my experience will be more grounded in the "real world," and always come back to reality (Se dom) whereas ENFPs will be more abstract and prefer their imaginations. I know that sounds like a cliche / dumbed down explanation of S vs N, but in my experience it fits.

I think in terms of behavior the ESFP is more willing to engage in "shock" behavior than the ENFP, in other words doing something just for the shock value or to make an impact on their audience. Both types like to have an audience but the way they interact with their audience is somewhat different.

It's hard to provide concrete examples, just thinking of the people I know... subjectively though-- they have very different flavors.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Well, how could one distinguish ESFP and ENFP?

Tell me concrete examples in particular.

Why do I ask? Because I have a strange feeling, you know, that there are many ESFPs who are being typed as ENFP, but actually they are ESFPs. How do you see it?

My opinion:
Very similar to the outside but
ESFP's Se can be seen because they are "restless" physically
whereas ENFP's restlessness (Ne) cannot be seen outside necessairly, I mean it's more in their head.

You can pick the difference up when talking to the person of both types. i would say that the orientation to time is different:
ESFP: it's all now ENFP: it's in the future.

Just my own thoughts as ENFP whose dad is ESFP. ;)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
The stuck in the here vs. looking to possibilities is probably one of the better examples. Both are ExxPs, so they're going to share that immensely outgoing and unpredictable behavior. It's just more of a vibe you can pick up from them. The ENFP is more interested in the things they can go do. The ESFP is about dealing with and enjoying the here and now.

It's the difference between Se and Ne. With Se, ESFPs adapt themselves to what's going on around them and focus on it. With Ne, ENFPs look at what's going on around them and suddenly get so many ideas of things to do, then act on it immediately. The ENFP will just be more creative about the wild things they do. You could almost say the ESFP is just a victim of their environment.

You're talking about an NF vs. an SP. The ENFP employs empathy. The ESFP employs sympathy. The ENFP is able to understand what you're feeling. The ESFP sees visible signs of what you're feeling and wants to console you. If you get an ESFP and ENFP together, the ESFP will be the one spending the most time observing everything around them, taking in the sights, smells, sounds. They're attuned to their surroundings in a physical sense.

You can also tell at times just by what they wear. Both being ExxPs are going to wear things that are just thrown together or off the wall. However, the ENFP is going to wear clothes that are much more off the wall. It's more like the ENFP will wear all sorts of things thrown together that probably doesn't look like it should go together, but to them, it's beautiful. The ESFP will go for things that are more comfortable or casual. It's hard to explain the clothing difference, but I can see it between ESFPs and ENFPs I've seen. ENFPs just have this....interesting way of getting dressed. The ESFPs provide the eye candy for guys.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
The clothing one is true. I always choose the combinations carefully when I dress, but people probably need Ne to see any order in it.

It was a good point about difference in how we see things too. The ENFP spends a lot of time in your head, whereas the ESFP reads visible signs and knows if things are out of place.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like some odd clothing combinations sometimes...and have this fuchsia fur vest that no one understands haha

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Discussions like this are why naming categories for the different process tandems is useful, as I suggest here: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...lity-matrices/14018-process-tandem-names.html

Aside from the common dominant extraversion, both types are similar from having a "systemic" "arm" judgment. Fe and Ti work together in creating "systems" in different ways. You decide what is important, and then go and build upon it in the outer world. (Fe/Ti are more about harmony, either interpersonal or logical). Since Fi is the preferred end of the "arm", both types are informing and motive focused, which tends to be the most friendly (least directive) on the surface. The common Interaction Style is Get Things Going or Sanguine, so on the surface social skills level, they will appear very similar.
Both types "judge" things the same way, though they "see things differently". Ne/Si is more what I call "circumspective", meaning that their perception tends to "look around"; Ne, at past, present and future possibilities, and Si focusing more on the past. Ni and Se deal more with the present, and "moving forth" into the future, from there. We could call this "aspective", meaning simply "to see". (here and now, or ahead).

