• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you admire and revile?

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
What traits do you admire most in others? What traits do you consider to be the worst? It would be interesting to compare and contrast each of the types. After enough entries I plan to make organize all the responses by type and see how it pans out.

1. State your MBTI type

2. Describe what you admire most in others

3. Describe what you find most deplorable in others.

4. Enjoy! :party2:

1. ISFJ
2. emotional intelligence, intellect and wit
3. hypocrisy and manipulation
4. thanks

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
What traits do you admire most in others? What traits do you consider to be the worst? It would be interesting to compare and contrast each of the types. After enough entries I plan to make organize all the responses by type and see how it pans out.

1. State your MBTI type

1. ENFJ
  2. Compassion, humility, integrity, courage, perseverance, confidence
  3. For some reason it's easier for me to figure what I admire. Deplorable is such a strong word to me, I rarely find people deplorable. I find amorality the most frightening trait to encounter in another person. It means that they could do anything and not feel or think anything about it.
  4. I did!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
By "breaking away from the pack" I didn't mean choosing to be alone or anything like that. I meant when people just decide they're different, special, etc, than everyone else, or when they decide to cause disharmony just for the sake of it.

Yes people do that often as if they're making some kind of point. It's the better than everyone else part that annoys me, not the need to be an individual. It's usually accompanied by a superior and disdainful attitude. Like Niffer said it's pointless rebellion that destroys.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes people do that often as if they're making some kind of point. It's the better than everyone else part that annoys me, not the need to be an individual. It's usually accompanied by a superior and disdainful attitude. Like Niffer said it's pointless rebellion that destroys.

When I read it, I took it to mean a sort of "hubris" -- they cannot handle the idea of being "ordinary" or that others are just as "special" as they are, because their self-identity is based on feeling superior or more special in some way, and this need to be "something more" than everyone else leads to a host of hurt and evils.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I read it, I took it to mean a sort of "hubris" -- they cannot handle the idea of being "ordinary" or that others are just as "special" as they are, because their self-identity is based on feeling superior or more special in some way, and this need to be "something more" than everyone else leads to a host of hurt and evils.
Good point. This is an interesting discussion. That type of thinking is often intermingled with feelings of inferiority. The superiority rationalization is a way to justify feeling rejected. When people combine feelings of victimization with arrogance, you do get a recipe for justifying being cruel. I was trying to remember from my own experience people who fit this description from my past and remembered two sorts: 1. rebellious charismatic types who drew everyone to them 2.socially maladjusted people very clearly with 'issues'. Sometimes appearing to have an actual mental or behavioral problem needing medication or counseling.

O

Oberon

Type: ENTP

Most admire: Capacity for self-sacrifice, and behavior consistent with it.

Most revile: The urge to control, and behavior consistent with it.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
By "breaking away from the pack" I didn't mean choosing to be alone or anything like that. I meant when people just decide they're different, special, etc, than everyone else, or when they decide to cause disharmony just for the sake of it.

Yeah this bugs me too, but this dislike is a well-documented part of the Australian culture. It's often identified here as "the tall-poppy syndrome". However, I find it odd that you would share this dislike. Do you think it could be because of your Asian influences? I know that most Asian cultures are very group-oriented.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah this bugs me too, but this dislike is a well-documented part of the Australian culture. It's often identified here as "the tall-poppy syndrome". However, I find it odd that you would share this dislike. Do you think it could be because of your Asian influences? I know that most Asian cultures are very group-oriented.
Interestingly, i understood the tall poppy syndrome to be a case where everyone in the community rejects an individual for displaying traits superior to the masses. There is pressure for gifted kids to dumb down and pretend everyone is exactly the same. The tall poppy gets cuts down. It is the environment/masses, not the 'poppy', that determines this fate. I find that angle on it horrific. My brother for example, was gifted in math. In grade school he would take classes at high school and simply had a high aptitude. Socially he was always very submissive and sensitive. As a result of this combination, he was treated like crap most of his life, and very often by teachers. His fifth grade teacher bullied him and stuffed him in a garbage can once. The whole time my brother idolized him. No one has ever allowed him to be who he is and he is broken and wrecked from it. I hate the tall poppy syndrome. It is the syndrome of the masses, not the individual. Egotism increases exponentially with the masses.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Interestingly, i understood the tall poppy syndrome to be a case where everyone in the community rejects an individual for displaying traits superior to the masses.

This is probably how most people would define the tall poppy syndrome, and it's certainly present in Australia. However, it's broadened in this country to the point where anyone who tries to be different for the sake of being different is often looked upon with resentment and disdain ("Who does he think he is? Who's he trying to impress?"). From what I've seen (especially compared with N America), Australians tend to value independence but not individualism.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is probably how most people would define the tall poppy syndrome, and it's certainly present in Australia. However, it's broadened in this country to the point where anyone who tries to be different for the sake of being different is often looked upon with resentment and disdain ("Who does he think he is? Who's he trying to impress?"). From what I've seen (especially compared with N America), Australians tend to value independence but not individualism.
This discussion has diverged from niffer's reasonable comment, but it's worth exploring. What you describe is similar to small towns in the U.S. I won't live in a small town ever again because of my experiences. In my understanding the worst type of arrogance is the inability to acknowledge what is superior to oneself. The truth is there will always be someone kinder, more creative, more intelligent, more capable than 'you' (in the universal sense). The sooner a person can come to grips with that, the sooner they are operating in reality. There is nothing more arrogant than turning a blind eye, or worse ostracizing, someone with a superior trait. I realize plenty of people only imagine this superiority, and it is more justified to reject them for it if they stand alone, but group conceit is almost always present as well. It's partly why it's so offensive when an individual considers himself superior to the group. It offends the group's assumed dominance.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ

