User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The "shadow" type in the old four function theory, all four letters opposite, actually shares all four ego-compatible processes, but in the reverse order. So as they get older, and their tertiary, and finally inferior develop, they should "grow towards each other". Types who use the other four functions will always be ego-incompatible to them.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP

My IXTP son is a mystery to me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    LoLz

It's mostly just acting like another type. I mean, for an ISTJ, if you can consciously get yourself to STOP the second guessing yourself, the analysis, the what if's, the deliberation, the focus on yourself, you might even be able to act like a perceiver. All those traits that keep an ISTJ from doing things that are considered wild and spontaneous, are like a volcano trying to erupt. If you can reach the point where you can keep the volcano pushed down temporarily, it can be a fun experience. You'll just spend a few hours analyzing it afterward. :P

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I actually get ESTJs a bit though.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't buy shadow type theory. I've never seen it in action in myself or anyone else. When people are troubled, they act troubled, not like a healthy member of another type.

There isn't one type I have trouble understanding more than others. As time progresses, I learn more across the board.

MBTI
    INFP

Would you say more, Jack, about your first sentence. When people are troubled the false assumption is that they act like a healthy member of a different type? Not tracking here.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Would you say more, Jack about your first sentence. When people are troubled they assumption is that they act like a healthy member of a different type? Not tracking here.
    People supposedly act like their shadow type when stressed, right? That's the theory.

And the only way the theory would be worth something, and "testable," is if people act like a "normal" member of this shadow type when they are stressed.

It would be too easy to say that an INFP under stress acts like an ESTJ under stress, because stress leads to some similar behaviors in everyone.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTP. Example characteristics are:

* acting very impulsively, making decisions without thinking them through
    * doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
    * being critical of others, and finding fault with almost everything
    * being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning
    * acting in a very materialistic and selfish way
    * cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values
    INFJ Personality Types

That was me for about 8 years after my divorce...

MBTI
    INFP

Thanks, you guys. I see what both of you are saying. Have to think about this.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTP. Example characteristics are:

* acting very impulsively, making decisions without thinking them through
    * doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
    * being critical of others, and finding fault with almost everything
    * being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning
    * acting in a very materialistic and selfish way
    * cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values
    INFJ Personality Types

That was me for about 8 years after my divorce...
    People of all types can and do exhibit these behaviors under stress, and note that this doesn't describe typical ESTP behavior.