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Discussions like this are why naming categories for the different process tandems is useful, as I suggest here: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...lity-matrices/14018-process-tandem-names.html

Aside from the common dominant extraversion, both types are similar from having a "systemic" "arm" judgment. Fe and Ti work together in creating "systems" in different ways. You decide what is important, and then go and build upon it in the outer world. (Fe/Ti are more about harmony, either interpersonal or logical). Since Fi is the preferred end of the "arm", both types are informing and motive focused, which tends to be the most friendly (least directive) on the surface. The common Interaction Style is Get Things Going or Sanguine, so on the surface social skills level, they will appear very similar.
Both types "judge" things the same way, though they "see things differently". Ne/Si is more what I call "circumspective", meaning that their perception tends to "look around"; Ne, at past, present and future possibilities, and Si focusing more on the past. Ni and Se deal more with the present, and "moving forth" into the future, from there. We could call this "aspective", meaning simply "to see". (here and now, or ahead).

I need to learn how to speak INTPese.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I'm not an emo-bomb person. I had two older brothers and learned to "suck it up" a lot. I don't ever use crying as a tool, I rarely even admit I am.

I guess I can be silly trying to cheer someone up.

SNS, I've had that happen to me, just the other way around. I'm 5-10 and my little room mate in college (5-3?) used to be able to push me around because I would be laughing so hard at the idea.

Are you sure you're not from Cleaver-land?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Think you can also distinguish them whenever the ENFP is spacing out. As I understand it ESFP's live in the moment and react to the world around them. ENFPs might live in the moment, but the world they're responding to is potentially not visible to innocent bystanders... Clues often included a bewildered look in the eyes when abruptly transported back to Earth by the armgrabbing of a friend who's been desperately trying to ask you the same question trice and failed to miss the typically glazed look in the eyes of the ENFP which is pretty much synonymous to your phone's answering machine going: 'I am currently not home, or otherwise engaged.'

(how's that for stream of conciousness :D)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Think you can also distinguish them whenever the ENFP is spacing out. As I understand it ESFP's live in the moment and react to the world around them. ENFPs might live in the moment, but the world they're responding to is potentially not visible to innocent bystanders... Clues often included a bewildered look in the eyes when abruptly transported back to Earth by the armgrabbing of a friend who's been desperately trying to ask you the same question trice and failed to miss the typically glazed look in the eyes of the ENFP which is pretty much synonymous to your phone's answering machine going: 'I am currently not home, or otherwise engaged.'

(how's that for stream of conciousness :D)

tldr.jpg

Lena

MBTI Type
enfp
ESFP'S...

My best friend is one and so is one woman I work with.
SHE ruins my lunch break,when I would just like to sit quietly
around the computer - there's this constant tapping,whistling
singing and talking.Foolish questions,that she already knows the
answers to.

ENFP's are loud and talkative,but most of us know when to SHUT UP.
I scan and read people's faces all the time,and if I see someone is
a bit annoyed by my behaviour,I tend to stop it.Of course there's
times when the evil ENFP takes over,and I purposely want to annoy
and tease.Damn,I think we're pretty good at it!

ENFP's tend to be sporty,but ESFP's are usually the pro-athlete ones.
ESFP'S are not that much into arts,like painting and drawing- as NF's.

One difference is the the way we dress,like someone mentioned earlier.
Most of ENFP's I've seen are more hippie and bohemian than ESFP's.
ESFP in vintage - pretty rare.They often digg highstreet.
Also ESFP women are into teeth-whitening and tanning lotions.I couln't care
less.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
OOT:
But after reading all this... Is there a possibility to claim both S(i?) and Ne?
Different days, different manners of being. I mean, how does one know what is truly the underlying of it all?
Argh, I can't get it all to work. Then again, it is late and I should've gone to bed five hours ago but this was all so intriguing. Ah, I can't even remember when I had so much fun. Which of course probably was yesterday but then again, it's not now and since it's not now my memories tend to blend together alot, but only lately. I guess it was all those little mistakes I did for a year in contemplation about which one of the "I"'s was me. (I'm not really sorry but I am going to write "Sorry" just so that my little extra venting-area is lost upon you. And I can't find it in myself to delete it. There might be some value in it. Almost like the dwarfes belief, what is written shall never be destroyed. Words live. Terry Pratchett, just so you know. Gosh, I love his stories, especially the ones with the Wizzzrd. Ahh, lovely. I miss the days when I hadn't yet completed it and was still fully into the story. I like being a few years ahead though, given me a lot and cost me a lot.
Hrrm, I was trying to say sorry for the detour. Even though I don't really mean it.
But then again, I do. In a very weird "please don't hit me with that large black metal thingy just because I might've gone a bit awry in my message" kind of way. )

OOT2: I like my hair.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
1. How they communicate: An ENFP will usually be much more eloquent in their languge and much more idea oriented. While ESFP's are more on the plain side, though with education this will change, ESFP's will still be inclined to elaborate on more earthy level ideas and notions. An ENFP will talk about idea's and their percieved information, it's meaning and accord.