1. State your MBTI type

1. INFJ on Crack,lol.

2. Admire most- have good boundaries, are big kids, easy going, light-hearted, complexity, rich sense of humor, are an individual and are different then me too, people who follow their convictions and lead or minister by INSPIRING others but do not force their convictions on others, accepting, forgiving, thankful heart, proactive attitude, people who are secure, want to grow- seek to understand and are able to be vulnerable, interdependent, bold, kind, takes life by the horns, authentic and knows who they are, I LOVE PEOPLE WHO ARE CHARACTERS AND HAVE FLAIR, can admit they're wrongs and can apologize, are wise

3. Deplorable- having really really bad boundaries, bullying, indifference, controlling, invalidating other people's worth, don't appreciate anything, lack of or no sense of humor

4. Of course, I love sharing and seeing what others share :)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4

1. State your MBTI type

1. ENFP

2. Imagination, compassion, loyalty, emotional strength, intellect

3. Bullying, ignorance, shallowness, lying, excessive complaining (we all complain a little bit ;))

4. Always! :party2:

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
1. State your MBTI type: ENTJ

2. Describe what you admire most in others. Honesty, competence, integrity, altruism, having an own mind, standing up for one's own rights, ...

3. Describe what you find most deplorable in others. All the opposite of the response to question 2

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I wasn't really sure about how to word what I meant, and I knew this "tall poppy syndrome" would be mentioned somewhere. That isn't *quite* what I meant..

I'm all for independance and individualism, that everyone is different and special from everyone else and all that, actually. If everyone chooses the blue cup then I don't see anything wrong with choosing the purple cup just to be different, or things like that. What bothers me is when people act out if there isn't a choice for them to express their individualism, which supposedly reflects their superior whatever traits.

I wrote half a page about this but I decided to delete it because I figured this would be clearer:

I do not appreciate myspace-style emo kids who do it just to be cool, and other people of like personality.

In other words,

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do not appreciate myspace-style emo kids who do it just to be cool, and other people of like personality.

I think these types are trying to prove their emo cred to fit in with the emo crowd rather than establish their "uniqueness". They might see it differently, but I've long since accepted that people tend to be uninterested in reflecting upon the psychological reasons behind their actions, and as a result don't even understand themselves very well.

Just to participate:

1.) INTJ

2.) I admire: efficiency, intelligence, cunning, drive, and the ability to remain collected and coolheaded.

3.) A la Maverick, I don't like the traits which stand in contrast to those stated above.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Type: INTx

Admire: Adaptability, ability to work hard, ability to solve problems and do a lot of things well, accomplishments, friendliness, ability to think long term.

Deplore: Social manipulation, mental laziness and weakness, excusing personal weakness as an "identity", expecting others to have weaknesses, pretending repetition is new, most types of "marketing", whether personal, advetising, or other attempts to jazz things up that don't deserve the attention (examples include anything with "politically incorrect" in the description, dating rituals, etc.), the negatives of the "admire", though a lack of focus on accomplishment and getting something done well are particularly deplorable to be, irresponsibility.

Enjoy: once I see the final results.

heart

heart on fire

If they are following some pre-made script of what an Emo kid should do, how an Emo kid should act and dress then they are not being non-comformist at all, but rather are following a pack just to fit an image. A form of mindless conformity. They may be rebelling against your group but they are simply following another group.

It is sort of the "be different, wear jeans" thing of America in the 70s. Now it is "Be different, wear the right brand of jeans." :rolli:

heart

heart on fire
This discussion has diverged from niffer's reasonable comment, but it's worth exploring. What you describe is similar to small towns in the U.S. I won't live in a small town ever again because of my experiences. In my understanding the worst type of arrogance is the inability to acknowledge what is superior to oneself. The truth is there will always be someone kinder, more creative, more intelligent, more capable than 'you' (in the universal sense). The sooner a person can come to grips with that, the sooner they are operating in reality. There is nothing more arrogant than turning a blind eye, or worse ostracizing, someone with a superior trait. I realize plenty of people only imagine this superiority, and it is more justified to reject them for it if they stand alone, but group conceit is almost always present as well. It's partly why it's so offensive when an individual considers himself superior to the group. It offends the group's assumed dominance.

What you say is true and it is probably also true that even more average people might supress their own unique traits or talents to better fit in with a group. A person can be different but not see themselves as superior or anything and yet others will label them strange if they don't fit into that particular group's cookie cutter model for being acceptable. I often wonder how much this kind of group pressure limits true human potiential for people no matter their talent level or intelligence level.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
1. State your MBTI type

INTJ

Independance. Intelligence. The ability to be rational and logical. Loyalty. Consistency.

Dishonesty. Laziness. Lack of drive. Inability to commit. Someone who is overemotional ALL THE TIME.

Yes 'um!

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

1. State your MBTI type

I prefer the word respect.
I respect people who do not try to find an answer outside of the question.