2.Motion: Both ENFP/ESFP's types tend to be hyper and energetic. However an ESFP will be more so in the physical world. An ESFP will dingle keys, move around, play with things when bored, scan the enviroment for excitement to react to.

3.Morals and values: ENFP's empathize far too much on their own values and morals then an ESFP in social contexts. Lets take a social scenerio for example: Three friends pass by the crowded locker-corridor, one friend comment's on how ugly the class's outcast is.

ENFP Reaction: ENFP's being the good empathetic souls they are, depending on their balance will internalize the said comment, and either verbally berate their friend and leave for saying that or internally show despise towards the comment.

ESFP Reaction: ESFP's would feel bad about the comment for a short duration but they would not compromise their relationship with their friend, they will go as far as responding with an attitude like "Cmon, that was assholic".

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Holy hell raisers. There's so much wrong to address. I'm gonna use my ESFP sis as an example cuz I'm currently lazy to do it all functionally.

ENFP's are loud and talkative,but most of us know when to SHUT UP.
I scan and read people's faces all the time,and if I see someone is
a bit annoyed by my behaviour,I tend to stop it.Of course there's
times when the evil ENFP takes over,and I purposely want to annoy
and tease.Damn,I think we're pretty good at it!

You're purposely scanning and reading people's "faces"? Did you know that's Se? And actually I'd say ESFPs know better when to SHUT UP cause they can Se-e the people's reactions.

K. Just kidding. Neither of you do. :) (but srs ESFPs are probably quicker... just at noticing whereas ENFPs don't.... notice. So yea, neitherrr.)

ENFP's tend to be sporty,but ESFP's are usually the pro-athlete ones.
ESFP'S are not that much into arts,like painting and drawing- as NF's.

My ESFP sis could care less about sports in general. She's athletic and flexible, likes martial arts, working out in the natural environment (biking etc)-- she HATES working out in gyms with a passion. She's very much into the arts (+ english and the sciences/maths.... well she's good at them all, can't really say "very much" into. qq Strike that, sis corrected me. She IS very much into all of them. Thus, I am now bruised by her electric guitar..). She plays a few instruments but isn't as confident in drawing just yet. She has a good eye for it but doesn't care to practice ATM.

One difference is the the way we dress,like someone mentioned earlier.
Most of ENFP's I've seen are more hippie and bohemian than ESFP's.
ESFP in vintage - pretty rare.They often digg highstreet.
Also ESFP women are into teeth-whitening and tanning lotions.I couln't care
less.

zz My sis' clothing sometimes lean towards a bohemian look. She deeply dislikes manufactured and mainstream crap, though she doesn't care ATM to do much about it since she's still a kid and has to rely on the folk's money. You mentioned a few of her biggest pet peeves. Teeth-whitening and tanning lotions. She also couldn't care less.

I'll tie this up to say.. StereoTyping is bad. Have a nice day!

raz said:
The ESFPs provide the eye candy for guys.

Kindly walk into an electric fence.

Introverted-esfp said:
1. How they communicate: An ENFP will usually be much more eloquent in their languge and much more idea oriented. While ESFP's are more on the plain side, though with education this will change, ESFP's will still be inclined to elaborate on more earthy level ideas and notions. An ENFP will talk about idea's and their percieved information, it's meaning and accord.

2.Motion: Both ENFP/ESFP's types tend to be hyper and energetic. However an ESFP will be more so in the physical world. An ESFP will dingle keys, move around, play with things when bored, scan the enviroment for excitement to react to.

3.Morals and values: ENFP's empathize far too much on their own values and morals then an ESFP in social contexts. Lets take a social scenerio for example: Three friends pass by the crowded locker-corridor, one friend comment's on how ugly the class's outcast is.

ENFP Reaction: ENFP's being the good empathetic souls they are, depending on their balance will internalize the said comment, and either verbally berate their friend and leave for saying that or internally show despise towards the comment.

ESFP Reaction: ESFP's would feel bad about the comment for a short duration but they would not compromise their relationship with their friend, they will go as far as responding with an attitude like "Cmon, that was assholic".

+ 1